Advanced Rider Training

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
I was wondering if any of you have done the Advanced Rider Training with either Ropsa or IAM. And which of the two is better?

Commuting into the jungle that is Central London, I want to have as much training as possible to be a safe rider. Next Sunday I will be going for a BikeSafe London dayout.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i did a track day and i am convinced that is the best way to learn how to ride better. I learned more in the 90 miles i did that day on the track than i did the previous 29,000 miles on the same bike. Now just have to do some track days on the FZ

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Hi,
I was wondering if any of you have done the Advanced Rider Training with either Ropsa or IAM. And which of the two is better?

Commuting into the jungle that is Central London, I want to have as much training as possible to be a safe rider. Next Sunday I will be going for a BikeSafe London dayout.

How was the BikeSafe day out? Worthwhile?

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
Bikesafe

Yes the Bikesafe was really worthwhile. The best bit I got was that I should not be changing my gears willy nilly.
So now I keep my bike in 2nd and 3rd gear for longer. I think he called it the throttle curve.
another thing was to plan well in advance of a hazard if known before hand of coz, like a round about, a bus etc

I was also told to dump the most of the stuff I learnt during my DAS which was meant to help me pass. The folks were forthright about the issue being one of survival.i.e. do as many life savers as you think are necessary not only just before you turn.

on the side, I also realised that Ace Cafe is just 10-15min ride from my place which is good. Ace Cafe is supposedly known all over as a bikers meeting point. There are guys who have some crazy bikes out there.

I will probably go for advanced training with Rospa.

bikerider

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i did a track day and i am convinced that is the best way to learn how to ride better. I learned more in the 90 miles i did that day on the track than i did the previous 29,000 miles on the same bike. Now just have to do some track days on the FZ

I wanna do a track day bad. Everybody is saying they learned so much and its fun.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wanna do a track day bad. Everybody is saying they learned so much and its fun.

I agree a track day will teach you a great deal. I've done them for both motorcycle and car. Just when I think I'm getting it the instructor will throw a curve at you. Very fun!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

hey bikerider - Have you checked out these guys? Texas Track Days :: Premire track day organization providing motorcycle enthusiasts the opportunity to ride the best tracks in Texas There are track days pretty much every other weekend all over the State. There is even one this weekend, but it might snow...

We should plan to do one or two this year.

I've driven on Cresson and Texas World Speedway. Cresson is my favorite, very challenging, but lots of run off and smooth pavement. Looks like there are some new tracks.

I also read in the Austin paper there is going to be a motorsports club west of Austin. The "greenies" are up in arms.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Ridesmart is another group that does track days at TWS and Cresson.
.:Welcome to RideSmart Motorcycle School:.

I've done both tracks and liked them.

TWS is great for high speed cornering practice and has that long NASCAR straightaway so you can see how fast your bike will go.

Cresson is tighter and twistier and will really challenge you to corner properly.

Fred

clunk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Visit site
I was wanting to to cresson next month if i can get all the gear by then. Suit and boots.
I was checking out this site. Lone Star Track Days ::: Motorcycle Track Days in Texas
Ill book mark that site to. Yeah any time you wanna go that would be cool or even ride around.
Thanks
Chris :Sport:

I'd be glad to join you two at one of these events, but I still have to get some riding time under my belt. Looks like the LSTD page recommends 12 mos, so I'll see you next fall? I took the MSF course, but I don't think that's a substitute for road experience.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did the IAM in a car and it was well worth the effort.

If I still lived in the UK I would do the IAM Bike as well. Not only do you learn a lot you also meet a lot of experienced guys who can help out with all sorts of things.

Steve

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
hey bikerider - Have you checked out these guys? Texas Track Days :: Premire track day organization providing motorcycle enthusiasts the opportunity to ride the best tracks in Texas There are track days pretty much every other weekend all over the State. There is even one this weekend, but it might snow...

We should plan to do one or two this year.

I've driven on Cresson and Texas World Speedway. Cresson is my favorite, very challenging, but lots of run off and smooth pavement. Looks like there are some new tracks.

I also read in the Austin paper there is going to be a motorsports club west of Austin. The "greenies" are up in arms.

I'll have to let you know when I'm in Austin next. Maybe we could meet up for a beer or something. I used to live there before I moved to the UK and my mom still lives in North Austin off 183.

I'd be nice to meet someone off the forum in the US.

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
Bike Safe

Bike safe have a show at Hendon Police college on 30th March which includes assessed rideouts

Metropolitan Police Service Bikesafe

And it'sfree !!!

Free is always nice. I did my Bike safe ride abt 2-3 weeks ago and I paid £30. And if I had gone for this free one. I'd have 30 quid to spend on some other bike stuff.

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think it's the full course but there is a bunch of other stuff on including try outs on other machines.
I'm going to pop in on the Sunday session and have a nose.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll have to let you know when I'm in Austin next. Maybe we could meet up for a beer or something. I used to live there before I moved to the UK and my mom still lives in North Austin off 183.

I'd be nice to meet someone off the forum in the US.

That would be way cool, I live near 183 and 360, any time just drop me a line.

MarkyG57

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi There

Just joined this site as I'm soon to get a S2. You should do a Bike Safe course, London Met Pol are running a taster the last weekend in March 2008 at Hendon. From this you will see the merits of getting advanced information to keep you alive on the road and not the track as the track is for racing!!!

As for doing IAM v ROSPA, that is your choice, visit their respective web sites, but at the vey least do a Bike Safe course, run in your area by PS Paul Moysten, who is great guy and from all his team you will learn a lot!!

Bike Safe and advanced riding not cool enough, just ask John Reynolds, see him at the THINK DFT site, he did it, so it its good enough for him, then it's good enough for anyone!

Or you can come and speak to me Mark at the Bike Safe stand at the Hendon show.. over to you???.

;)

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi There

Just joined this site as I'm soon to get a S2. You should do a Bike Safe course, London Met Pol are running a taster the last weekend in March 2008 at Hendon. From this you will see the merits of getting advanced information to keep you alive on the road and not the track as the track is for racing!!!

As for doing IAM v ROSPA, that is your choice, visit their respective web sites, but at the vey least do a Bike Safe course, run in your area by PS Paul Moysten, who is great guy and from all his team you will learn a lot!!

Bike Safe and advanced riding not cool enough, just ask John Reynolds, see him at the THINK DFT site, he did it, so it its good enough for him, then it's good enough for anyone!

Or you can come and speak to me Mark at the Bike Safe stand at the Hendon show.. over to you???.

;)

As posted earlier see you there:thumbup: