Help me find the best helmet

cashcrzzy

Meandering Member
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
I now own a 10 year old shoei RF800 "My first helmet ".It is a good helmet but ,with my new bike I need a new helmet . I was thinking about buying a Shoei TZ-R .only because I like my helmet I have now .
I would like to stay around 300.00 usd .
I ride all year long so comfort ,noise, weight a big factor .we all know you cant road test a new helmet . Can you all give me your thoughts about the helmet you wear based on the 3 things listed above .
Thank You All For Your Help
Greg A.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have and love my Suomy, but if you like the Shoei they are also a top notch helmet. Perryn also posted a helmet review PDF on here a month or so ago so if you do a search for that it will have some very useful information about wind noise and other things.

Good luck !

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
personally I would go to your local bike shop and test fit a few and see how like the weight and fit of them. My scorpion exo-700 is pretty good but kinda loud at speed. i think the exo-1000 is a little lighter and had a sunglass gimmick built in.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an AGV Longway or GT Open as it is called else where. It is a modular one.

Very comfortable.
Bit noisy but I have had worse.
I have not noticed the weight so not an issue for me.

I have read that you should change your lid every 3 years!

W

wrightme43

It depends on your helmet size in my opinion. After reading the smackdown of Snell by motorcyclist, and then watching them try to discredit the research, and know knowing that Snell has changed its standards but only effective 2010, I am not going to wear any Snell rated helmet in the Med Sm or Extra small sizes. I wear a Medium so that shoots down alot of helmets.
I have a Shark RSR2 helmet that rocks except for one thing. Bug chunks make it thru the vents and land in my hair, sometimes still moving bug chunks.
All my gear is destroyed so now I am researching replacements. I will more than likely get another Shark RSR2 and deal with the bug chunks against the day I may need the helmet to save my life.

If you like go to motorcyclists website and read about the testing they did with the headforms. Over 300Gs in the smaller helmets. That will screw up the brain pretty bad, and then DOT helmets in the same size putting 170Gs into the brain which is proven survivable. They will all protect you, but some do a better job than others.
Hope it helps.
Steve

cashcrzzy

Meandering Member
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
"Perryn also posted a helmet review PDF"
I have not been able to find that post I did a search under perryn I am not finding it . thank you so far on your input . A guy at work has a 2 year old shoei RF1000 worn 15 times w/pic of dragon wants
200.00 usd never droped .
Also head size is Medium
steve thanks for info about motorcyclist i will check that out ! I had never heard of the Shark RSR2 looks like a very nice brain bucket, kevlar lined very nice .
Dead bugs jumping around on my bald head might not be good .. LOL
Please keep the input comming
If anyone can find the link to perryn`s post, please post here
Thanks Greg A.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Kakashi

Reaction score
The Mecca of of insane drivers, Orlando,FL
Visit site
I like my Shoei X-11, found the Norrick Abe replica for $389 on Ebay (retails about $700) Also seen Arai RX-7's on Ebay for $300. Both are top of the line helmets and can be custom fit to your head by swapping out cheek pads etc. Remember what Morpheus said "If the mind goes the body dies" Go to your local shop and try the fitment then spend a little time on Ebay, it'll be worth it

Last edited:

cashcrzzy

Meandering Member
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
well I ended up getting my friends helmet It wasnt a RF1000 it was a RF900 and got it for 200.00 it looks like this 1 SHOEI RF-900 - duhamel - tc - 2
It fits very well and is extremely quiet ,Have used it in the rain 2 times "friend wanted to kill me lol " did not have any leakage The RF900 has alot better padding than the Rf800 I had and the new 1 has a removable head liner for washing .
Thanks for all your help
Greg A.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Claud has already done this quest!
(I'm going to take credit for it anyways. So nah!)

The best helmet is AKUMA. End of story. They're DOT, SNELL, ECE 22-05 approved, they're the most technologically advanced and I think they look EVIL!

Evil relic. Akuma helmet bad! :: Akuma Helmets ::

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My choices are:

Shoei RF-1000
GMAX GM68S

Although I prefer the Shoei for it's outstanding sound isolation, i like the price of the GMAX!

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
If you give me a hug and kiss, I'll tell you how to get an Akuma Helmet for cheap...
...but you have to be nice! Okay?

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

Claud has already done this quest!
(I'm going to take credit for it anyways. So nah!)

The best helmet is AKUMA. End of story. They're DOT, SNELL, ECE 22-05 approved, they're the most technologically advanced and I think they look EVIL!

Evil relic. Akuma helmet bad! :: Akuma Helmets ::

Just because a helmet was voted the best or has certain approval ratings doesn't mean it performs the best under actual crash conditions and that's what I want to know about. A while back Snell was fuming over an article that was done by Motorcyclist and this really opened up some eyes relative to the so called cheaper helmets that actually performed as well or in some cases better than helmets twice their cost. Here is that article.

Motorcycle Helmet Design, Helmet Standards and Head Protection - Gear Box - Motorcyclist Online