On The Nervousness of New Bikers

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi! Just got your first bike? Feeling nervous about taking it out? Well don't be! Because you're a Biker now!

I've been riding 7 months, roughly. Passed my DAS in June and bought a Yamaha FZ6 soon afterwards. It's a big bike. Big, fast and scary. Sure, there are 1000cc sportsbike owners who will sneer and say 'That's not fast!' But it is. And on a good day through the twisties they might just eat their words.

But I'm not here to brag - I'm here to talk about the nervousness that every single newbie feels when first getting on their new bike and heading out, and how, hopefully, to overcome it. No miracle cures, just what works for me.

Because I still get nervous. And there's a lot to be nervous about - motorcycles are potentially dangerous. Some of this is car driver propaganda that probably comes from envy at having being filtered past once too often while they sit impotently in traffic jams. But the stats are real - you are somewhere between 20 and 38 times more likely to be involved in an accident on a motorcycle than in a car, depending on who you believe. (Spare a thought for the cyclists - it's even worse for them, with 3000 killed a year on the roads.)

A little about me. I am not, in any conventional sense of the word, a wuss. I am a former Outward Bound instructor from Zimbabwe - if you don't know them, think of them as the Special Forces of the Duke of Edinburgh world. 40 mile marches over the mountains, a week without food, night rescues off cliff faces, assault course after assault course... ah yes, happy days. It's a job where you are confronted daily with potentially life-threatening situations: on the rock face, canoeing down rapids, finding a herd of elephants outside your tent, etc. It's a job that teaches people how to find their limits and then discover that they can go over them.

So with all this macho background, how come I still get nervous about riding my bike? Answer: thinking too much. You end up dislocated from the time and activity that you are in, your head bursting with 'what if' scenarios. 'What if' I come off on that next bend? 'What if' my tyres don't grip? 'What if' I can't handle this machine? And finally, sometimes, 'OMG WTF am I doing?'

Good news. The bike is your friend. It is more stable and confident than you are, so relax and let it help you. Trust your tyres. It's better to lean it over a little more than you may feel comfortable with than it is to potentially clip that kerb because you're scared to turn, or worse, let it carry you across the centre line into the path of that oncoming van. Lean it over, look where you want to go (I know that kerb is absolutely fascinating, but stop looking at it right now!) use the gas not the brakes, and she'll be right.

I drove a truck in the UK back in the days when a regular car licence allowed you to drive up to 7.5 tons. The first time I sat in the cab and started the engine, I though, 'Wow, this diesel is a bit vibey.' Then I realised it was me that was trembling like a leaf, not the truck. I spent my first days in a state of sheer terror. Bit by bit I came to relax, through habit, and in the end I was cutting through the traffic in this enormous glorified deep freeze on wheels, like a pro.

If you have the full British A licence after doing a DAS, Congratulations! You have just had some of the finest training available anywhere in the world. Now use it. Trust your training - they wouldn't have let you out the building if you couldn't do it. Stop worrying about this and that. Forget whether you are going fast enough - if that car behind you keeps tailgating, keep an eye out for a place to pull in and let him rush off to his next coronary. I cannot stress the importance of this enough: never let yourself get bullied by other road users into riding faster than you feel comfortable with. It's hard not to, but just let them go.

Then one day there will come a time when you are motoring along down some sunlight country lane, everything's ticketty boo, and suddenly you'll think - 'Hold on, this ain't right. I haven't been worrying about anything for ages.' And if that thought occurs, let it pass and just enjoy the ride. Because from now on, welcome to the club, son! You're a Biker! And you're only just starting to appreciate how much fun this can be, and how all that training was worth it.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Given your background, sounds like you understand how to handle yourself in dangerous situations. I bet you have one significant skill that many would love to have -- and that's the ability to keep your head, keep your bearing, stay calm and deal with situations.

I bet if you take some time and study motorcycling and learn about the science and what the bike can do and what you can do (and not do) to help the bike do what it wants to or needs to do, motorcycling will be just another one of those dangerous activities you already do.

We all get nervous because it's new (that's also what makes it so bloody exciting!). Once we understand, the fear (if that's actually what you have -- I doubt it), apprehension, etc. just disappears and is replaced by keen understanding and problem solving challenges.

Enjoy the ride and enjoy getting better and getting good at it. Enjoy the nervousness (excitement) while it lasts; I think it's like an adrenaline rush :rockon:. But in all, stay safe.

Dennis

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I love it. I love the challenge of it, the practising of the skills I've learned, and the whole learning curve. I'm so sad I make notes after a ride where I've maybe made a bad decision that could have led to a problem, so I can avoid making the same mistake again. :D

But it's quite true - nervousness and excitement are two sides of the same coin; you can't have one without the other.

When I started I was 90% nerves, 10% sheer exhilaration. Nowadays it's more 50/50. In a few years maybe it'll be 10% nerves - there's always going to be some. But it's all about overcoming that initial nervousness that feels totally overwhelming in order to appreciate the excitement fully.

Last edited:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Being "nervous" or "scared" is what keeps you on your toes... my advice: if you ever don't feel at least a little nervous, stay off the bike that day... it's a known fact that most accidents happen in that period when new riders think they're not new anymore and feel comfortable on their ride (1-2 years after starting)....

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
re: 50/50 nerves:

I remember my first year of riding -- I avoided stopping on hills because of risk of embarrassed due to stalling; now if I stall, it's so funny because now it's somewhat novel.

It's funny, I know my head increases temperature when I get nervous because when I get embarrassed, my helmet shield fogs immediately.

7 months of riding is short and you'll get better -- promise (just ride).

How many miles? I did about 14K miles my first year over 3 cruiser bikes. Second year was way better, third even better (with sport bikes). We'll see how this year goes. I started Aug 2007 myself. I still have much to learn.

Even now, when I'm in unknown territory, I'm not really nervous but at high alert (perhaps that's another kind of nervousness).

Dennis

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
i dont agree with the idea of nervousness and motorcycles. Cautious is may be better term, nervous is not. Think of nervousness. You're twitchy, anxious, exciteable, aggravated, cloudy. Not good when you're trying to make split second decisions. Confidence on a bike is not a bad thing, it may help you get out of a hairy situation. The best notion i give myself about riding is not to exceed my comfort zone and ride beyond my limits. Stick to them. Only you know what those are. Get some confidence on your bike and abilities and dont break them, you'll have more fun and be safer.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I'm with you -- too much "nerves" could just mean you're going a little too far with your current skills. I think Keith Code's book says something like stay below 70% of your skill level to give yourself that room that allows you to think.

But on the other hand, over confidence can cause issues too -- I know from my own experience and other folks tales of misfortune.

Dennis

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fear is good - it keeps you on your toes. Nervousness is not.

If you ride beyond your ability, you will crash.

If you are too nervous when you ride, or it doesn't feel natural on a bike and you seem to be fighting the bike the entire time - give up and take a car instead!

:BLAA:

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
And then there are some days, like today, when the bike feels like an extension of yourself and goes exactly where you want it every time.

I stuck a tankful of premium in and had a really nice blast around a small corner of East Anglia this afternoon. Some quality overtakes as well.

Got followed by the police for 10 minutes but gave them no reason to pull me, and lost them out on the lanes. Presumably the DVLA have finally managed to register the bike as being insured - it's only taken them 6 months.

TXFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Let me say this thread would have been handy yesterday. (Hello to everyone btw, this is my first post)

I am 27, a first time biker, and my (formerly) cherry 06 FZ with only 1400 miles is obviously my first bike. I took a safety course before I even had a license and was determined to be as prepared as possible. But honestly, I was pretty damn nervous when I went to pick it up a yesterday. I just knew I was going to end up laying it over or something equally stupid. However, I pulled away from the dealership and got off on a back road to go home and things were going smoothly.

However that being said, I was still so nervous and worried about something that hadn't happened, that at a stop sign I forgot simple things that I was taught in the course... Watch for gravel, keep your head up, and ease the throttle... by now Im sure you've guessed what happened. Sure enough, too much throttle, and forgetting to do something as simple as squeeze the clutch to kill power to the rear wheel had me and the bike on the pavement.

I was fine and the bike has a few minor scratches, and really the only thing hurt was my pride. So, I did the only thing I could do; I laughed, got up, and with help from a pedestrian got the bike up and rode away, oddly enough, feeling alot better despite dumping my bike on its madien voyage.

Why do I admit to this? Well if I hadnt been so concerned about laying it over for the first time and just relaxed it probably wouldnt have happened. I am by no means saying that I should have been "careless" out there, but I was so destracted by my worries that as I said, I forgot what I had been taught.

So as one uber newbie to others, I agree: Take it easy, relax, and remember what you've been taught, and you'll be fine.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
As a new rider I know what nervous feels like. After having logged only 600 miles on the FZ my confidence has come up a bunch over the past 3 months. I eased into this the best way I knew possible - msf course, rode extensively with an experienced rider during my permit.. took it very easy once i got our there on my own.

The first couple of times out I was kinda freaked out to be near cars.. a bad way to feel since you have to learn to ride with traffic. But that feeling faded and eventually began to feel comfortable in traffic albeit, still taking it easy.

I found something weird is that after I was done riding for the day, I would get home and micro analyze every move. And that is what made me feel the most anxious. But I wanted to learn from my experiences and reviewing the ride in my mind always popped up things I knew to do differently the next time out.

I am looking forward to warmer weather where I hope to ride with other bikers so can continue to learn from experience.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, Kudos for keeping your head and getting it back up and getting on your way :thumbup:!

Thanks for posting. We're all human and make mistakes and only a few are able to admit it in public. Keep practicing regularly and you will get there; nervousness will disappear soon enough. Once you really feel good about things, watch out for overconfidence.

Cheers,

Dennis

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
i would also agree with overconfidence as i fell into that trap! i have been riding 3 years, 2 on the Fazer. Being young and nieave got me in trouble! I was not nervous at all when i first rode it (fully powered, Illigaly :spank:) i soon got it restricted and i got way to confident and i threw it down the road, i thoguht i had learnt my lesson, 1 year latter (no restriction kit) i did same thing pretty much a whole year after the first one! Bad weather caught me out when i thoguht i was the best in any weather. So now i have learnt alot on the Fazer, and now i am a level headed rider at a young age, glad i can still sit here and tell the tale tho :)

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the difference between being nervous and cautious. I always thought that I felt nevousness when coming back to riding after a layoff especially when I was on an unfamiliar bike. I thought the same thing a couple of weeks ago after a 1+ year break from riding and coming back to a sport bike from a cruiser (my first and only cruiser). After climbing aboard the FZ6 with apprehension I realized that it was just a feeling of cautiousness while I got used to the FZ6. Within a 60 mile ride it all came back to me about riding a sportsbike, the clutch and throttle, the riding position, and the judicious use of the power band. I'm still riding well within my skill level while a explore the FZ6's characteristics.:thumbup:

txlyman

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my motorcycle permit and also sealed the deal on an '09 leftover earlier this morning! I should have it mid next week and I'm more than excited to get on it and begin my first ride. However, I believe that will consist of an empty parking lot and putting around to get the feel for it before riding around on streets. (never ridden before)

I'll repost tomorrow with how I do/feel and instant reactions when i borrow one of my dad's older bikes. Hopefully I'll have some good input to this thread.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my motorcycle permit and also sealed the deal on an '09 leftover earlier this morning! I should have it mid next week and I'm more than excited to get on it and begin my first ride. However, I believe that will consist of an empty parking lot and putting around to get the feel for it before riding around on streets. (never ridden before)

I'll repost tomorrow with how I do/feel and instant reactions when i borrow one of my dad's older bikes. Hopefully I'll have some good input to this thread.

:welcome: to the forum. My advice is before riding the fz6, take a msf course first!!!!!!!!!!! While your waiting read through this http://www.600riders.com/forum/new-riders-q/983-potential-riders-must-read.html

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Man I'm glad I started small on my lil ninja...I was so afraid of motorcycles before I got my bike...Now with only 1200 miles under my belt, I fill like I belong...I ride like an old man, but the lane belongs to me...I try to keep a safe distance from all danger, and keep control of every thing around me...

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT!!!! Only motorcycle MISTAKES!!!!! It's up to you not to be hit by a driver that does not see you!!!
Ride like you are at war(sorry if I offend)...

YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just rode home my FZ not too long ago, and I was a bit nervous at first (I'm pretty new). The guys at the MSF course here had a phrase, "Look down, go down", meaning to keep your eyes up & thinking about were you should be going. I figured after a bit that I shouldn't be nervous (but should still be vigilant), and I'd let the bike do the work. It rode great! Love that thing! I felt guilty not riding it to work, today, but then it's take-your-dog-to-work day. Had to bring the pup out...but later...

Thanks Jez! Great Post!

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Guaranteed method of getting rid of nervousness:

-Performance riding instruction at a track, then practice at trackdays

Riding on the street you will be vastly more comfortable. Many tracks have slow street groups in which you can just ride your own pace and not be rushed. Here you can actually start experimenting a little bit and FINALLY learning how to ride free of the constraints of traffic/debris/etc

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Good info. I wouldn't say "nervous" is a good state to be in when riding though. Semi-paranoid, thinking that every car is planning on running you off the road, that kind of mentality I think will help. Keep as calm as possible and look for your "outs" to any situation. I only remember being really "nervous" for the week I was riding with my dad before I got my license.

And the machine is definitely capable of way more than any of us are. I firmly believe that 99% of people couldn't get the best out of a 250 (even those who claim that they can dose a CBR/ZX10/R1 on a Ninja 250 through the corners).

As a side note, a lot of new riders are scared of the interstates/highways, but those are some of the safest roads for a bike. Just go with the flow of traffic and all will be well. I also recommend riding with a buddy or relative that has been riding for a long time for the first month or so, if possible, just to really get your feet wet. And having a somebody able to watch you and give you some advice always helps.