How To: Change your front sprocket

B Rizzle

Reaction score
Visit site
[Edit] I searched and couldnt find a definite how to on this... If this is a dupe or already covered let me know!

[Edit2] This install was done on a 2008 FZ. I believe 06 and older bikes may need different size sockets, but the process is essentially the same.

This is my first write up so if I left anything out, I'm sure someone can fill in any gaps.

Pick your sprocket. I went down 1 tooth in the front.

IMGP2338.jpg

Start by pulling of the front sprocket cover using your 5mm allen wrench. There are 3 bolts.

IMGP2339.jpg

With the cover off (note that I left the shift linkage in place. You can leave it or remove it, it's up to you.) you can now see the sprocket and the 30mm sprocket nut.

IMGP2340.jpg

This is just a closeup that shows how the sides of the nut are pinched in to help prevent unwanted movement. This makes it difficult to turn by hand.

IMGP2341.jpg

I picked up this cheapo impact wrench from wally world and it's been awesome. In fact its this thing's 4th front sprocket change! Downside is that it came standard with a cigarrete plug but no biggie really.

IMGP2342.jpg

Put the bike in gear or use the 2x4 through the wheel method if you prefer and use your impact gun (or man power) to remove the nut.

With the nut gone, loosen up things out back so you have enough slack in the chain to remove the front sprocket.

IMGP2345.jpg

I just went ahead and loosened the chain adjusters completely. After that, remove the front sprocket and lay it aside. Notice how ugly it is and also that it smells kind of funny.

IMGP2346.jpg

You'll notice that the stocker is surrounded by rubber. This keeps things quiet and you don't need to be alarmed because your new cog doesn't have this.

Yay shiny new sprocket. Get ready to put that (clean) bad boy on there!

IMGP2347.jpg

Put 'er on and get the chain in place. Dont forget to put the spacer back on before the nut.

IMGP2350.jpg

Once everything is back on, I hand tightened the sprocket nut to make less work with the impact gun. (Had to open the garage to get the cord to the car and it's cold.)

IMGP2351.jpg

After that move to the back and get everything aligned and adjusted and then go out and ride! Very simple to do, though it might help having a buddy around if you're not comfortable wrenching on your own.

Last edited:

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Really nice write up man.

That impact wrench looks really cool. I might have to think about getting one.

One thing good about your pictures is that your bike seems nice and clean.

I'm pretty sure someone else's written this thing up but I'm not sure they had the pictures you do -- so thanks.

Dennis

RedFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice write up, but IIRC my 06 front sprocket nut was 32mm and have different locking washer, now you'll need to install the speedo healer :thumbup:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice work on the How-To! Thanks for taking the time and effort to pictorial the job.

REP given to the new guy!!

B Rizzle

Reaction score
Visit site
I added model year info to the original post. If anyone knows socket nut sizes for the previous gen bikes I can add that as well.

Also the impact wrench that I got was right around $35. It's been real nice to have considering I have a little whimpy air compressor.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I checked the front sprocket's condition today.
My bike is 2005 model with 25000km and original chain and sprockets on.
So some sprocket nut issue may occur.

i took some pictures.
What do you all think?
Is it ok or loose?

i527500_2.jpg

i527501_fazer.jpg

i'm planning to da a Vortex 15t front sprocket mod this spring. I'll use the existing nut washer, i hope it won't be a problem.

Last edited:

B Rizzle

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, it lookks easy. Are you going to do the rear as well? What advantage was there in choosing the different sproket size?

Doc

It is very easy and doesn't take too long at all really. I didn't make the switch due to wear issues, but rather because changing the final drive ratio allows you to tweak how the bike behaves at a given rpm range. It makes the power more "usable." Going down one tooth in front is said to be equal to going up 2 to 3 teeth in the back.

Changing the front is quick and easy and it's also cheaper than a rear sprocket. You also don't have to change your chain size.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just finished installing mine and took it for a slow test ride (just rained) to make sure everything was okay. I noticed when I applied the rear brake firmly it sounded like I had some "chain slap". Does that mean I have my chain too tight? Also, the plastic/rubber chain guide is really close to the chain now. I assume due to the smaller front sprocket, is that normal?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles on your front sprocket?

Here's my stock front sprocket at 29,037. I had it replaced, along with my chain, rear sprocket & both tires.

REDHAWK22

aka willie
Reaction score
Visit site
just got the JT 15T in the mail today..I have to run to Home Depot & buy a 30mm Socket. Do you have to unpinched those things with a screw driver, those with a blue/green marks?
I wonder how hard those things would come off without an Impact Driver? 'goodluck to me.............
I'll get back when I'm done and the road test....

REDHAWK22

aka willie
Reaction score
Visit site
Done it just a minute ago...will test ride tomorrow, or what the heck maybe tonight...I'm confused about the right slack our chain should have. Is it on Ctr. Stand? Side Stand? While on the bike? Off the bike? What is it really? How much slack is it?

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Done it just a minute ago...will test ride tomorrow, or what the heck maybe tonight...I'm confused about the right slack our chain should have. Is it on Ctr. Stand? Side Stand? While on the bike? Off the bike? What is it really? How much slack is it?
I think its about an inch and a half while on the side stand. At least thats how mine was adjusted and it runs great.

How much of a difference does the sprocket make to you?

REDHAWK22

aka willie
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally got to test ride my 15 T Ctr. Sprocket changed. It feels so much better on the twisties, I was just playing between 3rd & 4th gear mostly, my rpms seem to stay up there between 4-7K. Before, I had to shift so much, sometimes even to 2nd gear & it was hard to keep the RPMS up. It performed really well, at least for me.
CONS: The gas consumption was terrible...before with 4 lines on the gas gauge, same route, I would still have at least a line left. Today, it just seemed like it consumed so much gas. I was running on fumes going back home. I will do a better reading next time. Last time I checked with original gearing, I was at 44-46MPG....
What's your consumption with the 15t changed?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A couple of thoughts that might help some others.
A sharp chisel aimed into the nut will open the lock with a tap of a hammer. The shaft is hardened, the nut is soft. Don't worry about damaging the shaft.

Also - if you don't have an impact wrench, leave the bike on the side stand and apply the rear brake while loosening (or tightening the nut).

Lastly the factory applied loctite to the threads. Its the white haze in the pictures above. Prolly a good idea to apply loctite to any model year.

Pplater

Reaction score
Visit site
Just uploading the factory service manual screenshot.

The front sprocket nut's torque specification is 90NM or 65 ft/lb. Was looking for this info

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-24-20-26-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-03-24-20-26-29.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited: