tire mix

Woe257

Reaction score
Visit site
I lost a almost new front tire to a nail just before winter. Yet to replace it. I was going to replace identical.

Thinking I might like the M. Pilot Road 2 tire as a replacement over stock. How would this affect handling with the rear different than the PR 2 ? The tread seems similiar.

Would I be better off replacing with stock until I replace both ?

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I am sure some will tell you not to mix tires but I have done it on several bikes (including my FZ) with no problems. As long as you use the proper size it should be ok.
The PR2 is a excellent tire!

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am sure some will tell you not to mix tires but I have done it on several bikes (including my FZ) with no problems. As long as you use the proper size it should be ok.
The PR2 is a excellent tire!

Ditto. Just be aware that some tread patterns are designed to have rear work in combination with the front so take it a little easier in the wet if this is the case until you suss out how it feels:D.

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
When I changed my original dunlops the rear was VERY squared off but the front had loads of life, but after loads of reading decided to go for a pair.

As ozzieboy says, it's wet conditions where it really matters as some front tyres are designed to clear loads of water so it's "dry" for the rear, where as others clear less and rely on the rear clearing water also.

I'm in the UK and it RAINs very often here so it's an important factor :D

How about replacing both now and selling the stock rear as there is bound to be somebody with a good front and a worn out stock rear . . . . just a thought ;)

Woe257

Reaction score
Visit site
When I changed my original dunlops the rear was VERY squared off but the front had loads of life, but after loads of reading decided to go for a pair.

As ozzieboy says, it's wet conditions where it really matters as some front tyres are designed to clear loads of water so it's "dry" for the rear, where as others clear less and rely on the rear clearing water also.

I'm in the UK and it RAINs very often here so it's an important factor :D

How about replacing both now and selling the stock rear as there is bound to be somebody with a good front and a worn out stock rear . . . . just a thought ;)

I've been debating that and may do so. I was waiting to see what others had to say about this also. I have so few miles on the rear, but I tend to like the same tire concept, but....