Engine Trouble

jerman1

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an "04 fz6. This fall it started making a small almost unnoticable clank/tick noise. I wasn't sure really where it was coming from. The next day as I pulled up to a stop light it sounded like someone opened up the top of my engine and dropped a piece of gravel inside then closed it back up. I pulled off the side of the road, and hauled it back home to my garage. I am not sure where to begin with this. I am thinking that it may be the timing chain, or the cams. I don't want to tear into it until I know more of what I am up against.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an "04 fz6. This fall it started making a small almost unnoticable clank/tick noise. I wasn't sure really where it was coming from. The next day as I pulled up to a stop light it sounded like someone opened up the top of my engine and dropped a piece of gravel inside then closed it back up. I pulled off the side of the road, and hauled it back home to my garage. I am not sure where to begin with this. I am thinking that it may be the timing chain, or the cams. I don't want to tear into it until I know more of what I am up against.

How many miles on the bike?

A timing chain tensioner, once failing will make quite a racket as the chain slops around. The tensioner is on the right side of the bike, the chain partially uinder the smaller right side crankshaft/cranckcase cover.

Can you tell if the noise is coming more so from the right side of the engine?

You can download the manual from the forum, it details how to R&R the tensioner and check it. If you can narrow down the noise to the right side chain area, you can also take off the smaller cover (no need to drain the oil) and take a peek, take notice if the chain is flopping around, the guides worn or of the tensioner is even pushing out on the rear guide...

Last edited:

jerman1

Reaction score
Visit site
There is just over 20000 miles on it, which I have put most of them on the bike myself. It is kind of hard to pinpoint exactly where the noise is originating from. The bike lost a lot of power when it started happening, cuz I had to get accross the intersection to safety, but it wasn't easy. I am too afraid at this point to start the bike back fearing causing any more damage that what has been done.

Earlier last year I had warranty work done on the throttle sensor and had it replaced. The yamaha shop replaced it, I hope that they did not bother anything else while doing so.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles on the bike?

A timing chain tensioner, once failing will make quite a racket as the chain slops around. The tensioner is on the right side of the bike, the chain partially uinder the smaller right side crankshaft/cranckcase cover.

Can you tell if the noise is coming more so from the right side of the engine?

+1 Check this first at it's quick and easy to remove and reinstall. In addition, you might want to pull the valve cover to check clearances. Isolating the area that the noise originates will make things easier to solve.

No matter what, do not ignore the fact that something has changed and created this new noise. If you are unable to diagnose it, have a mechanic look at it for you.

EDIT:

....The bike lost a lot of power when it started happening, cuz I had to get accross the intersection to safety, but it wasn't easy. I am too afraid at this point to start the bike back fearing causing any more damage that what has been done...

Reading this addition makes me think valve train or chain tensioner failure for sure.

DO NOT RESTART THE MOTOR!!

Check items as listed above before you go any further. If a valve lifter has shattered or the chain tension is gone, the pistons can hit the valves causing severe engine damage.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you lost a lot of power when the noise started, its possible the cam chain jumped a tooth. Normally, the chain will make some noise for awhile before failing completely. If the spring inside the tensioner broke altogether, all bets are off, there won't be any tension on the chain and that'll allow it to jump a tooth..

FJRs, will run with a tooth off but major loss of power. I'd be pulling the valve cover, side cover and checking cam timing as well as the above noted..

I agree with the above, if your not up to checking the timing valves, etc get it to someone, it could become very expensive if not corrected...

Scott

jerman1

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh boy... Lol... Ok this sounds like something I don't really want to get into by myself then...I may pull some covers to see if anything jumps out at me. If the timing chain is the culprit, will the shafts have to be replaced along with it?
I called the yamaha shop and they wanted close to 200 just to diagnose the problem up front, that seemed a little high.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh boy... Lol... Ok this sounds like something I don't really want to get into by myself then...I may pull some covers to see if anything jumps out at me. If the timing chain is the culprit, will the shafts have to be replaced along with it?
I called the yamaha shop and they wanted close to 200 just to diagnose the problem up front, that seemed a little high.

Where are you located in the U.S.? Some local member MIGHT be willing to take a look to give you an idea of what has happened...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Where are you located in the U.S.? Some local member MIGHT be willing to take a look to give you an idea of what has happened...

+1 on the above.

Before I gave Yamaha $200, I'd at least pull the side cover and take a peek. Might take all of 15 minutes to see how loose or tight that chain is. The tensioner is right there too....

The shafts would not need replacing, just re-timed and the tensioner checked/replaced. Re-setting the cams would require the valve cover to come off to check the marks.

Hopefully, the valves didn't meet the pistons.....