Pilot Road vs Pilot Power 2ct?

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok guys I still have my stock BT020's and will look to replace soon.

I have done a couple of hours of reading and am leaning toward either of these 2 michelin tires.

Would someone please explain to me the difference, in newbie terms, between the 2.

I notice incidentally the Pilot Road tires are slightly more $ than the Pilot Power 2ct.

Are both dual compound tires? Is there a significant performance difference? what about expected mileage?

Thanks all..
FB

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
Both are dual compound, the power is aimed at more aggressive riding or track oriented work and the road is more touring focused. I road both last year and can not say enough good things about either for the FZ6! I wound up primarily using the Power as the year went on mostly because I was doing a fair number of track days and ride reasonably aggressive on weekend rides. That said the Road's also did a couple of track days as well and preformed well. The road manners of both are excellent (imho), the big difference for me was wear. The power's I am getting about 3k miles out of. The roads were more like 6-7k, the roads here around me are pretty rough and chew tires and I have read where others get more but I would guess the difference would be similar. I just re-mounted roads on my FZ6 as i have a second, more track focused bike now and the FZ6 will be for commuting and occasional nuttiness, I am VERY confident in their ability for this (particularly in the wet, very confidence inspiring). Hope that helps.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I had a Pilot road on the front of my FZ6.... I liked it quite a bit. Tread seemed to hold up quite well for the 2-3K I put on it. Still looked new when I sold the bike.

S

Shamus McFeeley

I agree with kellybt1052. I've heard that the Pilot Powers center tread compound is softer than the Road 2cts compound. I've had both the Pilot and Road 2 and can say that you definitely get more mileage out of the Road 2. I usually buy mine from motorcycle superstore, but there are several sites out there that have competitive pricing. I commute 70 miles round trip five days a week, mostly on back roads. Both tires perform extremely well in rain, and inspire a lot more cornering confidence than other tires I've had.

Woe257

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with kellybt1052. I've heard that the Pilot Powers center tread compound is softer than the Road 2cts compound. I've had both the Pilot and Road 2 and can say that you definitely get more mileage out of the Road 2. I usually buy mine from motorcycle superstore, but there are several sites out there that have competitive pricing. I commute 70 miles round trip five days a week, mostly on back roads. Both tires perform extremely well in rain, and inspire a lot more cornering confidence than other tires I've had.

Good to know. I haven't replaced my front yet (a screw) it's winter so I keep following these threads. I too, drive around 70 each day round trip.

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
for those of you than run these tires....how does the handling characteristic differ from the bt020's? I've read opinions where they're more difficult to ride 2 up, they dont allow you to flick the bike too well, and put you deeper into turns, all because of the more v shaped profile. I believe the bt020's are a very neutral riding tire, anything out there with the same profile?

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
for those of you than run these tires....how does the handling characteristic differ from the bt020's? I've read opinions where they're more difficult to ride 2 up, they dont allow you to flick the bike too well, and put you deeper into turns, all because of the more v shaped profile. I believe the bt020's are a very neutral riding tire, anything out there with the same profile?

The Roads are more neutral, quite similar to the 020's in that respect but I found the roads to be MUCH more predictable and grippy than the 020's. The powers actually dive into corners VERY easily (the roads are pretty easy too) and both give excellent feel when leaned over. As for two up, no idea I never have a passenger so I'll leave that to others who ride two up regularly. I found either one of these to be big improvement over the 020's.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I am tiring to decide between the pp2ct or the Bridgestone bt-016. So many opinions to confuse me but I welcome them all. Fb400 have you considered the bridgestone into the mix? just what you needed right, another player in the game. :D

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I am not opposed to the bridgestone tires.. it is just that my head is spinning with so many choices. I thought I would pick manufactuer and compare different choices.

I am looking for a high mileage tire that can take occasional agressive riding but nothing too agressive. For the most part, I am an older rider (45) and I ride conservatively.

So far the road and power dual compound appeal to me the most.

As a side note, my buddy owns a bike performance shop and he swears by the metzeler m1 and m3 sportech. To me it sounds like way more of a sport tire than I need and the mileage on those will probably not come near what the road and power's would give.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I am not opposed to the bridgestone tires.. it is just that my head is spinning with so many choices. I thought I would pick manufactuer and compare different choices.

I am looking for a high mileage tire that can take occasional agressive riding but nothing too agressive. For the most part, I am an older rider (45) and I ride conservatively.

As a side note, my buddy owns a bike performance shop and he swears by the metzeler m1 and m3 sportech. To me it sounds like way more of a sport tire than I need and the mileage on those will probably not come near what the road and power's would give.

the Metzeler Roadtec Z6 is the mileage champ. I got almost 12,000 miles out of the rear and could have got around 15,000 front except I went ahead and changed it. They won't grip like a supersport tire but there are lots of videos on youtube of people running them edge to edge.

Ridgerunner1061

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike came to life with the Power Pilot 2 ct's. I would rather have a tire that grips the road like glue and replace it every season than have a tire that last longer but does not grip as well. Pilots Rock!!! I ride canyons and mountains, seldom on the freeways and never when it rains or snows.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Pilot power = Sport = More grip, Less milage.

Pilot road = Touring = Less grip, More milage.

Not sure I would completely agree with the Pilot road =less grip.

I've been running Roads on my FJR, a much heavier bike and push them real hard in the twisties and they have been rock solid.
Agree the Power is a softer tire and may stick better but unless you are among the 1-2 % of the riders good enough to push a bike (on the track I hope) to those limits the Road is a better value due to it's longer tread life.

IMHO Most quality motorcycle tires are so good these days I believe it's about tread depth, new tires vs older worn tires that make the difference how well a tire sticks to the road or handle changing conditions such as rain, debris and other road hazards.

I am a huge fan of Michelin tires because for me I have found the Roads just wear very well and meet my performance needs to the end of the tire life.
Sure some of that is just in my head but mental factor is a huge part of your riding confidence.

What really gets me is how some guys will run a tire beyond the service life just to be able to save a buck or brag how many miles they get out of a tire.
More power to them I guess but I'd rather not push my luck that hard.

Get the Road2's, ride long and hard. You will be satisfied with your choice.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site

I hear you with the head spinning thing. It sounds to me that with the riding you do that the pilot road is the tire for you. That is kind of the sense I have been getting from all the review I have read that it is a good touring tire with plenty of grip for any street riding. I do quite a bit of back road riding at a spirited (but not stupid) pace so I think I have decided on the bt-016. I have been pricing tires and the best prices I have found is motorcycle-superstore.com . When you factor in the free shipping it makes them the best price I can find so be sure to check them out before you purchase.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Pilot Roads (not Road 2) are a popular tire amongst my riding group. I put a set on the the FZ (replaced the OEM Dunlops) and have found them to be great driving (secure, predictable, smooth) and long-lasting (over 10k miles on a set).

The only person I know who didn't love the Roads has a Daytona 955 and is a very aggressive rider. His complaint was that they didn't have enough grip - he was coming off a sport tire with a high-hp/torque bike.

I think you'd really have to be riding the crap out of the FZ on a regular basis to find that it didn't offer enough grip.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool. I'm planning to do a track day this season and commute about 73 miles round trip -- I try for 5 days a week but it works out to at least 3. It's good to know the Pilot Roads (maybe the Pilot Road 2?) will last a good 10K and that I can take them to a track.

Pilot Road (Pilot Road 2) tires look like just over $250 shipped.

The extra expense of a different set of tires for track -- plus $60 install both -- would be annoying. Unless of course I get hooked and go to the track more then that's what I'd probably end up doing.

I have Road Smarts which served me well through almost 2 months of rain last Summer here in NH. Will the Pilot Roads do as well? The Road Smarts have about 5K on them and look pretty good.

Thanks,

Dennis

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Sure the PR2's are fine for the track, but like any tire -only to a point. All the track classes I have been to reguire your tire new or less than 20% wear.
I think you are trying to get two seperate uses out of the same tire.

My last track day on the FZ was riding new Pirelli Diablo's and they were just fine. Not so much the brand as the new condition.

I'd be just as happy with the Road too IF they were new.

Roads are a great tire but like any tire I would not take it to the track with it half worn
Track days are for pushing your skills as far as you can without a ride in the ambulance.

Ya if you get hooked then two sets of tires would be the way to go. Look at the tire polls, roads are a great tire.

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
@ Red Wazp:

That someone isn't capable to push the bike enough to get the extra grip on the Powers working isn't realy the point is it.

I ride on track and if I would use the roads I would crash for sure.

If he asks what the difference is between the 2 tires, Grip and milage. Simple no ...
Everybody needs to get the tire to fit their riding style.

Don't see why you disagree ... :rolleyes:

Last edited: