For those who have p'coated rearsets

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, super quick, super important question. I just dropped all my parts off for the powder coaters, but he said he couldnt do the rear sets because they have a rubber bushing that would melt (no issue im having my father in law press them out at his shop) but he also said he couldnt do the shift lever do to the grease and bushing on that... (note the two pics)

so for you who have p-coated the rearsets, how the heck did you get that little fitting off? and even more important, how did you get it back on??

not to rush anyone, but the parts are at the powdercoaters waiting for that piece so he can do them all at once, so the sooner i find out, the sooner i can get them painted (the sooner i can share pics!!) so any information would be AWESOME!!! :BLAA:

DSC09857.jpg

shifter.jpg

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
The hard way (some did it) is to press them out... I was lazy and left them in... the parts were fine when I got them back from P.C., and I rode the bike for almost a year without a prob... I would not have been surprised if the rubber bushings would have failed shortly after that though... (bike was totalled so I will never know) :)

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
do you know how they were pressed out? it seems like it would pivot rather than press?

what makes you think they would have failed by leaving them in?

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
do you know how they were pressed out? it seems like it would pivot rather than press?

To do it right you need the special tools... but I remember a thread (cant find it now) in which someone had done it using home made tools (hammer + some imagination hehe)...

what makes you think they would have failed by leaving them in?

Well rubber doesn't like extreme temperature variations... P.C. does exactly that... so most likely the rubber will be "harder" and "brittle" after the P.C. heat cycle, but again, mine were fine... you can always get the replacement rubber for $2 and replace them later if necessary.

Some more info here: Powder Coated Rearsets - Sportbikes.net

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I gotta figure something out... i got all the parts sitting there waiting for the shifter... nobody has any other ideas???

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site
The shop I went to just spent time taping them off for me. So far no problems. Dont for get to seperate the plate with the two screws on the rear set, they have rubber in there as well. You propably already did that...

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
someone has to have an idea!! i know others have done it... do you think taping it off in that reflective metal tape would work? somethin! lol.. all these parts waiting for paint and i have no idea how to do it.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i just figured with all the people who did it there was a better way than "spray and pray". lol... i took all the other parts to my father in law who can press them out, but he said he cant press out the pivot.

So my next question, how do you replace the rubber if you cant get the pivot off? I would just "spray and pray" and replace the rubber no matter what, but how the heck would you get a new one on there? :confused: and wouldnt you have to repack the grease?

also, any thoughts on the heat reflective tape?