Tank bag?

E

eric1980ca

I picked up my 07 FZ6 this past weekend and am loving it.

Does anyone have a tank bag for their bike? I'm looking for an easy way to carry a little extra stuff when needed.

Thanks!

-Eric

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi!

I bought a Louis tank bag for my bike last summer. It's not the best fit, but it'll do. I keep a piece of rubber mat under it so that the tank wouldn't get scratched. The bag is just the right size. Not too high so it's not in the way, but not too small either.

Here's some pictures:

W

wrightme43

I use the cargo basics from www.cyclegear.com. Its on sale right now for 39.99, its expandable, with a sealed clear map pocket on top. Its magnetic and fits the bike well in my opinion.
The saddle bags work well also.

CMHrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Nelson Rigg Silver Streak. It works well for me. It's not expandable but it has the clear plastic map pocket on top, spots for pens, phone and a place headphones can come out if you like to listen to music on the road.

S

sportrider

cheap alternative

I use a regular backpack as a tailbag,if you unhook the shoulder straps and cross them under the backpack running them threw the passenger handgrabs,it stays securely attached to the bike. my bag cost $6.00 at walmart(back to school special)

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm like Danny, I use a Wal-Mart backpack as a tail bag. Hooks up easy and quick to the passenger rails and won't budge if hooked up right. Could save you a bundle if you just want to haul little stuff around.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a Cortech 21 liter magnetic mounting tank bag a few days ago. It is expandable, but If I expand it to the max, I can no longer see the speedometer. It has lots of pockets, includes a rain cover and converts to a backpack. I like it but wish it had a gas tank hole cut out in the mounting mat. Then I wouldn't have to remove it the mat when I gas up.

There was another unexpected benefit. I can't really explain it, but it feels like my upper body takes less wind at highway speeds. The tank bag is below the level of the windshield, so this was surprising (to me)

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I use a basic Oxford 1 Expander tank bag. LOVE IT! Can't imagine riding now without one! I am always amazed at how much stuff I can pack into this thing!
1stimexpndrmain.jpg

http://www.bikesax.com/Merchant2/me...&Product_Code=TBG-OX412&Category_Code=OXL-TBG

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a Tour Master TB-12 magnetic tank bag. I tried about 5 different ones (gotta love eBay) before settling on it.

The others were:

Cortech Mini-magnetic = too small
Held = very nice but too long
Wolfman mag = essentially the same but an odd grey/carbon color that looked greenish sometimes
Motopak = very cheap looking to my eye

S

sportrider

I've never tried a tank bag, I think they would get in the way. I like to riide with my left arm across the tank in a semi tuck .

W

wrightme43

Mine makes a tuck more comfortable. It gives me something soft to set my chest against. You might like one if you try one. I cant imagine not having one.
In mine tonight. I went to walmart. Unexpanded.
three packs of commit losenges. (40 days with no smoking)
one shield cleaning spray wraped in a microfiber cloth.
small bottle of colonge (farenheight)
one box altoids
one box condoms
two redbull
one 32 load All free and clear small and mighty laundry soap
one cell phone
one map of ky
one map of tn
one map of land between the lakes
one map of deals gap
one schedule for Beech Bend race way.
one pair aerostich elkskin gauntlets
one pair glove liners
one pair sunglasses
one small bottle baby powder
one bottle of fresh breath spray
one 4 pack toffifay candies
misc hard candies peppermints, spearmint, and lemon

When expanded earlier I used it to take my dad his fathers day present.

In conjunction with the saddle bags I have a insane amount of storage.
Now I did learn to stow things on a nuclear submarine so I may be able to fit more stuff in to the same amount of space.

I mean three pairs of jeans, three shirts, three underwear, socks, extra shoes, swimwear, toiletries, extra riding jacket, with tons of room left over, and the bags expand as well, but I have never needed to.

Right at $200 for all of it at www.cyclegear.com

S

sportrider

three packs of commit losenges. (40 days with no smoking)
congrats that is something that I've been struggling with for years!!! I always say I'm going to quit but thats easy to say while I'm smoking..thats off topic but worth talking about!!

ya maybe I'll give a tankbag a try.

Last edited by a moderator:

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
agree with sport

When im cruzing down the interstate, i like to tuck into the windscreen. I lay down on the tank and make my self comfortable. rear bags would own though.

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
I have the Nelson Rigg Silver Streak. It works well for me. It's not expandable but it has the clear plastic map pocket on top, spots for pens, phone and a place headphones can come out if you like to listen to music on the road.

I ordered the Nelson Riggs Tank bag and the saddle bags last night.....I hope they are nice

also a heads up CORTECH had a huge shipment stolen overseas and most of their stuff is indefinately backordered.

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
tucking?

When under the windscreen, does the tank bag get in the way? I lay my belly on the tank and get comfortable.

gr8eyes

Reaction score
Visit site
How about this Cortech super mini. Should fit the profile of the FZ wehttp://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=142&cat=31ll
Its streamlined a bit. Should hold several odds and ends.

I have the super 10 liter bag on my FJR and it holds all my electronics such as V-1, mp3,autocom and phone. But its too big for the FZ6

Glenn