Legal issue with number plates?

d11gla

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone know what you are allowed to do with your number plates??
I have D11GLA, but it wont look good if it has to be in this format!

D11
GLA

So do I leave it on the car or can I put it on a smaller plate on the back of the bike D11GLA ??

Cheers

d11gla

Reaction score
Visit site
Relevant to UK only! Thanks

Relevant to UK only! Thanks

Does anyone know what you are allowed to do with your number plates??
I have D11GLA, but it wont look good if it has to be in this format!

D11
GLA

So do I leave it on the car or can I put it on a smaller plate on the back of the bike D11GLA ??

Cheers

H

HavBlue

Do you folks not get the plate from the state with the proper assigned lettering?

From the way things read on that site its like you make your own plate.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you folks not get the plate from the state with the proper assigned lettering?

From the way things read on that site its like you make your own plate.
Hi Charlie,
When the bike is registered the department of transport issue a plate number that is specific to that vehicle and year at the time of registration.
Now for reasons that I don’t fully understand there is a massive surplus of plates. This may come from scrapped cars or maybe the DOT issue x amount of plates each year and then get left as surplus? As these plates are sold to generate revenue I think the latter is correct.
What some people try to do is find a plate that reflects a name or something to reflect them personally (hence in the UK we call them personal plates).
The famous entertainer Max Bigraves had the registration number MB1. Mercedes Benz tried to purchase from him for a reputable sum of £1.000.000. It is very lucrative indeed. Recently a young driver was given one of the new Mini Cooper’s as a present. What made the car special was that the plate cost twice as much as the car the plate read C00 PER in accordance with the legitimate way it should be displayed.
So to answer you question as long as you can find a plate that fits your bill, you can choose what you want. Personally I would like ST 1G or B0ND 007.

Cheers

Neil

d11gla

Reaction score
Visit site
So in my case HAVBLUE

My name is Derrick, I somehow got the nickname Diggla. So i purchased from the goverment the number plate D11GLA (as D1GLA was gone!)
There is no point in puttin this on my bike as above because it would have to be displayed

D11
GLA

on two lines, as thats the law in our country! not like some american plates ive seen where they are all on one line! Maybe i should move to America!

Hi Charlie,
When the bike is registered the department of transport issue a plate number that is specific to that vehicle and year at the time of registration.
Now for reasons that I don’t fully understand there is a massive surplus of plates. This may come from scrapped cars or maybe the DOT issue x amount of plates each year and then get left as surplus? As these plates are sold to generate revenue I think the latter is correct.
What some people try to do is find a plate that reflects a name or something to reflect them personally (hence in the UK we call them personal plates).
The famous entertainer Max Bigraves had the registration number MB1. Mercedes Benz tried to purchase from him for a reputable sum of £1.000.000. It is very lucrative indeed. Recently a young driver was given one of the new Mini Cooper’s as a present. What made the car special was that the plate cost twice as much as the car the plate read C00 PER in accordance with the legitimate way it should be displayed.
So to answer you question as long as you can find a plate that fits your bill, you can choose what you want. Personally I would like ST 1G or B0ND 007.

Cheers

Neil

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same problem mate ...

I have this plate on retention...

watermark.php

My first name is jonathan but have always been known as jona pronounced like Donna but with a J lol ... My surname starts with the letter C hence JON4 C ... It wouldn't look right on my bike as:

JON
4C

:mad:

I'll have to wait to put it on anice car .... wouldn't look right on my little citroen saxo lol !!

My missus keeps telling me to just sell it ... I might just do that !!

Last edited:
H

HavBlue

Seeing the plat before reading the text I thought you were a John Force fan.
I have personalized plates on the Harley and the FZ6. One is 4ABA and the other is ABBATOY.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Some twat just paid a fortune for the numberplate F1:

"A record price has been set for a British vehicle registration number after a businessman paid £440,625 to buy the Formula One initials F1."

d11gla

Reaction score
Visit site
I just had a 9 x 3 plate made, and gonna chance it on the back of the bike! Get JON4 C off retention!

I have the same problem mate ...

I have this plate on retention...

watermark.php

My first name is jonathan but have always been known as jona pronounced like Donna but with a J lol ... My surname starts with the letter C hence JON4 C ... It wouldn't look right on my bike as:

JON
4C

:mad:

I'll have to wait to put it on anice car .... wouldn't look right on my little citroen saxo lol !!

My missus keeps telling me to just sell it ... I might just do that !!