First Service

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently passed 600 miles on my new bike, the manual says that it needs it's first service around then, is it really neccessary after just 600 miles? The oils is still fresh. Thoughts.......

W

wrightme43

Well the oil is fine, the little bits of metal you see in it are usually because the filter was full of little bits of metal, and has been in bypass mode for quite a while.
Yes it absolutely need it.
Go to the store and buy your favorite brand of NON I mean NON energy conserving oil and a filter. Change the oil.
Check your chain slack. 45-55mm. Mine is still fine at 2300 miles.
Clean and lube your chain. The more often you do this the longer your chain and sprokets will last.
I personally used Mobil extended service 20w50 and a pure one by purolator filter.
On the old bike I used Rotella T full synth 5w40 with a fram filter because purolator didnt make one for the bike. http://600riders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204 use the purolator pure one pl14610

Any good oil is fine as long as it doesnt say energy conserving. I use synth, in everything I own.
Here is why. http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

Both of these topics are in the FZ6 Technical section.

Basicly to boil it down, the oil is full of bits and pieces of transmission, and motor. You need to remove it, the bits and pieces, and filter.
I did mine at 250 miles, and switched to synth oil.
Check the rest of your bike too. Bolts loosen up, things change.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oil filter

Thanks for the tip, just wondering where would be the best place to to get that PL 14610? Would a regular auto parts store like Autozone carry it or do I need to go to a bike store? Also, once the oil is drained, approximately how many quartz of oil will it take to complete the change?

Thanks,

Vegasrider

W

wrightme43

Advance autoparts carries them in stock.
They also carry mobil oil. If you get three quarts you will be fine. Put in 2 and 3/4, start, run for 30 secs or so. Shut off, let it drain down, and fill to the upper middle of the crosshatched section. At least thats how I do things anyway.