lubing cables

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
saw an old thread about it from Mikebike and didn't want to revive it.

I have to leave my bike outside and I live less than a mile away from the beach so i am concerned for the parts of my bike that require lubrication.
I bough this....Cycle Gear - MOTOBOSS Cable Luber: Cable Luber
and some lube...it came as a kit. works good. just unhook one end of the cable and put the thing on and spray until you see lube come out the other end of the cable. clutch felt great afterwards and much smoother.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
saw an old thread about it from Mikebike and didn't want to revive it.

I have to leave my bike outside and I live less than a mile away from the beach so i am concerned for the parts of my bike that require lubrication.
I bough this....Cycle Gear - MOTOBOSS Cable Luber: Cable Luber
and some lube...it came as a kit. works good. just unhook one end of the cable and put the thing on and spray until you see lube come out the other end of the cable. clutch felt great afterwards and much smoother.

That is too cool! Inexpensive too. What kind of lube are you using Doc, I see it comes with some, it is like a Triflow? :thumbup:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
That pic is not the exact brand name that i got but same concept. Mine came with lube that i cannot think of the name of it is in a green and yellow can. also the luber that i got has two thumb screws so it seems to me will have a better seal.

Note: if you do this cover the luber with a rag, it shoots out in all directions!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
definitely keep up on the lubing of cables, it will make them last a long time and if you don;t the clutch and such will get stiffer and stiffer until it starts breaking, then you are screwed

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I use Graphite Lock Lube for my cables. It's dark grey and messy, but works well and dosen't break down nor is it effected by tempature. I use it on my ignition too.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Doc - This thing is awesome! I picked one up at CG on the way home, took all of 5 mikes and the difference is night and day! I also adjusted the clutch and throttle cables, much less slop. Thanks again.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
also for the cables look at the opposite end and you should see it start to come out then you know you have used enough!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
also for the cables look at the opposite end and you should see it start to come out then you know you have used enough!

I have not looked but can you see the other end of the clutch cable? on my old bike it went inside the cover which was a pain in the ass to take off...

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah on the throttle side (you probobly know the part names better than me) you can see it just above the oil cap. little lever w/ a spring and the cable just behind.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have not looked but can you see the other end of the clutch cable? on my old bike it went inside the cover which was a pain in the ass to take off...

On 07 and up you can, right in top of the transmission. I sprayed the lube in for about 10 to 15 seconds and it ran out the other end. I can't emphasize how much better the clutch pull is now. Soooo much smoother and easier, and my bike only has 475 miles on it, 4 weeks old and is garaged.