How would you define a "good" rider?

Misti

Reaction score
www.mistihurst.com
What do you guys think are the attributes that make someone a "good" rider? It is smoothness, how fast they are, lack of crashes, their ability to read traffic or "see" the road, a combination of all of the above?

Misti

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Street: Smooth, in control, geared up and respectful of others on the road (includes not riding like a dangerous squid).

Track: Smooth, in control, geared up, and FAST!!!! :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmmm....

On the road...someone that knows their bike, how it is set up, what it's limitations are, that they ride within their own limits, are not a hazard to other road users, decent gear, decent bike set up....safe - good tyres, right tyre pressure, brakes that work properly...

And i reckon it doesnt change much for the track...except, obviously, the should not ride on the road, like you do on the track...would never ride above 7/10th's on the road....but as for the track...well that's just a question of how committed you are...and what your goals are...fun, or to be the best!

:thumbup:

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My instructors always said "KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!" and today when I ride, I hear it in my head, lol kind of weird.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Someone who rides within their limitations, gears up properly and looks well ahead of where they are going rather than six feet in front of them.

Someone that anticipates what's coming from all other road users.

Keeping the right line on the roads.

Not being a poser when you ride (but still making sure people are looking at you and your fine looking steed.....) ;)

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
@ track = their average lap times ... the only real pointer how "good" somebody is.

@ the road = overal riding skills, the complete package.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
being able to do stoppies, wheelies (in circles,at speed,past police etc),100mph rolling burnouts while lane splitting through heavy traffic on a blind corner ..these are the attributes all good riders should aspire to.

Now where did i leave my flipflops and keys to the GIXXER

Misti

Reaction score
www.mistihurst.com
A couple people here have mentioned the ability to look far ahead as being an attribute of a "good" rider. I find that some people are naturally able to do this and others need a lot of training, coaching and practice to be able to do this. Why do you think some people are naturally able to look far ahead while others aren't? And how do you go about teaching someone that is having difficulty?

Misti

Knabel

Reaction score
Visit site
Wonder if it has to do with how someone drives. If someone has practiced that since they started driving, would it not make sense they transfer that skill to riding.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This guy is not good...........he's incredible!!!! and very very very Lucky!!! (DO NOT EVER ATEMPT THE RIDING EXHIBITED IN THIS VIDEO YOU WILL DIE!!) :BLAA: :rockon: :rockon: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgcklao2UhU]YouTube - Ghost Rider 3 - Goes Crazy In Europe extrait[/ame]

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A couple people here have mentioned the ability to look far ahead as being an attribute of a "good" rider. I find that some people are naturally able to do this and others need a lot of training, coaching and practice to be able to do this. Why do you think some people are naturally able to look far ahead while others aren't? And how do you go about teaching someone that is having difficulty?

Misti
I think some people have been riding bicycles for too long and are in the habit of looking right in front of them instead of way ahead, as you do on a bike.

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This guy is not good...........he's incredible!!!! and very very very Lucky!!! (DO NOT EVER ATEMPT THE RIDING EXHIBITED IN THIS VIDEO YOU WILL DIE!!) :BLAA: :rockon: :rockon: YouTube - Ghost Rider 3 - Goes Crazy In Europe extrait
Sure is talented, but keep it on the track.

He's putting his life and others at risk.

Just takes one cager to change lanes or a pedestrian to cross in front of him.

Sorry, I'm Mrs Sensible today.... ;)

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
Now that's a question with a million different answers. I'd go with someone who:

knows their limitations
knows the limitations of their machine
thinks and practices safety
considers others safety as well
wears the appropriate gear
seeks and practices riding techniques to be a better rider
being prepared mentally, physically, and emotionally
keeping their ride in top condition (maintanence wise)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it (smile)..

Misti

Reaction score
www.mistihurst.com
Wonder if it has to do with how someone drives. If someone has practiced that since they started driving, would it not make sense they transfer that skill to riding.

I think this is part of it. When I first learned to drive my instructor said, "you must be a skier." I said that yes I had been skiing since I was two years old and asked him how he knew. He said that skiers naturally shoulder-checked and had better awareness of their surroundings than non skiers do. I found that pretty interesting.

So, I think that how you drive is part of it, how aware you are naturally, if you played sports etc. Some people are naturally able to sense their surroundings better and look further ahead while riding, others have to be taught.

How do you 'teach' this?

I like questions :cheer:

Misti

Winterborn

Reaction score
Visit site
I think this is part of it. When I first learned to drive my instructor said, "you must be a skier." I said that yes I had been skiing since I was two years old and asked him how he knew. He said that skiers naturally shoulder-checked and had better awareness of their surroundings than non skiers do. I found that pretty interesting.

So, I think that how you drive is part of it, how aware you are naturally, if you played sports etc. Some people are naturally able to sense their surroundings better and look further ahead while riding, others have to be taught.

How do you 'teach' this?

I like questions :cheer:

Misti

"Spatial Apperception" helps too.

I don't think it's a coincidence that I near maxed the US Navy/Marine Corps pilot selection test, and that with all the riding I do I've been pretty good at dodging even close calls with other vehicles.

If you want to see what I mean you can try it for yourself. The practice tests are online (google "ASTB study guides") the spatial apperception is really the eliminator section of it--basically it give you pictures of a plane in a given orientation to the ground, which you then have to match to a ****pit view. You've got to answer these quickly too.

Misti

Reaction score
www.mistihurst.com
"Spatial Apperception" helps too.

I don't think it's a coincidence that I near maxed the US Navy/Marine Corps pilot selection test, and that with all the riding I do I've been pretty good at dodging even close calls with other vehicles.

If you want to see what I mean you can try it for yourself. The practice tests are online (google "ASTB study guides") the spatial apperception is really the eliminator section of it--basically it give you pictures of a plane in a given orientation to the ground, which you then have to match to a ****pit view. You've got to answer these quickly too.

Practice tests like that are cool. You can also practice visual skills while riding or driving that help with your spacial awareness. Things like trying to pull your vision out "WIDE" and not allow yourself to have tunnel vision help. Also, teaching yourself to look into a corner BEFORE you actually turn the bike in is helpful too. A lot of riders look and turn the bike at the same time but they would get a lot more info about the corner (and slow down their perception of speed) if they looked into the turn first.

Has anyone done this and noticed a difference?

Misti

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Practice tests like that are cool. You can also practice visual skills while riding or driving that help with your spacial awareness. Things like trying to pull your vision out "WIDE" and not allow yourself to have tunnel vision help. Also, teaching yourself to look into a corner BEFORE you actually turn the bike in is helpful too. A lot of riders look and turn the bike at the same time but they would get a lot more info about the corner (and slow down their perception of speed) if they looked into the turn first.

Has anyone done this and noticed a difference?

Misti

I noticed something similar to this. My first trip on a section of road I never had been on before taught me to look ahead before you turn. I was bad before my schooling for turning and looking after. Problem is if you don't look ahead, you may miss the truck just about to reach an intersection or a kids ball flying toward the road, which can lead to a disaster. I nearly died as a result of missing the truck turning because I wasn't looking. He could not see me but I sure could have seen him if I looked. Changed the way I rode, and motorcycle school greatly helped with this.

As for teaching people how to do it, I actually found sports helped a great deal. Coming from hockey, you need to be able to look all around and be able to judge things before they happen. I have applied this technique to road riding and find if you calculate everything that is happening around you, you can determine the dangers and find the best and safest place to be. An example is if you constantly see a car weaving with no signal light coming behind or in front of you, you can percieve that he will do it again and cause something bad to happen. The car driving experience and how it relates I can't help with, seeing as I have never driven a car. But my girlfriend who just took her course has noticed a vast improvement in her car driving and looking from taking the bike safety course.

A good rider on the street is one who never rides over the limits of the road and his skills/bike. Will be geared up and as safe as possible, always limiting his chance for danger by watching EVERYTHINB around him/her. Always looking for a chance to improve the skills they have and wants to perfect him/her self. On the track it comes down to knowing how to push your limits and keep pushing them. They will crash, but learn how to over come it and better their riding.