Little Help?... with timing chain tensioner

Ricko

Reaction score
Visit site
I need a little help, Like a lot o bikes my timing chain tensioner was producing some rattling sounds. Per a buddy of mine, he suggested that I take off the top nut and add a little motor oil to it, cause it is possible that the motor wasn't oiling itself suffiently enough. it really seemed to help out, problem solved.

...but my curiosity got the best of me and I couldn't leave well enough alone so I removed the entire chain tensioner to investigate it further. Big Fail on my part. I can't put the thing back on and room in that area is limited, can anyone give me some pointers, tips, suggestions, other than you shouldn't have done that.. thanks in advance for those comments.. :eek: please help.. thanks!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I haven't futzed with it myself..... as mine is not noisey, I haven't seen reason to fiddle with it.

2005 Yamaha FZ6STC FZ6 OEM Parts, 2005 Yamaha FZ6STC FZ6 OEM Motorcycle Parts - BikeBandit.com

I'm assuming you backed item 7 out of the tensioner, and removed the tensioner by taking out the bolts ID'd at #10 on the schematic, right?

The plunger end (internal to the motor) is supposed to take up whatever slack is in the chain by expanding; just like a hydraulic lifter does for valves. That pushes against the 'shoe' that rides on the chain to take up the slack.

With the #7 bolt all the way out, I would hope you can depress the plunger into the tensioner..... I guess I'm having trouble visualizing what the problem might be. If you can collapse the tensioner, it should slide into the hole to be bolted back in place, and then you could install #7 again at that point.

Ricko

Reaction score
Visit site
This illustration shows the tensioner in its retracted form, ready to load. when actually installing the tensioner it is not like this, it should be fully extended, and its not shown like that here. in order to retracted it you must first use a small screwdriver to twist to retract the plunger "hold it in place" then install. I cannot seem to hold it in place and install it. the spring is very strong and once you have retracted the plunger guiding into place it is easy to lose grip on it, resulting in the plunger wanting to extend to its intended position. I hope that explains a bit more.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I'm talking without practical experience.... can you use the bolt hole to thread a loop of wire through, to hold the tensioner back? Remove the wire when it's insatlled?

Ricko

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I got it, the key is finding or altering a longer thin screwdriver to twist the tensioner and hold it steady while getting it into place and still keep tension on the spring while installing it. that should be it, going to try it now.

Ricko

Reaction score
Visit site
Got it. thanks everyone. the key is just finding a long enough screwdriver, to hold it in place while installing it.:rockon:

noxy

Reaction score
Visit site
My fz6 (2004) also does that noise. Tomorrow i will check tensioner. Thanks for tips.

Regards,
NoXy

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
I need a little help, Like a lot o bikes my timing chain tensioner was producing some rattling sounds. Per a buddy of mine, he suggested that I take off the top nut and add a little motor oil to it, cause it is possible that the motor wasn't oiling itself suffiently enough. it really seemed to help out, problem solved.

I'm probably an idiot that don't understand your buddy's tip, but what did you actually lube? The bolt that's visible from the outside of the motor on the right hand side? I got the exact same problem as you had.