WHEN to buy tires??

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Two questions-

Ive decided to get a set of Pilot Road 2's for my 08 (have 10k mi on the factory ones now).

First- do tire prices vary with time of year? Both Cycle Sector and Competition Accessories have pairs for about $260-270 shipped. Is this a good price? Id think if anything prices will go up as the spring riding season nears.......

Second- if I order now, what's the best way to store tires until I can get them put on the bike?

Thanks

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
Tires go on sale all year long. Just watch for the sales. You will find some coming up soon for riding season is upon us. As far as saving them, as long as you are not planning to hold onto them for 4+ weeks before getting them on the bike, it doesn't really matter. But if you want to make sure it is as fresh as possible, just some black plastic bags for leaves work well. Just make sure to store them somewhere that has a constant temperature. Not only do miles and overall age wear down tires, heat cycles do also.

I hope this helps.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
question, and I am not trying to be smart aleck. Isn't summer weather a heat cycle every day? temperatures range from 50 to 90+

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Many people forget that tires have a shelf life. Just like food, freshness counts! Most tires have a date stamp, meaning that it's dated when they are manufactured. My Pilot Power 2CT's has 2009 stamped on the side. Which means that they were manufactured on the 20th week of the year 2009. So I knew at the time I bought my tires, that they were only one month old.

You have to be careful whenever there are big sales, as businesses might be offering great prices so that they can get rid of their not so freshest tires. Not saying that all stores practice this, but you should always ask yourself the question, how fresh are these tires?

This should also apply to the tires that is currently on your bike. After several years, the tires will start losing it's grip. Even though you may have a good amount of tread left, you have lost a good percentage of the amount of grip that these tires would be able to provide. Since you are on two wheels, this is very important.

Chillin

Reaction score
Visit site
I've read several threads along this line but figured I would ask about my specific situation...I'm gearing up to do some track days this year. I have a 2007 that I just bought last year, only 3000 miles on the stock tires(but obviously a few years old now) should I be changing these out before pushing my luck on the track?

Thanks

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
Brad,

Another idea to try is to just google search what you want and what you want to pay. i.e.

Milchelin Pilot Road $200

This is how I found my $200 Pilot Power set of tires.:thumbup: