Le Mans

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondered if anyone is going. I'm hoping to head over and thought it would be nice if anyone wanted to hook up.

H

HavBlue

if i am not mistaken it is a 24 hour race. Correct?

Yes, this is a test of endurance over a 24 hour period. They all start together (roughly 50 cars) and the one who travels the most laps in that time wins. since 2000 the Audi R8 and R10 have pretty much dominated the race but then again, things have seemed to go this way traditionally whether is be Ferrari, Porsche, Ford, Audi or Jaguar. The race began in roughly 1923. The famous Mulsanne straight was 3 miles long (the track is public roads of 8 miles) but they put two chicanes in it around 1990 to reduce top speeds that were well over 210mph.

The race winner was originally determined by the total miles driven however, this was changed to laps completed after an incident around 1967 when two Ford GT40 cars slowed for a photo op at the finish line. Because the second car had actually started further back in the field when they came to the finish line together, it was determined the second car had actually gone about 30 feet farther awarding that team the win. Le Mans is also the place where the spraying of champagne rather than the drinking of champagne started. This is a balls out race that brings drivers, vehicles and crews together from all over the world and I can't wait for June.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, this is a test of endurance over a 24 hour period. They all start together (roughly 50 cars) and the one who travels the most laps in that time wins. since 2000 the Audi R8 and R10 have pretty much dominated the race but then again, things have seemed to go this way traditionally whether is be Ferrari, Porsche, Ford, Audi or Jaguar. The race began in roughly 1923. The famous Mulsanne straight was 3 miles long (the track is public roads of 8 miles) but they put two chicanes in it around 1990 to reduce top speeds that were well over 210mph.

The race winner was originally determined by the total miles driven however, this was changed to laps completed after an incident around 1967 when two Ford GT40 cars slowed for a photo op at the finish line. Because the second car had actually started further back in the field when they came to the finish line together, it was determined the second car had actually gone about 30 feet farther awarding that team the win. Le Mans is also the place where the spraying of champagne rather than the drinking of champagne started. This is a balls out race that brings drivers, vehicles and crews together from all over the world and I can't wait for June.

well said Havblue! Have you ever heard the r10 diesel in person? It is amazing how quiet it is and how fast it goes (compared to gas engines). unfortunatly i live nowhere near Lemans but i do go to "petit Le Mans" every year in sebring! Just to see audi smack everyone around! come on march........

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

very nice description! i think that speed might be a trade off for fuel economy, maybe the hybrid technology can assist in keeping the speed as well as the reduction of fuel stops.