Tank removal

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
Forgive me if this has been posted, but in my search I found only a thread for partial gas tank removal, not one for complete removal and draining.

I will be taking the bike apart for painting, and need a how-to on complete tank removal and draining. I have gas in it now, so I also need to know if I need it nearly empty first. Also, if taking the fairing off first helps, let me know. That's coming off, too.

Thanks in advance.

New owner,
Joe

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Remove front 2 tank bolts, loosen-don't remove yet, rear bolt(under the ft seat). The lower the fuel level, the easier it is.

Raise the tank up/towards the rear of the bike and prop up tank (I use a piece of wood approx 10" long). Unplug fuel gauge harness and fuel pump harness from under the tank. Remove vent lines (inside the tank, towards the top). Remove the gas line (I believe it snaps downward and allows the line to come off the tank). The tank will NOT loose fuel (maybe a few drops) as it has cut off valve there. Remove the rear bolt from earlier, remove the tank.

Note: You can download a free shop manual here on the forum which would probably be a big help....

Scott

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
The only real options to completely empty the tank is to remove the gas cap, or fuel pump.. or ride it until you're pushing it home. Should be 5 or 6 hex bolts for either one. Remove the cap and keep flipping and rotating the tank upside down, it'll make a hell of a mess. Or same thing for the fuel pump. If you want to get some gas out I'd recommend a simple hand operated fluid syphon pump.. should be able to pick one up at any hardware store for ~$10.
Fluid Syphon Pump

You don't really need to empty the tank to paint it. Just get the fuel level pretty low and tape over the gas cap, fuel pump, and vent holes. Make absolutely sure you plug the fuel pump outlet, and the vent holes. Don't leave the vent holes plugged though if you leave gas in the tank. After you put your first coat on, remove the tape on the holes and let the tank breath. Put the tape back on before you next coat.