Dent in Exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinnyd7

Reaction score
Visit site
I just put a quarter size dent on one of the pipes on my main exhaust (header) unit. Is this a big deal? Do I need to get it fixed?

No cracks that I could see. I red lined it and ran at 90 mph for about 10 minutes but did not have any problems.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just put a quarter size dent on one of the pipes on my main exhaust (header) unit. Is this a big deal? Do I need to get it fixed?

No cracks that I could see. I red lined it and ran at 90 mph for about 10 minutes but did not have any problems.
How did you do the dent? It may weaken the structure and possibly crack at a later date. If it was mine and there is no blowing then I would leave it.

Vinnyd7

Reaction score
Visit site
I dented it coming down off a curb. I was running two up and I guess the extra weight reduced my clearance more than I expected.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
nice....you dented it, ran it hard, then you come ask us if it was a big deal or not??? i think you didn't give a sh*t to begin with, but felt guilty enough to ask everyone else afterwards

So I'll help you lose a little more sleep....you've started the process at destroying your bike...slowly and methodically every day, the power will decline and eventually one day it will die completely....sleep well.

Wow...i've never known someone to be so helpful when another honestly needs help. You go man, great way to approach life and people you dont have a clue about.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Mag, when you're trying to be witty, throw in some smilies. Otherwise it just looks like you're being a douchebag.

As to the exhaust damage, it doesn't sound like a bad dent. I suspect that our exhaust headers are double walled pipe. Many bike exhausts are. So while you have dented the outer pipe, the inner is probably fine and the exhaust flow is unaffected.

Fred

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
Dent Repair

It doesn't sound like a structural or functional problem, but you may be concerned about the appearance of the dent as well. If it is a double-walled pipe, then the out wall my be thin enough to pull the dent out of. I just repaired a dent in my tank using the "Ding King" dent repair kit. I got it at Advanced Auto for just under $20. It uses a special hot glue that sticks a threaded post to the dented surface and a bridge with a screw-down knob that pulls the post and dent out. The instructions say that you may have to repeat the process up to 10 times, and I did it about 7 times before I was satisfied, but the tank looks great again. No damage to the paint. I'm very happy with the results. It might just work on your pipe to. :thumbup:

Here's some before and after shots:
View attachment 2068

View attachment 2069

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Hey just becasue Mag's stated the rather obvious dosen't make him a douchebag!! If anything, he is guilty of being perhaps uncomfotably honest in his reply. Truth hurts sometimes. I haven't seen the rule where it says everyone has to get a pat on the back, regardless of how stupid they are! Being helpful is great...but sometimes some people are beyond help...

Dude even lays claim to his own stupid action in his description of how he dented the exhaust:
I dented it coming down off a curb. I was running two up and I guess the extra weight reduced my clearance more than I expected.
Gee, ya think!?!? WTF are you doing riding off a curb (and two up) anyway??

Sorry but he brought this issue squarely on himself. I'm not calling Vinnyd7 stupid, I'm calling what he did stupid. There is a difference...one that people seem to forget.

BTW, this double standard of "everyone is intitled to their opinion...but when said opinion is expressed and may not agree with some, suddenly your are somehow 'wrong' in your opinon" is really getting old. Welcome to the internet folks. I think Home Depot has a sale on thicker skin and spines this weekend that some of you might want to check out. We are becoming a society of pussies where you are somehow only allowed to say nice things or else you might offend someone!! Oh no. Sorry, but if you do something stupid, then post up about it, myself and others are going to call you on it...not sit here and hold your hand going "there, there, it will be all better".

Last edited:

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't recall the original poster asking for an opinion on his actions. I believe he came here and asked a simple question about an exhaust dent! He then gets talked down too by the forum dickhead. I say if someone askes a question that is over your head, or you can't give a posative yes or no answer to then keep your mouth shut. I'm sure Vinny knows better than anyone else that he F-ed up. He doesn't need it thrown in his face while trying to get some basic info on weather his bike is ok or not.

If I want to fight I will go to a bar on a Friday night and get drunk, but if I want a FZ6 qustion answered then I'll ask it here(and expect not to get a fight).

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Where's the Sheriff when you need him?

sportrider_fz6.gif

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad I was out riding while this was going on...

A small dent, don't worry about it, just ride.

Vinnyd7

Reaction score
Visit site
Gee, Thanks.

Man, who would have thought a simple question would have been such a complication. I guess I was under the impression that mature, knowledgable people responded to these things. (Thank you to those who were actually helpful)
ANYWAY, I checked with a mechanic on the deal and he said if a problem were to arise, it would have been immediate as it would cause one of the pistons to misfire. The pipes, he informed me, were made to be soft in order to absorb impact easily. He also said it is a simple fix...get a dent remover (as one some one previously suggested).
And as for my F-up that everyone is so ready to critisize, I was following my friend and he was kind enough NOT to inform me that he bottomed out too. But, this my first bike and I ride 60 miles every day to work so its bound to get messed up. I love the thing, but DAMN, its just a motorcycle.
I hope some of you idots on this forum are more mature on the road than you are here.

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Man, who would have thought a simple question would have been such a complication. I guess I was under the impression that mature, knowledgable people responded to these things. (Thank you to those who were actually helpful)
ANYWAY, I checked with a mechanic on the deal and he said if a problem were to arise, it would have been immediate as it would cause one of the pistons to misfire. The pipes, he informed me, were made to be soft in order to absorb impact easily. He also said it is a simple fix...get a dent remover (as one some one previously suggested).
And as for my F-up that everyone is so ready to critisize, I was following my friend and he was kind enough NOT to inform me that he bottomed out too. But, this my first bike and I ride 60 miles every day to work so its bound to get messed up. I love the thing, but DAMN, its just a motorcycle.
I hope some of you idots on this forum are more mature on the road than you are here.

Amen!:thumbup:

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
And hey vinny, you made a mistake and learned from it. We are all humans and make mistakes except for the chosen ones on this forum. I wouldnt worry about what you did, If it was that bad it would lose some topend. And I would'nt even call what you did a mistake, It just happened. Don't worry about these haters on here, they are perfect and we will never match them untill the chosen day.:rockon:

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
nice....you dented it, ran it hard, then you come ask us if it was a big deal or not??? i think you didn't give a sh*t to begin with, but felt guilty enough to ask everyone else afterwards

So I'll help you lose a little more sleep....you've started the process at destroying your bike...slowly and methodically every day, the power will decline and eventually one day it will die completely....sleep well.

:Im With Stupid:
That was an A$$HOLE comment.
like i really need more friends...:Flip:

:ban: Hmm... Is this an indication of repeated flaming?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.