Hang that helmet

teslas

Reaction score
Visit site
How would you like to be able to do this?

RIghtsidehang.jpg

It seemed to me that my bike is in need of a helmet holder. I mean, what the heck do you expect to do when you have your passenger with you and only have room for one helmet on the lock?
And for you guys with a Pre-07 model, I'm sure it would be nice to have a place to hang your helmet?

So, here is a little something that I threw together tonight. Sure it is a little crude, but it works.

First thing you need is a Zip tie and one of those little loop things that Rock climbers use (I'll call it the c loop). It may work with a smaller size one, but this is the smallest they had.
ZipTieandLoop.jpg

Tie the Zip tie around the frame under the seat. I chose a single zip tie on the right side for my test (you may want to use 2 if you want). Then hook the c loop into the zip tie. Place your helmet loop on the c loop and make sure that the c hook is inside the body plastics.

Topdown.jpg

Put the seat back on and it should look like this. Enjoy!
Upclose.jpg

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
does that qualify as ghetto???

around these parts you'd come back and wonder where you're helmet rolled off to....never to be seen again.
Riding a bike has plenty of advantages....some disadvantages....one being you get to carry your gear with you.......I never used a bike lock, even when i had one. I carried my precious pride and joy with me.

I'm the same way, my helmet goes wherever I go. I flew up to Oregon for Christmas and parked my bike at the airport. I wore full gear onto the plane plus carrying my helmet. Being that my bike is my only ride, you get use to taking your helmet everywhere you go.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
The only time I leave mine is to go in and eat or something like that when I go off on trips. I normally just hang mine off the passanger foot peg on the right side.

However, your idea is a good one. I think I may add one for the Florida trip coming up.
Thanks.

-bryan

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
The European models have a helmet lock fitted as standard but in the UK there is no way your helmet would stay there for long ;)

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Years ago I found a helmet lock cable at a bike shop. It's a piece of plastic coated steel cable about a foot long with a loop at each end. The idea is that you loop it around the chinbar of the helmet and then the loops hook to the helmet lock. It makes the helmet much harder to steal, and also easier to attach to the lock.

I leave it hanging on the helmet lock all the time and it's not caused any problems.

You could make the exact same thing at Home Depot.

Fred

teslas

Reaction score
Visit site
It greatly depends where I leave my helmet locked/unlocked or even on my bike.

I'd never leave my helmet locked on my bike at an airport. and even then I'd bring my raggedy helmet.
In certain parts of town or certain areas (like going to San Fransisco) I'll lock it. But at most other areas or if i'm running in for a few minutes? I don't bother locking it.

The makeshift bike lock is for convenience. If you don't feel trusting enough to use 1 tie wrap, use 2. Or find some some other material to use. Remember, the folks on the outside don't have any clue that your only using a tie wrap to support your setup.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
does that qualify as ghetto???

around these parts you'd come back and wonder where you're helmet rolled off to....never to be seen again.
Riding a bike has plenty of advantages....some disadvantages....one being you get to carry your gear with you.......I never used a bike lock, even when i had one. I carried my precious pride and joy with me.
+1 I would come back to find the lid missing, its a good idea though. I use a d-lock to lock the helmet on the bike. I would like the option of a helmet lock though.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks i've been lookin for a better way than the standard helmet lock to do this.
(if your bike didn't come with the lock don't feel bad....it's kinda cheesy!

crazy_canuck

Reaction score
Visit site
Now there is a great idea! My buddy just has a small tab under his seat on his YZF that he hooks his helmet to and I was thinking of rigging up something sililar if I could not find an after market lock. Now I can just do this! Thanks! :Flash:

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
That's nice.

I keep two spare, small locks on my clutch cable...never scratches the tank or anything.

When I want to, I put the helmet on top of the cable, hook the lock to the cable and the other the helmet, and thats it.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I made these up at work. I work in the sail making industry and all the parts are stainless.

The way the SWR is plaited makes it almost impossible to cut with wire cutters. But they can be cut with bolt cutters. I can add a material protective sleeve which will foil even the bolt cutters but I like the look of them as they are.

They are 18" long and fasten to all sorts of places on the bike. I have also made them at 2 metres for my leathers.

I was a police officer for 8 years and found that if it is locked the thief would rather find an easier object to steal.

Steve

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I made these up at work. I work in the sail making industry and all the parts are stainless.

The way the SWR is plaited makes it almost impossible to cut with wire cutters. But they can be cut with bolt cutters. I can add a material protective sleeve which will foil even the bolt cutters but I like the look of them as they are.

They are 18" long and fasten to all sorts of places on the bike. I have also made them at 2 metres for my leathers.

I was a police officer for 8 years and found that if it is locked the thief would rather find an easier object to steal.

Steve

those are pretty sweet, woudl you be into making them as one off sales to members of a motorcycle forum... say for example... 600riders.com?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Steve

those are pretty sweet, would you be into making them as one off sales to members of a motorcycle forum... say for example... 600riders.com?

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Steve

I like the setup, BUT what's the toothbrush for?:Flash: