For those of you with the Buell headlight/windscreen setup...

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
I searched around and haven't been able to find the answer to this question. How do you guys mount the speedo? Do you just hack up the fairing stay?

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Are these close enough to the Buell headlights that they wouldn't look stupid under the Buell windscreen?

Because I'm thinking about buying this and this and just getting the Buell windscreen to go with it since I don't like the Aztec 8 windscreen for those headlights.

My only concerns are the headlights sticking out too far from the forks using those brackets, and those headlights just being a different size than the Buell headlights and not looking right.

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
All of my parts came in today, and I'm super excited. I did end up going with the Buell headlights/windscreen/bracket.

I do have one quick question, though, and it may be a stupid one. I've searched around and wasn't able to find out whether I can use my stock bar ends with these bar end mirrors. I know CCHOUSEKY got new barends to go with his CRGs. Do I need new bar ends, or can I just use the stock ones?

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, glad to hear you got your pieces in! Trust me, once you get the fairing off and get the first look at it (even without the headlight), you'll love it!

Yeah, I got some aftermarket bar ends from http://www.e-securedsite.com/RHINOM...rFor=&collection=4|Barend Sliders and Mirrors that are specially made to accept the CRG mirrors. I was going to have my stock bar ends milled down to the 7/8" diameter needed, but I was having problems finding someone to do it, so I just went ahead and went with the Rhino ones.

I'll get back to Rhino in a second, but as far as those bar end mirrors you posted go, you won't be able to use bar ends with them. That's because they have that silver collar that slides into the end of the bars and it'll have an allen bolt you turn to expand the collar. It'll press against the inside of the bar and keep the mirrors in place, but you'll lose the ability to use bar ends.

IMO, you should get mirrors that will clamp to your bar ends. You'd have to get different bar ends from the stock ones, though, because they're tapered and the mirrors will need flat ones. I know from experience that aftermarket mirrors aren't cheap, but as you always hear, you get what you pay for. I've seen quite a few posts where people have used the CRG look-a-likes you see on Ebay with good results. The upside is that I believe the knockoffs can accept CRG replacement glass, so if you break the glass out of one of the mirrors, you aren't up a creek.

One thing I would mention if you're thinking about going with the Rhino bar ends...I was really hesitant to spend $70 on bar ends, but I happened across the "Blem/Clearance" section of their site on the left hand side. I inquired if they had any blem models to fit FZ1 bars (same threaded ends as stock FZ6 bars, so they screw in) and as luck would have it, they did. Mine ended up being 50-something dollars with shipping, so I saved about $20. And they were really helpful after I asked for pictures of the blem models. They took the time to send me really high res pictures of the actual ones I would be getting and, let me tell you, you can't even see the blemishes, even when they're right there in my hands. I can't recommend them enough!

Feel free to let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a lot CCHOUSEKY. That explains a lot.

It looks like I can take the mirrors off of the expanding internal handlebar mount and mount them directly on the bar ends, but if the stock bar ends are tapered, then it wouldn't work (like you said).

If I can just take the mirrors off of the internal mounting thing, then I should be able to just get regular straight bar ends, if I decide to get new ones, and not have to worry about getting bar ends that are made specifically to accept the CRGs. I could just mount them directly onto new bar ends.

I think what I'll do is just try the mirrors without bar ends, and see what that's like. I did drop the bike on the left side, and the bar end is scratched, anyway. If the mirrors vibrate too much, then I can look into getting some different bar ends.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, if you can remove the mirror clamps from the collar piece, then you could just clamp them to other bar ends. The only thing to remember is the bar ends you clamp them to will have to be 7/8" diameter (and the "channel" the clamp sits in needs to be at least 3/8" wide).

When I was debating between the Rizoma mirrors and the CRG's, I bought this set of bar ends off Ebay to clamp the Rizomas to.

YZF Bar Ends Yamaha 600R FZR XJ600 FZ6 FZ1 NEW : eBay Motors (item 370349395725 end time Mar-20-10 19:10:39 PDT)

Now, those are the same diameter as the largest part of the stock bar ends, thus the CRG's wouldn't work with them. That's why I either had to have the stockers milled down to 7/8" or get the Rhino ones for the CRG's. The Rizomas have a bigger clamp, so they'll work with regular, straight bar ends.

And these are the Rizomas I almost went with:

PJs Parts