SHOEI Pinlock Shield Anti Fog Inserts

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I got this late Fall this year. I had a hard time figuring out from all the reviews and photos what it really is so here's my description:

Basically, you get a new visor that has pin locks installed on the ends; this visor replaces your current visor. You also get a pin lock insert -- this is a flexible plastic shield that has slots on the ends that fit the position of the pin locks on the new visor. This plastic shield has soft silicone lines on its perimeter such that when installed onto the pin locks and mounted on the inside of the new visor (silicone touching the back of the visor), it forms a seal on the visor. This seal traps in air in the shape of the plastic shield -- the theory is that this trapped air insulates the shield and prevents the fogging. There are different visors to fit different helmets -- mine is for Shoei RF-1000.

The clear shield with pin locks is about $36
The pin lock anti fog insert costs about $27
Total is about $63 plus $7 shipping = $70 (pricey but a clear shield is valuable right?)

So, do they work? I've had this thing for a few months now. I've tested it in various temperatures all below 50F. It seems to work well. However, at lower temperatures, it does not work as well. I tried it at temperatures near 30F and it tends to leak. I.e., it seems that the seals don't quite seal that well and air gets in. As a result, condensation builds and fogs up the helmet (that's right fogs up this anti fog product!). The problem with this situation is that if it fogs up enough, there is no way to clear it unless you stop, remove the insert and wipe it. Lucky for me, the condensation formed outside of my line of sight. At 17F, the situation got worse and a lot of vision was blocked enough to shorten the ride. I wonder if I installed the insert correctly.

Can you use it at night? I was not happy that it said "For Daytime Use Only" -- it did not say that in the advertisement. Well, I bought it because cold nights are not so good when your face is cold because you keep having to open the visor to clear the fog. I've used this product at night many times and find it ok. You get reflections on the helmet towards the edges of the visor but you adjust and learn to ignore those. Once you get used to that, I find night use acceptable.

Maintenance? I remove the visor and insert and clean them separately using soap, water, and a soft towel. I dry gently by blotting and waving them around (to avoid scratching) to get the water off. I let them sit for an hour to dry. If you don't, moisture is trapped in the trapped air; when exposed to cold air, it fogs and you cannot see.

Durability? Seems durable and I only worry about scratching the fog insert -- I think I have a few tiny scratches but you don't notice when using it. I'm wondering if the silicone lining is just wearing and may ask about a warranty on this and may consider buying a new one next Winter. I'm a little annoyed that it wore out this fast. However, I'm wondering if I just need to adjust the fit onto the back of the visor for a better seal.

Worth it? fog has not been a problem since I got this. Even with fog on the helmet it is still out of my line of site so it is somewhat acceptable although annoying. Before, it was a constant battle fighting the fog and now it is only a minimal battle at worst. I think it's worth about $45 and not $70 and so my conclusion is it is overpriced. But with this device, I can ride in cold temperatures and keep a warm face so that's a big plus.

Below is a picture of what my helmet looked like when I came in after a 20F one hour ride. The half circle of condensation is between the back of the visor and the anti-fog insert. I could still see fine but it was annoying to not be able to clear the fog.

4213695277_663c56f468.jpg

Dennis

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good write-up!

That picture shows it is a definite seal leak as that shouldn't happen at all, even in the lowest of temperatures. Give the company a call and ask if there is anything you can do first, or something they can do if you cannot.

Well done!!

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Good write-up!

That picture shows it is a definite seal leak as that shouldn't happen at all, even in the lowest of temperatures. Give the company a call and ask if there is anything you can do first, or something they can do if you cannot.

Well done!!

Thanks and will do.

Happy New Year.

Dennis

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with FZ1inNH, I would firstly contact your own shop and see what they will do for you and otherwise get in touch with the company.

I've been riding over 4 years with a pinlock on my Nolan helmet, and I'm very pleased with it. My previous pinlock shield was simply held in place with 2 studs, one on either side, but this was sufficient to keep it firmly secured. A big advantage of this was that it was easily removeable during the summer months when it was not necessary.

I recently bought a new visor with pinlock for my helmet and this one also has 2 studs to hold it in place but now has the soft silicon lines around the edge. Personally I find that the silicon lines slightly increase the distance between both the helmet visor and the pinlock visor, compared to my old style pinlock this definately increases refractions from headlights and streetlights, which can be slightly annoying at night, especially in the rain.

Having said this I wouldn't want to ride without pinlock, especially in the winter.

Good luck with your leaking pinlock, I hope you get it sorted soon :thumbup:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FYI you can buy the pinlock system without buying a new visor. They come with a drill bit so you just drill your visor using the template, screw in the ball ends, then install the pinlock sheet.

I haven't tried it myself, I use Cat Crap instead which I like.

dungog

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure if you're aware since it wasn't mentioned in your post, but the pins which the inserts lock onto are actually offset slightly so you can rotate them inwards using a flat head screwdriver. This allows the insert to be compressed more and create a tight seal between the visor and insert.

I usually find myself readjusting mine every so often.

Other than that I love the pinlock inserts and they will definatley be on all my future helmets.

Falcon1220

Reaction score
Visit site
I did not realize they were so pricey. I bought a new HJC- C16 helmet two months ago. This fog shield devise was included free with my helmet. I have had no problems with it. I use it every day, even when it is raining. Yes I ride in the rain.
I set of to work around 6am and it is still dark outside. I had no problems in the dark. I have noticed a small reflection, as you have mentioned in your review, during sunny afternoons.
I hope this thing last longer than a few months because it works well.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine started out good and then degraded. I'll try to adjust the pinlocks as suggested above. The vendor gave me an address to return it to and get a new one.

Agreed -- there are reflections (esp. at night hence the "daytime use only" warning) but you get used to them.

Honestly, I waited to send it back because it was better than nothing during the frigid temps. Now that it's getting warm, I'm ok with sending and waiting for a new one because I don't need it anymore. Perhaps I will try the new one in the rain. I cannot use it everyday because I only have the clear one and I love my tinted shield for sunny days. I can always use it at night.

Dennis

Jim Karam

Trying to Keep Up
Reaction score
www.karam.com
Unfortunately, the original and replacement pinlock in my Nolan also had the localized fogging around the nose:(. However, it rarely interfered with my vision, so I chalked it up to being a cosmetic nuisance since my vision rarely fogged.