How to Repack Two Brothers Exhaust (Carbon)

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Well it's time (past time actually) to re-pack my Two Brothers carbon exhaust cans. You DID know that you have to repack them right? ;)

From the Two Brothers website:

All Two Brothers Racing canisters are rebuildable. The length of time between repacks varies depending on the type of riding you do and the type of bike you own. Inline fours and sixes are generally very easy on the packing material while singles and big twins tend to be harsh on the packing. We’ve seen sport touring bikes with over 60,000 miles on the mufflers where the packing looked as good as new while we’ve also seen big superbike twins with lot’s of track time burn through the packing in less than 2,000 miles. If you need to repack your canister(s), repack kits are available (one repack kit per canister). The kits come with new rivets, packing material and a drill bit (#30) to remove the old rivets

So I purchased x2 TB repacking kits from BikeBandit.com

BikeBandit Part # TR-592714
Two Bros Part # 005-10038

0000_Two_Brothers_Racing_Muffler_Repack_Kit_--.jpg

Cost: $18.86US (each pack- 2 required)

Shipping: $25.00US for UPS International.

As a note, I usually NEVER purchase items where the International shipping comes via a courier (UPS or FEDEX) as the added brokerage fees (around $40) kill us Canadians. However, after a lengthy chat with a sales rep at BikeBandit, he assured me that ALL taxes, duty and brokerage fees were calculated into the $25.00 UPS fee. UPS did call and ask who was going to be responsible for the brokerage and I promptly stated "the shipper". Package came today with no 'extra' bill. :thumbup:

I've scanned the instructions (pdf) from Two Brothers and uploaded them here for download:

http://www.covermyphoto.com/Two Brothers Muffler Repacking Instructions.pdf

I will be tackling the repacking of my cans in the next few weeks so stay tuned for a full write up and pictures! :thumbup:

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
So I have always wondered why do exhaust systems need to be repacked. I know my scorpions don't need to be, but why do others, and how do you know it needs to be done. Does the sound change?

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Basically the heat and gasses breaks down the packing material over time and in cases of Carbon fiber exhausts, that heat can then start to ruin the carbon fiber itself since the packing material is no longer protecting it.

I would think that any muffler should be repacked occasionally, especially carbon fiber ones, regardless of who makes them.

If in doubt, ask the manufacturer.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
So I have always wondered why do exhaust systems need to be repacked. I know my scorpions don't need to be, but why do others, and how do you know it needs to be done. Does the sound change?

The oils and carbon in the exhaust will cause the fiberglass batting to stick together.... if it's not 'fluffy' it won't absorb as much sound. The sharper the blast hitting the stuffing, the more it gets torn up, and broken down. The more it wiggles back and forth, the more strands of the material break off and get blown out the back.

The volume will go up, very gradually until it suddenly gets a lot louder.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
im kinda p!ssed... my cans are LESS THAN A YEAR old, and the cans (carbon fiber) are ALREADY turning yellow... i have 2k miles on them, nothing crazy, normal riding... i called 2bros and they said, oh well.. send them in and we can look at them....

sure thing... ill get right on that, so my cans can sit at your shop for a month... grrr.. i think they even wanted $$$ to look at them!! its like.. $900 cans shouldn't do that, they should be bending over trying to figure out whtas wrong, not charging me to look at their mistakes.. grrr </rant>

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
im kinda p!ssed... my cans are LESS THAN A YEAR old, and the cans (carbon fiber) are ALREADY turning yellow... i have 2k miles on them, nothing crazy, normal riding... i called 2bros and they said, oh well.. send them in and we can look at them....

sure thing... ill get right on that, so my cans can sit at your shop for a month... grrr.. i think they even wanted $$$ to look at them!! its like.. $900 cans shouldn't do that, they should be bending over trying to figure out whtas wrong, not charging me to look at their mistakes.. grrr </rant>

Heat does turn the CF yellow. Soooo without sending in your cans is it fair to bitch about their product? How do you know your cans "would sit at their shop for a month" when you haven't sent them in??

I did talk to 2Bros shortly after I bought them and the rep told me I-4's run much cooler and shouldn't have to repack them until closer to 10k. Of course your experience may vary.

I agree they are costly cans and I do have the CF with over 6k miles on them.Yes they have changed color some but are still good looking cans. I did rotate them around 5 k miles as the right side does most of the work and I may repack them but for about $25 a can I may just send them to 2Bros and have them do it. I'll decide that after reading Bonemans repack post.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Heat does turn the CF yellow. Soooo without sending in your cans is it fair to bitch about their product? How do you know your cans "would sit at their shop for a month" when you haven't sent them in??

I did talk to 2Bros shortly after I bought them and the rep told me I-4's run much cooler and shouldn't have to repack them until closer to 10k. Of course your experience may vary.

I agree they are costly cans and I do have the CF with over 6k miles on them.Yes they have changed color some but are still good looking cans. I did rotate them around 5 k miles as the right side does most of the work and I may repack them but for about $25 a can I may just send them to 2Bros and have them do it. I'll decide that after reading Bonemans repack post.

im going off of what the rep told me about the turn around time. and i think i have every right, after 2k miles they already look horible? c'mon now. thats crap. spend taht much $$ on cans and i get "send em in, we'll take a look". in a tone that seemed like i did something wrong... and i gotta pay for shipping back? maybe its me, but i thought customer service and product quality should be a little better than that.

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
im going off of what the rep told me about the turn around time. and i think i have every right, after 2k miles they already look horible? c'mon now. thats crap. spend taht much $$ on cans and i get "send em in, we'll take a look". in a tone that seemed like i did something wrong... and i gotta pay for shipping back? maybe its me, but i thought customer service and product quality should be a little better than that.

I totaly agree with you there, if i had paid that much for exhausts i would expect them to last forever and would feel that the least the company could do is put in the effort to make you a happy customer! Sad customers = Less customers in my oppinion

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com

Yeah, something doesn't sound right there as they should in no way be turning yellow after less than a year! Wouldn't they still be under manufacturers warranty?

I would get an RMA# from TB and send them back and ask for a replacement set as that is unacceptable for them do be breaking down that quickly! You are 100% correct in that you've paid a heck of a lot of money and you should get a quality product in return! I'd stress that fact (if you haven't already) with TB and see if they can at least look at them for free and give you their evaluation. Hold them accountable. Maybe there was an issue with the CF resin or something.

Tim77

FZ6 in Connecticut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dave, how many miles have you put on the bike since putting the exhaust on? I have about 6,000 miles on the TB cans now and have already purchased the repack kits. I imagine that the sound would change as the packing wears out and I haven't noticed any change in sound. Depending on your response, I think I may wait till summer (another 2000 miles or so) before I bother to pull the cans off.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Titanium TB mufflers, and have put 24000km's on them, they are starting to sound very rough, and are definitely in need of a re-pack...

Have swapped the cans over about 3 times now, but it seems they are both in need of a re-pack....and will be ordering the TB re-pack kit very soon, to do my cans as well...

will be keeping an eye on this thread, to see just how this all goes.

:thumbup:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Dave, how many miles have you put on the bike since putting the exhaust on? I have about 6,000 miles on the TB cans now and have already purchased the repack kits. I imagine that the sound would change as the packing wears out and I haven't noticed any change in sound. Depending on your response, I think I may wait till summer (another 2000 miles or so) before I bother to pull the cans off.

Hey Tim,

I'm not 100% sure. I've had them on for just over 2 years now and I think around (7,000+kms) on them.

I think the sound would start to change (get louder) as the paking breaks down. I'm actually hoping that repacking them will quiet them down a bit. I've heard that TB packes em kinda loose.

I'll post pics of my findings on the condition of the current packing.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Calling Mr. Boneman.... did you repack the cans yet?

No sorry, not yet. Was busy finishing up my final MSF Instructor observation and doing my SS brake lines last weekend.

Might be a few more weeks before I get to them as I have my MSF teaching parcticum (yikes) in 2 weeks!

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
Started by taking the Leos apart. Rivets came out nicely. Then....the silicon. They glued the tips on with silicone. They don't budge!

Now, I am screwed...