TechSpec Tank Grips

thatguyx

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked these up from a member on the forum who bought the generic sheet and cut them out. he did a great job with the shape. when i first got the package i was surprised by how much they weigh, but it's still less than 1lb, so no biggie. when i first attached them i thought they were in a good spot, but when i sat on the bike i realized i mounted them too high. luckily techspec pads have a re-usable adhesive, so i heated it up with a hair dryer and then peeled'em off. warmed up the tank a little and they stuck back on... no hassle no mess.

i've only ridden with them once in jeans, but they feel like an improvement. i'll report back when i get more aggressive saddle time.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Wow..me likey!!!! Who you get em from and does he have any more???

BTW guy...I ordered up my Two Bros Carbon exhaust today!! WOOT!

thatguyx

Reaction score
Visit site
i got it from a member of SBN, you can buy the generic sheets at TechSpec-usa Motorcycle Gripster Tank Grips, unfortunately they dont have a pre-cut for the FZ6. However on their site, you can contact them and send them your template and they'll make a custom cut for you... infact they might be able to use it as the main shape for all FZ6s.

The guy i bought them from had 2 sheets and had extra so he made another set of tank grips. he also made himself a tank protector, but he didn't have enough material to make one more. it's all good though because i have my 3M material on there.

Techspec also makes two other variants of their gripster tank grips. The one I have is their "best" for aggressive riding/track. They also offer a material called high fusion, which is aggressive riding and maybe track, that comes in a different pattern. and they also have a less stickier version for street riding called ice (or something like that).

congrats on finally ordering the 2Bros. I still want mine; I found out i get a pretty good price through work, but now I'm just worried if it'll be too loud. Debating between the 2Bros and the quad-lasers now. I want something a little louder, but not annoyingly loud.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i got it from a member of SBN, you can buy the generic sheets at TechSpec-usa Motorcycle Gripster Tank Grips, unfortunately they dont have a pre-cut for the FZ6. However on their site, you can contact them and send them your template and they'll make a custom cut for you... infact they might be able to use it as the main shape for all FZ6s.

The guy i bought them from had 2 sheets and had extra so he made another set of tank grips. he also made himself a tank protector, but he didn't have enough material to make one more. it's all good though because i have my 3M material on there.

Techspec also makes two other variants of their gripster tank grips. The one I have is their "best" for aggressive riding/track. They also offer a material called high fusion, which is aggressive riding and maybe track, that comes in a different pattern. and they also have a less stickier version for street riding called ice (or something like that).

congrats on finally ordering the 2Bros. I still want mine; I found out i get a pretty good price through work, but now I'm just worried if it'll be too loud. Debating between the 2Bros and the quad-lasers now. I want something a little louder, but not annoyingly loud.

As for a template wold you be willing to trace yours? those look great and look like they provide the coverage that is intended for the FZ6

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow..me likey!!!! Who you get em from and does he have any more???

BTW guy...I ordered up my Two Bros Carbon exhaust today!! WOOT!

Don't forget to post pics Boneman ... I love the two bro's exhaust, too expensive over the pond though :(

p.s ... I don't think I'd part with my Leo's :)

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Targa makes a set that are removeable; I've been thinking of getting them not so much to increase my leg grip on the tank, but to insulate them a bit. Wrapping your legs around a metal gas can when it's 25 degrees is a bit unpleasant! :eek:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
First off, a big thanks to thatguyx for putting me onto TechSpec with this post. After seeing his pics and post, I deceided to order up some of this stuff.

Like thatguyx, I also purchased the 'Snake Skin' material. It arrived yesterday in the mail. I was surprized at how heavy this stuff is! I order a "generic sheet" and it comes with the following:

x2 7.0 x 13.0 inch sheets
x1 pre cut tank protector
x2 TechSpec stickers
- instructions
- templates

DSCF3851.JPG

As previously stated, there is currently no supplied FZ6 template so I set off to make my own. It's a pretty simple porcess of just using some paper, a pencil and some scissors. Start large and whittle your way down untill you get a shape you like/want.

DSCF3853.JPG

Then simply trace out onto the back of the TechSpec sheets and cut out with sharp scissors.

I warmed up my tank witha heat gun on low, then applied the TechSpec pieces and let set overnight. The little bottom piece is more 'show' than 'go' and something I just made with some of the extra material.

DSCF3854.JPG

Last edited:

thatguyx

Reaction score
Visit site
looks good. have you tried them out yet? Oh those little bottom pieces you made, I know you said more show than go, but do they make any difference for you? and would you happen to have and extra? eheh

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I 'tried them out' I guess on the way into work this morning. It's one of those things that you notice, by not noticing. I didn't notice the material itself, only that my legs/thighs didn't slide. But it's only been one ride with no twisties. That will be a better test.

The little pads I have near the bottom of the tank are in the countour of the tank so I don't think they really touch andy portion of your leg when riding. Again, it might come into use diving into twisities or if I get off the saddle in a lean. Not sure.

I don't have a lot of extra material left. Are you out of yours?? I didn't use the pre-made tank protector as of yet and I was thinking of adding a strip down the frame near the rearsets to stop my boots scuffing up the frame down there.

I will be posting up my templates later.

thatguyx

Reaction score
Visit site
the two pieces you see in my picture i bought from another member on SBN. he bought the same generic sheet you bought and had made an extra set of side tank pads, so I bought those off him. From what I noticed the legs contact area is mostly above the crease on the tank, and a little below. However because of the contour I'm not sure those little pieces at the bottom would come in handy, but you never know

Oh btw, you might want to consider sending your templates to techspec, so they have something for the FZ6. Perhaps give you a discount on another set or something.

again, if you have some extra material left over, i'd be willing to buy it off of you because I just want those little pieces that fit underneath the contour of the tank. I think it might make a difference for me.

Last edited:

thatguyx

Reaction score
Visit site
Biker you got pics? I checked over their site and I dont see anything. Does the cut come with only one piece for the main part of the tank or does it come with the little bottom cut out like Boneman made?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I 'tried them out' I guess on the way into work this morning. It's one of those things that you notice, by not noticing. I didn't notice the material itself, only that my legs/thighs didn't slide. But it's only been one ride with no twisties. That will be a better test.

The little pads I have near the bottom of the tank are in the countour of the tank so I don't think they really touch andy portion of your leg when riding. Again, it might come into use diving into twisities or if I get off the saddle in a lean. Not sure.

I don't have a lot of extra material left. Are you out of yours?? I didn't use the pre-made tank protector as of yet and I was thinking of adding a strip down the frame near the rearsets to stop my boots scuffing up the frame down there.

I will be posting up my templates later.

What do these do for you??? Inquiring minds want to know...:confused:

thatguyx

Reaction score
Visit site
like boneman said, better leg grip. good for aggressive riding, track , or ever regular street riding.

when braking hard, you should grip the tank with your knees/thighs, sometimes you'll slip a little shifting your weight forward. This will put more weight on your front wheel, making it easier to lock your rear, and most importantly may slam your family jewels into the tank. Add some StompGrips or TechSpec gripsters and squeezing teh tank with your knees and you'll be less likely if at all sliding forward causing the dreaded nut crunch.

when trying to hang off, it gives you a much more stable feeling and feed back from your leg. Trying to hang off in jeans sometimes just doesn't grip the side of the tank like a pair of leathers. Also our tanks aren't designed like most supersports for gripping while hanging off. Nothing is more upsetting than hitting a bump while hanging off and then feeling a little slip.

You can look at StompGrips or TechSpecs for all-out riding. If you dont want something like that or something that looks a little more subtle, TechSpec offers two other types of gripsters. One is called High Fusion, which looks like skateboard grip tape, but is actually a rubber surface so it wont eat away at your jeans/leathers. The 3rd Techspec option is called Ice, which is another rubberized friction adhesive, but it's clear (more or less). Some people prefer this to keep that stock look of their bikes.

Hope this helps.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
like boneman said, better leg grip. good for aggressive riding, track , or ever regular street riding.

when braking hard, you should grip the tank with your knees/thighs, sometimes you'll slip a little shifting your weight forward. This will put more weight on your front wheel, making it easier to lock your rear, and most importantly may slam your family jewels into the tank. Add some StompGrips or TechSpec gripsters and squeezing teh tank with your knees and you'll be less likely if at all sliding forward causing the dreaded nut crunch.

when trying to hang off, it gives you a much more stable feeling and feed back from your leg. Trying to hang off in jeans sometimes just doesn't grip the side of the tank like a pair of leathers. Also our tanks aren't designed like most supersports for gripping while hanging off. Nothing is more upsetting than hitting a bump while hanging off and then feeling a little slip.

You can look at StompGrips or TechSpecs for all-out riding. If you dont want something like that or something that looks a little more subtle, TechSpec offers two other types of gripsters. One is called High Fusion, which looks like skateboard grip tape, but is actually a rubber surface so it wont eat away at your jeans/leathers. The 3rd Techspec option is called Ice, which is another rubberized friction adhesive, but it's clear (more or less). Some people prefer this to keep that stock look of their bikes.

Hope this helps.

It does, I just never thought about that nor had a problem with it, I guess... My track bikes never had anything like that. How about good old skateboard grip tape?