Going to CA SB school on BMW's S1000!

autobahn70

Reaction score
Visit site
I was in my local BMW bike shop the other day and they had a flier up for California Superbike School. They're doing a session in New Jersey in August. Its something I've always wanted to do so I'm doin it! And better yet, I get to use the school's new BMW S1000rr super bike. Holy shnikeys I'm pumped. To all you experienced track riders out there, do I need to be nervous about starting out on a track on a machine of this caliber? Any words of advice?

Last edited:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
About your question my answer would be YES lol... first time on the track is intimidating as it is, let alone on a brand new bike that's not yours and that you've never ridden... :D However, this is a school, so they'll coach you through everything and you'll be fine.

You're going to have a blast...

Last edited:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Get the proper riding gear and remember the throttle works BOTH ways.

You will be nervous (nothing wrong with that) most everyone is for the first few laps then it's "holy cow this is fun!"

8-oji

Reaction score
Visit site
If any of the local BMW dealerships in your area are doing demo rides, that's a good opportunity to test out a s1000r to get a feel of the bike. There was one over here in Los Angeles last weekend. It may take awhile to get over to your area depending on how many of these trucks are running around the country.

Of course they ask that test riders don't do anything too crazy but the experience will give you a general idea of the ergos, controls placement, etc. After riding the s1000r, I'm seriously considering enrolling in a Superbike School class later this year.

Good luck, and if you take the class, tell us how it turns out.:thumbup:

autobahn70

Reaction score
Visit site
The demo truck was actually here towards the end of last summer but of course it was pouring rain... I will definitely update the forum. The class isnt til August

Misti

Reaction score
www.mistihurst.com
I was in my local BMW bike shop the other day and they had a flier up for California Superbike School. They're doing a session in New Jersey in August. Its something I've always wanted to do so I'm doin it! And better yet, I get to use the school's new BMW S1000rr super bike. Holy shnikeys I'm pumped. To all you experienced track riders out there, do I need to be nervous about starting out on a track on a machine of this caliber? Any words of advice?

I'd say that being a little nervous is only natural but that you don't need to be! Taking the school is an excellent way to hit the track for the first time. The coaches at the school (I'm one of them) will walk you through the track rules, etiquette and flags and you will have a classroom session before each ride session. When you are on the track you will have a very specific skill to be working on and your coach will lead and follow you on track. All the coaches pay close attention to ALL the riders on the track and will pull guys in if they are riding above their limits or if the coach feels like they need another tip or a bit of correction, plus the course control and corner workers do an AWESOME job of keeping everyone safe.

This does not mean that you are not allowed to ride fast :) As long as you are in control, riding safe and doing the drills you can ride as fast as you like! :rockon:

As for the new BMW's, I have yet to ride one but Keith was raving about them. Yes they have a crap load of power but they can be de-tuned a little (start on rain setting for example) so that you can work your way up and get used to the power gradually.

I guarantee that after the first few laps you will lose all your nervousness and will have an awesome time! Not to mention the fact that you will come away with some pretty cool skills :)

No need to really prepare in anyway for the class either, just arrive fresh and with an open mind, ready to learn!

Cheers and if you have any questions at all about the school, fire away.

Misti

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Check the insurance waiver!..... ;)

I looked at a track bike in Perth recently, @ $400 for the day - only problem was AUS$4,000.00 that was taken out of your credit card prior to riding. Didn't like that too much, especially since I could buy a track bike for that !

SueMc

Reaction score
Visit site
My hubby and I did the California Superbike School last summer and it was one of the best experiences I've ever had on a bike! The coaches are outstanding and know exactly how to put you at ease if you're the least bit nervous.

I learned more in those two days on the track than in the previous 10 years riding! My husband, who's been riding for over 30 years said the same thing! There's no reason to be nervous! Just go with an open mind and a willingness to learn!

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Autobahn:

Are you doing the 2-day Camp in Willow Springs Streets or a single day?
The 2 day looks awesome; albeit the ticket price $2250.

I'm debating whether I want the 2-day or the cheaper 1-day for $390.

StreetLg.gif

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW, a friend of mine did most of the schools offered in the western US and he stated that the Yamaha Champions school is the best by a LARGE margin. He did mention that Keith's school is OK, but to him, nothing came close to the Champion's school.

Yamaha Champions Riding School

Miller Yamaha Champions Riding School Announced - Sport Rider Magazine

They'll be at Willow Springs in April :) $2300 for 2 days.

My personal recommendation: do a couple of track days on your own first and then see if you want to take it up a notch and do a school... For $2300 you can do 6-7 track days!!! my $.2 only...

autobahn70

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say that being a little nervous is only natural but that you don't need to be! Taking the school is an excellent way to hit the track for the first time. The coaches at the school (I'm one of them) will walk you through the track rules, etiquette and flags and you will have a classroom session before each ride session. When you are on the track you will have a very specific skill to be working on and your coach will lead and follow you on track. All the coaches pay close attention to ALL the riders on the track and will pull guys in if they are riding above their limits or if the coach feels like they need another tip or a bit of correction, plus the course control and corner workers do an AWESOME job of keeping everyone safe.

This does not mean that you are not allowed to ride fast :) As long as you are in control, riding safe and doing the drills you can ride as fast as you like! :rockon:

As for the new BMW's, I have yet to ride one but Keith was raving about them. Yes they have a crap load of power but they can be de-tuned a little (start on rain setting for example) so that you can work your way up and get used to the power gradually.

I guarantee that after the first few laps you will lose all your nervousness and will have an awesome time! Not to mention the fact that you will come away with some pretty cool skills :)

No need to really prepare in anyway for the class either, just arrive fresh and with an open mind, ready to learn!

Cheers and if you have any questions at all about the school, fire away.

Misti

Cool! Thanks for the advice. I'm sure Ill have more questions as it gets closer. I'm hoping this school will lead to more trackdays for me in the future.

autobahn70

Reaction score
Visit site
Autobahn:

Are you doing the 2-day Camp in Willow Springs Streets or a single day?
The 2 day looks awesome; albeit the ticket price $2250.

I'm debating whether I want the 2-day or the cheaper 1-day for $390.

StreetLg.gif

2250? Holy crap. Actually I'm doing the one in New Jersey. Its a little bit closer to where I live and Im just doin the one day at $675. How is it so much more for a second day?

autobahn70

Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW, a friend of mine did most of the schools offered in the western US and he stated that the Yamaha Champions school is the best by a LARGE margin. He did mention that Keith's school is OK, but to him, nothing came close to the Champion's school.

Yamaha Champions Riding School

Miller Yamaha Champions Riding School Announced - Sport Rider Magazine

They'll be at Willow Springs in April :) $2300 for 2 days.

My personal recommendation: do a couple of track days on your own first and then see if you want to take it up a notch and do a school... For $2300 you can do 6-7 track days!!! my $.2 only...

Sounds awesome, getting time off from work to fly to Cali is a real PITA tho. Ill try something closer.

Misti

Reaction score
www.mistihurst.com
2250? Holy crap. Actually I'm doing the one in New Jersey. Its a little bit closer to where I live and Im just doin the one day at $675. How is it so much more for a second day?

Here is the difference between the two day camps and the regular single day schools:

Two day camp: Available on the school bikes only and this year they are using the new BMW S1000's (with four 800's available if you wish to ride one of them). During a two day camp you get 5 classroom sessions and 7 riding sessions of at least 20 minutes. Student to coach ratio is no more than 2:1 and during every riding session you will be followed and lead on track by your coach and then debriefed afterwards. There are less students overall at a two day camp which means that you will be on track with less than 15 students + coaches at a time. Format of the day is classroom, ride, classroom, ride etc.

Also, during a two day camp, all the off track training bikes (Lean/slide bike, brake bike and the No BS bike for the steering drill) are available for use depending on the track and weather conditions. You will also get to ride the camera bike once per day, have your video reviewed by a qualified coach and receive a DVD of both your camera bike riding sessions at the end of the school. Lunch, snacks, tea, coffee and water are all provided.

Single Day School: You can use one of the school bikes or bring your own bike. There are 5 classroom sessions and 5 riding sessions of at least 20 minutes. Student to coach ratio is no more than 3:1 and same as the camp you are lead and followed by your coach each session out and then debriefed after. Format for the day is Classroom, ride, break, classroom, ride, break.

At a single school depending on the level you are taking you can do one of the off track bikes. Level one is the steering drill (No BS bike), level 2 the Lean Bike, level three gets a video review session and level four can ride the slide bike. There is no camera bike available in a single day school. There are more students total during a single day so you are on track with more riders at a time, no more than 22 I think at a time.

Another thing to clarify is about the rental of school bikes. You put a deposit down when you ride a school bike (the office can tell you the exact amount but I think it is $1250) and if you crash the bike they assess the damage and you pay for only what is damaged. So you could crash and pay 100 bucks or you could wad the bike and pay only the max deposit. I always suggest that riding a school bike is a good way to do it, you don't have to worry about tires, gas or repairs, you just show up and ride. So, even though BYOB sounds cheaper when you factor in the tires, transportation costs of getting your bike there, gas and the hassle, it often ends up being the same price as renting a bike from us.

Cheers!

Misti

Misti

Reaction score
www.mistihurst.com

Yes, track days are in general cheeper than a school but think about it this way, if you take a school first, you are going to be sure that you have learned correct skills and techniques and you will have things to practice while at track days later on.

You could go and do 6-7 track days first, but what if you have bad riding habits and you keep practicing those bad habits over and over again? When you finally get to a school it is going to be harder to change those bad habits.

Also, you are going to be less likely to make big mistakes and end up crashing if you have taken a riding school FIRST which adds up to BIG savings down the road. Spend the money up front on things like riding schools/coaching, proper riding gear, and things like crash guards/frame sliders for your bike and you will save a ton of money in the long run.
:D

Misti

, get comfortable on the track and have a bag full or riding "tools" to practice down the road when you go to a track day.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds awesome, getting time off from work to fly to Cali is a real PITA tho. Ill try something closer.

Per the website I posted:

»Thu & Fri, Mar 25 & 26, Las Vegas • click to register via MotorsportsReg.com | Official MMPSchools Registration Provider

»Wed & Thu, Apr 21 & 22, Willow Springs Raceway • registration coming soon

»Fri & Sat, May 7 & 8, Carolina Motorsports Park • registration coming soon

»Tue & Wed, May 18 & 19, New Jersey • SOLD OUT

»Thu & Fri, Jun 10 & 11 • click to register via MotorsportsReg.com | Official MMPSchools Registration Provider

»Mon & Tue, Aug 16 & 17 • click to register via MotorsportsReg.com | Official MMPSchools Registration Provider

»Mon & Tue, Sep 20 & 21 • click to register via MotorsportsReg.com | Official MMPSchools Registration Provider

So they're going around...

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, track days are in general cheeper than a school but think about it this way, if you take a school first, you are going to be sure that you have learned correct skills and techniques and you will have things to practice while at track days later on.

You could go and do 6-7 track days first, but what if you have bad riding habits and you keep practicing those bad habits over and over again? When you finally get to a school it is going to be harder to change those bad habits.

Also, you are going to be less likely to make big mistakes and end up crashing if you have taken a riding school FIRST which adds up to BIG savings down the road. Spend the money up front on things like riding schools/coaching, proper riding gear, and things like crash guards/frame sliders for your bike and you will save a ton of money in the long run.
:D

Misti

, get comfortable on the track and have a bag full or riding "tools" to practice down the road when you go to a track day.

Sure, but for $150 I get as many sessions on the track as your $2400 wkd school, and I can ask any coach from the track org. to follow me around a session and give me free advice on what I am doing wrong. Then I can work on that all day long as well.

I am not saying that doing a school is worthless... it's great, but my opinion is that doing a track day or 2 before doing a school may not be a terrible idea either... you'll be familiar with "going to the track", you'll be less stressed, maybe you'll already know some skills you specifically want to work on and ask the pro instructors etc... And then there are the people who just don't want to spend a few grand doing a school that one may argue won't get you much more than doing a few track days... I mean $2400 will cover 2 years of track days for me!! So it's either 1 wkd of school and I am done for 2 years, or it's 2 years of track days every 3 months :)

Just a different perspective is all :thumbup: