Central Machinery (Harbor Freight) Motorcycle Tire Changer

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased the 2 part Cntral Machinery Motorcycle Tire Changing set from Harbor Freight thinking I could save some cash in the long run.
Tire Changer
Motor Cycle Tire Adapter

Combined the total came out to ~$108. That's just under 2 tire changes around here so it sounded like a good deal. Unfortunatly I was wrong.

The instructions are by far the worst thing I've ever tried to decipher. With no pictures and vague wording like "Put the rim of the tire near the dismounter".. which is not labeled. Whoever wrote the instructions failed technical writing.

I'd like to think I'm relatively intelligent and have a decent knack for machinery but it took me about 30mins to figure out what it was talking about. Once I did, the actual bead breaking device worked very well and my hopes went up until I went to remove the tire.

The all metal design wrecks total havoc on alluminum rims. I chipped the powder coating off my test rim without even getting the lip of the tire off. The pry bar you're given to dismount the tire is not properly designed for any tire really, especially not the steep sidewals of a motorcycle tire. After attempting a few spots with soap and water, and chipping more powder coating off, and comming close to what I felt was going to actually bend the rim, I packed it back up in disgust and returned it. It was simply unacceptable.

I read people put tape and nylon over the levers and clamp as a sort of work around. But if I pay for a product it shouldn't need to be modified to do what it is supposed to do out of the box.

Do not buy this product you will regret it. :shakehead:

Last edited:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Oh man, I wish I'd known you were going to get one. I could have warned you off.

As you say, they're complete garbage. They will change a tire, but only if you don't care about the rim's looks. I put mine on the curb and let somebody else suffer with it.

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
cinder block, spud bar, and buddy is all you really need. can be done without scratching anything too.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the HF setup a few years ago. I had to make extensive mods to make it functional and prevent rim damage. In retrospect I would have either bought a No-Mar or had them changed by my local shop @ $10/wheel.

FZ6_Dude

FZ6 Corner Carver
Reaction score
Visit site
i have the harbor freight one as well i invested in a large can of plasti-dip and it works great on the clamps that hold the rim... keeps any scratches down and of course you need the no-mar tire changer bar worth the 100$ those two things make a world of difference for a cheap tire changing set up... granted i would still use loads of soap and lube it up nice and if you can heat the tires up before hand it makes it that much easier... but in the long run this set up is only meant to last till im outta debt and can actually afford a really nice no-mar setup... but for the price and the plasti-dip worth every penny...