Swingarm Bracing

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a way down the road project, but does anyone know of a US shop that will do swingarm bracing? Or will an older R6 arm fit? An older R6 arm I'm thinking, as it isn't cast, a shock point could be fab'd up for it pretty easily and welded on. And no, I don't want to make a dragbike out of it.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
how much shorter is the R6 arm?

have you moved forward on the R1 shock? I have not due to wedding planning, a lot of work, and a little partying mixed in...sorry....I will certainly let you know once I do.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
how much shorter is the R6 arm?

have you moved forward on the R1 shock? I have not due to wedding planning, a lot of work, and a little partying mixed in...sorry....I will certainly let you know once I do.

I need to look closer at the R6 arm, measurements, mount points, etc. This is simply a first look.

I took the rear end of the bike apart the other night and dry fit the R1 Shock. I ordered up a few OEM parts, a bolt, a collar (really a bushing), and a nut. I still need to scare up some high quality stainless steel washers. With this hand full of stuff I know I can get the bottom bolt attached correctly and I THINK the top mount. The OEM hardware was all of $6.75 or so, $16.95 to ship!

Once I get the parts all I need to do is cut the collar to the right size for the lower bolt (which I will be using the top bolt), and then bolt together the top bolt using the washers as spacers.

I think it will work! :)

Of course I'll take photos of the work and p/n's if it works.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Damn Pete, you should have bought the bike in pieces and saved yourself some money on the purchase price. I'm trying to figure out what on the bike you haven't taken apart yet. :)

For stainless steel fasteners, try the Austin Bolt Company. It helps if you can go in with a well organized list of what you need. They'll like you better then.

Fred

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn Pete, you should have bought the bike in pieces and saved yourself some money on the purchase price. I'm trying to figure out what on the bike you haven't taken apart yet. :)

For stainless steel fasteners, try the Austin Bolt Company. It helps if you can go in with a well organized list of what you need. They'll like you better then.

Fred

I haven't taken apart the fairing, nor has the front fender come off...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Whold this be a hard job to do?

Well...to brace the existing swingarm it is pretty straight forward. To install an R6 looks pretty complex. After I posted this I looked at old and new R6 Arms in Ebay and all of them are braced on the top of the swingarm. The problem with that configuration is the FZ exhaust system runs up the back of the engine to the seat area. It would have to be moved, ouch. It can be done pretty easy as the guy in the You Tube video did. Or you could fab up a bracket to hold a muffler on a traditional exhaust system.

I was searching the web and the drag bike guys do weld all kinds of crap onto a swingarms, brackets, bottle holders, etc. They also LOVE the braced look. At this place Swingarms will do underbracing for $175. I need to call them and ask a few questions.

So...I think having a brace welded on would be the easiest way to go.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I found this as well looks like an FZ6

www.metmachex.net

Says Fazer600 but there are pictures of it on another forum ;) from both sides and it is an FZ6.

SWINGARM-BOTBRACE-YAMAHA-PFAZER60000.JPG

Not cheap thou.:(

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
R6 to FX Swingarm UTube

Hey Boys and Girls - Check out this R6 swingarm conversion...found this over on SBN...the only think I don't like about this is losing the under seat exhaust, I like my cans and I think the Laser would be way too loud.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPRXmufhqgg"]YouTube - Yamaha FZ6 com escora da R6[/ame]