any road racers out there?

Mouth76

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,
I've had my 04'Fz for 3years now. And i love riding so much that I'm contemplating going road racing. I know that i can start out doing some track days, and my thought is that if i really love it i can start doing some circuits. I used to road race go-karts (100MPH+) back when i was 15yrs younger and my need for speed has never dissipated.

1. Has anyone ever taken their Fz to a road track? How comfortable/nimble is it in tight twisties when your cranked all the way over?

2. Are there any good forum's out there for road racers?

3. I'm thinking if i get the racing bug again i may upgrade to a real racing bike, the R6 strikes my eye. Any suggestions for great racing bikes

I'm in Metro Detroit, but I know there's some road tracks near Grand Rapids (grattan) and Mid-Ohio.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of ppl take their FZ6s to the track... most of these ppl upgrade the suspension (R6 forks or racetech springs, with an Ohlin shock) and some swapped the handlebars for some clips ons...

My recommendations: do a track day or 2 with your FZ as it is now and see how it all feels for yourself... then make adjustments or buy a track bike (R6, Gixxer 6, Kawi 6, or their liter big brothers are all awesome track bikes... you really can't go wrong with any of these).

Check the racing sub-forum and browse the threads there...

Good luck.

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
If you think you're really going to want to do it, and yes it is a ton of fun. Don't bother upgrading your FZ, keep it for the road and buy an R6 or similar for the track. You can pick up a few year old R6 for less than 6k, and there are a lot of used track bikes out there for less than 5k. Keep an eye out on the WERA forums.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
If you think you're really going to want to do it, and yes it is a ton of fun. Don't bother upgrading your FZ, keep it for the road and buy an R6 or similar for the track. You can pick up a few year old R6 for less than 6k, and there are a lot of used track bikes out there for less than 5k. Keep an eye out on the WERA forums.

+1

also check out sportbiketracktime.com and nesba.com for track day info in your area.

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
Just saw that you're in Michigan not far from me. Grattan track days start in April and it's only 2.5 hours away. Great track too. I was doing 1:36's on my FZ this past fall without any suspension work, so the bike can handle the track.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Good advice above. Yes, the WERA board is very good for info related to racing and Sportbike Track Time - Get on the right track !! 419-822-0350 forum is a great source for track days. We do Grattan, Gingerman and Autobahn which are all pretty close for you.
For a bike, maybe do a track day or two on the FZ. But, you're going to want something different to go racing. My advice is to pick up a Gen 1 SV650 raced prep'd for around $2500. You can run a ton of classes with it and it is the bike of choice for learning the ropes.

Mouth76

Reaction score
Visit site
Great advice all.

I'm leaning toward at least trying the Fz6 on the track. Just to see if i can get that racing feel back in my bones. Maybe later in the summer saving for an R6

I did hear that those Sv650's are quite competitive. I was worried that they would max out too quickly e.g. you would peak out on the bike and get complacenet with the class cause it is too slow. I also want something that i could at least contemplate riding on the road, and a totally race ready bike is pretty stripped down

I'll deffinitely look toward Grattan in April. Been a long time since ive been there

Now i just need a decent suit. I'm guessing that'll run me into the 400$ territory!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
get yourself some racetech springs and heavier fork oil $115 and some bt016 or similar tire $250 or so

You will be amazed......... :thumbup:

Maybe Ill see you at autobahn country club just south of Chicago, Or Putnam in Indiana. :D