Accessory wiring the right way.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I finished wiring up my Fizzer for electrical accessories and made a quick video detailing how to do this. What I've done is added lockdown blocks that I can plug accessories into without having to do any major surgery on the bike's wiring. It's all fused and relayed and is a fairly clean looking install.

Anyway, details in the video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcQdkdeVWqs"]YouTube - How to wire a motorcycle, the right way.[/ame]

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
the video is great fred,very useful info....
1 question , , so to get a switched power outlet ,can i connect a cable to the positive side of the battery and run it through that black relay right on top of the battery? or how else could i wire for a switch on only positive cable?

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
the video is great fred,very useful info....
1 question , , so to get a switched power outlet ,can i connect a cable to the positive side of the battery and run it through that black relay right on top of the battery? or how else could i wire for a switch on only positive cable?

You could use the same setup to just have a switched power outlet. A 30 amp relay is going to be overkill for that situation, but I'd go with it anyway. Those relays can be had at any auto parts store, so they're easy to replace on the road.

You'll still need to tap switched power from the ignition switch to activate the relay.

To answer Reiobard's question, I initially found the wire I needed in the Yamaha service manual. But once I located it on the bike I did test it with a voltmeter to make sure I had the right one. The PDF of the service manual is very hard to read. The wire is on a white connector with a brown and red wire going into it. I believe I tapped the brown wire, but don't quote me on that. I can doublecheck if you need to know.

Fred

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Great video Fred!! It will be also great if you post up links to exactly which parts you ordered especially that relay connector and the hollow tube.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Thanks!

The conduit is sold under different names. A good electronic shop will carry it. Try asking for "flexo."

The relay connector on the battery is from Fry's electronics. The one by the horn relay is cut out of a K75 wreck.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fred this is a good attempt but I am an "Electronics idiot" I think the video is for peope who have half an idea of what you are talking about.

It would have been sooooooo good if you had shown us this step by step right from the start.

No critisism and thanks for posting this.

Steve

metallicat

Reaction score
www.KhandrosDesigns.com
This is probably a stupid question, but how do you get to the switched source inside the frame? I spent a while trying to find it w/ taking the bike apart, but no go...