My bike has 0.3 miles on it, I dropped it, and now it won't start. HELP!!

thealiasofMarc

Reaction score
Visit site
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction here... I just got my FZ6 TODAY (Blue '07, 0 miles), *and in accordance with the way my life works* I dropped it while cornering in my apartment complex. This is my second bike after a Ninja 250 (which I've had for about 6-7 months now, and I'm quite comfortable on).

I couldn't have been doing more than 10 mph, but with the combination of brand new/cold tires (it's in the 40's) and me being unaccustomed to the weight/size/feel of the bike, it ended up laying on it's left side... The actual damage isn't much, and I'm not so worried about some scratches... (After the initial raging bellows of obscenities...) but now it won't start. :(

It seems like it's an electrical problem of sorts, like maybe the starter isn't getting full power ? The dash has power and the emergency flashers/signals work. I don't know if the headlights are supposed to work without the engine running, but they weren't coming on. When I try to start it, it just makes a rapid clicking noise and then the dash resets. Maybe there's a short somewhere in the ignition system?? I looked around and I didn't see anything obvious. :/ I know I've experienced similar symptoms with my car before and it ended up being the battery. I can't exactly go to Yamaha about this, and the dealer shipped it to me from 270 miles away.... soooooo I don't know what to do.

PLEASE HELP!

Thank you.

(Oh, and 'NOTE TO SELF': next time just pay more for the damn frame sliders at the local motorcycle shop instead of ordering them online and not waiting for them to arrive... way to go, ya big dummy)

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
EDIT - just read the part about the clicking. I'd check the battery connections, hook it up to a tender, or try push starting it....if none of that works then you'll have to dig deaper (or bring it back!) I was originally thinking...........

Lean Angle Sensor ? - automatically kills the engine if the bike is tipped over.

You can check for the code in diagnostic mode (instructions are in the manual (manual can be found on this site))

Try unhooking the battery for a few minutes to reset the ECU.

Last edited:

teslas

Reaction score
Visit site
.3 miles? IT sounds like the dealership didnt even take the bike for a test ride after assembling it for you.

I'm not much on Fuel INjected bikes, but a nonstarting dropped carburated bike would probably point to flooded carbs which would be cleared out after opening the throttle full on (while off) and playing with the starter for a few minutes.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
IT sounds like the dealership didnt even take the bike for a test ride after assembling it for you.

Hard to blame the dealer I think! The bike must have started and ran for him to take it for a ride. I would also start with the battery connections and work from there.

thealiasofMarc

Reaction score
Visit site
.3 miles? IT sounds like the dealership didnt even take the bike for a test ride after assembling it for you.

I'm not much on Fuel INjected bikes, but a nonstarting dropped carburated bike would probably point to flooded carbs which would be cleared out after opening the throttle full on (while off) and playing with the starter for a few minutes.

Yeah, I guess they didn't. Pretty sure it was assembled last night and then they delivered it first thing this morning. I don't think they rode it at all before loading it up in the trailer. It was however starting right up before I dropped it. :confused:

As for carburated bikes to EFI -- I know what you mean, my Ninja 250 is carburated, and I had a similar incident when I first got that bike... but the carbs flood and then 15 min later you can start up again. This is a totally different problem.

I still can't believe I dropped my brand new bike! :banghead: I've never spent so much money on anything before... I just might cry myself to sleep tonight.:( F my life.

thealiasofMarc

Reaction score
Visit site
I would also start with the battery connections and work from there.

Yeah, I'm going to start again with looking there (though I looked and didn't see anything obvious) I'll bust out the multimeter and see where I'm at with voltage... I was out there for a good hour earlier today trying to figure it out, but then it got too cold and I was forced to move it to the nearest parking space for the night (which is supposed to require a decal, but oh well). I couldn't exactly push it up the hill to the visitors parking...

Can someone please describe to me exactly how to do a push start??
Thanks.

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
well, congratulations on the new bike , shyt happens , once you start riding and enjoying it,you'll forget about this little accident....

although i dont know where it is or how to reset it but lean sensor could be the cause,,,also you should check the battery connections,,even if it is just a little bit loose it might do that clicking sound instead of starting it...good luck and let us know the cause

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
.3 miles?

Sorry i missed that part.:thumbup:

Here is how mine was delivered, and I talked to the guy that test rode it. They must have a way to reset the the odometer.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
push it as far up the hill towards the visitors parking as you can (go diagnol)

put the bike in N and get on it

turn key to ON/RUN position

run w/ the bike under you (if you're tall enough)...i.e., push the bike as fast as you can (10 MPH should do it)

QUICKLY!: kick it into 2nd, dump the clutch, and thumb the starter

You may also need to be prepared to work the clutch and the throttle to get the engine going and/or prevent it from stahling, and/or prevent yourself from crashing!

this can also be done on flat ground by yourself but it helps to have a friend push you.

IMHO, everyone should know how to do this for safety reasons.

Next steps...get some frame sliders and post some pictures of the damage.

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site

Can someone please describe to me exactly how to do a push start??
Thanks.

put the bike in neutral ,hop on the bike,,,let someone push the bike , when you reach a running speed pull the clutch put the bike in 2nd gear,,,release the clutch,,,it should start fine...you could even run with the bike yourself if there is nobody to help...just release the clutch on 2 nd gear while running,,,but pull it back quickly so that the bike wont take off without you :)

make sure the igniton and the kill switch is on before doing anything

H

HavBlue

push it as far up the hill towards the visitors parking as you can (go diagnol)

put the bike in N and get on it

turn key to ON/RUN position

run w/ the bike under you (if you're tall enough)...i.e., push the bike as fast as you can (10 MPH should do it)

QUICKLY!: kick it into 2nd, dump the clutch, and thumb the starter

You may also need to be prepared to work the clutch and the throttle to get the engine going and/or prevent it from stahling, and/or prevent yourself from crashing!

this can also be done on flat ground by yourself but it helps to have a friend push you.

IMHO, everyone should know how to do this for safety reasons.

Next steps...get some frame sliders and post some pictures of the damage.

DI, if the lean angle cutoff switch remains activated you can push it all you want and it will not start (you know this). The switch, which is actually a sensor that sends a signal to the ECU will read between roughly .4 and 1.4vdc if the bike is upright and roughly 3.8 to 4.2vdc if the bike is at a 70+ degree down angle. The nice thing about diagnostic mode is it will give the voltage on the display. If the switch doesn't respond to the bike being brought up it will need to be replaced because it really isn't an off/on switch like the fuel pump cut-off in some cages. This switch has no reset.

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
tolgatt must have put me on ignore...reposting all my info in 2 separate posts *shrug*

lol , i really didnt do it on purpose , this one we were writing at the same time,,but i dont recall the other two,,,which posts were they? i apologize , i forgot to unignore your posts ;)

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Mine only had .3 on it as well when i took ownership. i saw it roll out of the shop with all 0's and then they took it on a very short test ride since it was 29 degrees F out (must have been too cold for them).

H

HavBlue

Mine only had .3 on it as well when i took ownership. i saw it roll out of the shop with all 0's and then they took it on a very short test ride since it was 29 degrees F out (must have been too cold for them).

Ya think? I know a couple of folks that won't ride their new bike home. Rather they trailer it due to superstition. I have yet to figure than one out.

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
i always remember this video,,,i dont even know what to think :Flash:

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xtxj-RSvqs[/nomedia]