Ding King Dent Remover

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
I just repaired a dent in my tank using the "Ding King" dent repair kit. I got it at Advanced Auto for just under $20. It uses a special hot glue that sticks a threaded post to the dented surface and a bridge with a screw-down knob that pulls the post and dent out. The instructions say that you may have to repeat the process up to 10 times, and I did it about 7 times before I was satisfied, but the tank looks great again. No damage to the paint. I'm very happy with the results. :thumbup:

Here's some before and after shots:

Before:
View attachment 2070

After Repair (Note: I removed the sticker on the frame too):
View attachment 2071

R

Raid The Revenge

The faster you remove a dent, the better it will look. Metal has a 'memory' and will becomed "locked" into place if you don't treat it after a while.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think it will remove it from all surfaces especially on the front side of the tank where my tank has a dent/ding.

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
Incredible! How do you get the post off the surface?

It comes with a small bottle of solvent to get the glue off the surface or off the post. When it "pops", the glue will stick to either the post's foot, or to the paint (it happened both ways for me). How hard it is to get off depends on how clean the surface was. If it doesn't peel right off, use the solvent on a rag and push at it around the edges and it comes off fairly easily.

cool, i wish my ding was a bit bigger so i could do that.

I think it will work on very small dents too. I took a very small dent out of my car the same day and it worked great.

If the dent is on the front of your tank, you'll probably have to lift the tank up to work on it because the bridge has to fit over it. Other than that, I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't work on a dent anywhere on the tank.

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
There is a danger of pulling the dent out too far, so that it leaves a slight buldge. The kit comes with a couple of plastic "knock down tools" in case that happens. One is a fat pencil shaped hammer (for lack of a better term) and the other is a flat spatula shaped piece. When I was finished I had a small buldge so I laid the spatula piece over the buldge and tapped the spatula with the hammer piece (lightly and then harder) until it was even again.

Dents in areas with formed lines in the metal are harder, but there was a line running through my dent, and I just worked the dent on both sides of the line. Just have patience and take your time with it.

Good luck.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a danger of pulling the dent out too far, so that it leaves a slight buldge. The kit comes with a couple of plastic "knock down tools" in case that happens. One is a fat pencil shaped hammer (for lack of a better term) and the other is a flat spatula shaped piece. When I was finished I had a small buldge so I laid the spatula piece over the buldge and tapped the spatula with the hammer piece (lightly and then harder) until it was even again.

Dents in areas with formed lines in the metal are harder, but there was a line running through my dent, and I just worked the dent on both sides of the line. Just have patience and take your time with it.

Good luck.

I have always been curious about that product, i have a few dings in my car that i would like to take care of, maybe I'll go pick this up and see how it goes.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There was a Post a while ago about using ice and a hairdryer to remove dents. Can anyone remember who posted it please?
Or do any of you know the technique.

I was thinking of using Ethyl chloride to freeze the dent and then pop it up with the dryer. Unless anyone knows where to get nitrogen from? or CO2 (without borrowing a fire extinguisher).

Your thought and advice would me most welcome.

Nelly

swerve9031

Reaction score
Visit site
Nelly, I am not sure what's in them but you can get a device for freezing water pipes so you can work on them. A can of feezing agent of some description.

This Ding King looks good, another item on my list of things to pick up when i next visit the U.S.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nelly, I am not sure what's in them but you can get a device for freezing water pipes so you can work on them. A can of feezing agent of some description.

This Ding King looks good, another item on my list of things to pick up when i next visit the U.S.
Thanks mate, I never thought about the pipe freezing gear. I still wonder if I have got it right though, with the cold hot method?

Nelly

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
You can use a can of compressed air like you'd use to clean the crumbs out of a keyboard, just hold it upside down and it'll freeze whatever you want, like someone's bare upper arm for instance.

n.e.mich

Reaction score
Visit site
Had a dent in the r/h side of the tank when I bought the bike.

I saw this thread a week or so ago and decided to give the "ding king" kit a try.

WOW, it worked, and it's super easy to use! I'm so glad I read this thread!!!

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
There was a Post a while ago about using ice and a hairdryer to remove dents. Can anyone remember who posted it please?
Or do any of you know the technique.

I know the technique, you use dry ice (frozen co2), you can pick it up at alot of grocery stores. You hold the dry ice on there for awhile, then use a heatsource (I used an actual heat gun for applying pinstripping) I've tried it it didn't do squat. You may have better luck.

Another trick I've read is to empty and remove the tank, plug all vent holes except one, and blow a air compressor in there. High psi might pop the dent out.

And yet another one, is to fill the tank with water and freeze it.

I wouldn't realy recommend any of these methods, but people say they've worked.

Pakow

Reaction score
Visit site
this thing rules!!! ive used it on many different vehicles and dents, and as long as the dent not directly on a body seam or accent line, it almost always gets it out. sometimes it can take several (ive done as many as a dozen) tries, but you cant beat the price!!

venoran

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for resurrecting an old post, but I was looking for some recommendations on how to pull tank dents! Nice post, thanks for the recommendation. I am gonna try this when I get home from my business trip at the end of June!

I have a nasty bit of road rash and a pretty deep dent in my tank from a fall...until now I just put some rust preventer and sealer on it to keep it from rusting my tank out. I really want to pull the dent and repaint though, hopefully this will do the trick!

Last edited: