Has anyone seen/used these handguards?

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking for some handgaurds for my '05 FZ6 to protect from wind, rain and cold on early morning rides. (like the ones on V-Stroms)
I searched on this forum and found some knuckle visors (?) that replace a part of the front fiarings around the light. But they run about $250 and am not sure how good they work since they dont follow the handlebar exactly! Anyobne has any experience with them?
I also found these at the ridegear site.

Search for handguard at RideGear.com Your Motorcycle Headquarters.

Price seems reasonable but am not sure
(1) if they mount on FZ6 properly. Some discussions on handguards claim that certain designs may restrict the handlebar turning.
(2) how effective are they and do they work?
Anyone with some experinece with these or others, I welcome your comments.

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
Someone has stated that the Suzuki part #57300-27822-291 works on the FZ6. It is a kit to fit DL1000 handgaurds on the DL650.

V Strom Hand Guard Set DL650 '04-'06

and the cheapest I could find them:

Indiana Suzuki Kawasaki Yamaha KTM Motorcycle ATV Dealer - Flat Out Motorcycles - Aprilia & Scooters

I plan on ordering it soon.

Thanks a bunch for the part number. I was looking for those. I like those, the only -ve is that those are black. Blue ones would have been nice.
In another post, I have listed some other ones I found and there are some which are blue. But I cannot tell if they would fit FZ6. Here is the link:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/motorcycle-news/2696-zeta-handguards-review-installation-tips.html

On another site 'HIghlands Yamaha' I found a list of quite a few of these also. Since they are on a Yamaha site, I am assuming they may fit offroad line but havent checked with that dealer yet to find out if they would fit FZ6 and how easy is the installation. Sometimes the installation kits may need additional stuff like longer screws etc. Here is the site if interested.

All Cannondale FX400 Controls Handguards, Grips, & Warmers at Highlands Yamaha

I will call the local dealer and inquire about ordering the Suzuki part as well.

Thank you again.

Last edited:

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
have you considered just heated grips, will not protect you from the cold but will overcome it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am not too keen on getting into the electrical mods and am not sure how much load it will cause. I already have additional load because I did the headlight mod.

Besides I am thinking I will still need wind protection. So I am going with the handguards first and then if needed I would look at heated grips.

OTOH, I will be interested in knowing a little more about heated grip installs. It may come in handy for my wife's bike. How hard/easy is it and how much load does it create?

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
Someone has stated that the Suzuki part #57300-27822-291 works on the FZ6. It is a kit to fit DL1000 handgaurds on the DL650.

V Strom Hand Guard Set DL650 '04-'06

and the cheapest I could find them:

Indiana Suzuki Kawasaki Yamaha KTM Motorcycle ATV Dealer - Flat Out Motorcycles - Aprilia & Scooters

I plan on ordering it soon.

I called the local dealer here and asked for this part number. He quoted me $57, a little on high side but not too bad. But he said it does not come with any mounting hardware. It will have to be ordered seperate. On the site that was listed earlier it indicated that all the muounting hardware comes with the kit. So I think he didnt know what he was talking about. I need to go up there and look up their catalog for ordering. (He coulldnt find the mounting kit anyway when I asked him to!!)

phxtravis

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, definately should double check him. It could be true, since it seems that part number has changed atleast once. I will try some sites and see if I can get some pictures or more details.

Help protect your hands from wind and road debris. Complete kit for adding DL1000 type hand guards to your 650. Easy Instalation.

Part #: 57300-27821-291

And this:
DL650 Hand Guards on a 600 Bandit - Page 2 - TWT Forums

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion.

I am not too keen on getting into the electrical mods and am not sure how much load it will cause. I already have additional load because I did the headlight mod.

Besides I am thinking I will still need wind protection. So I am going with the handguards first and then if needed I would look at heated grips.

OTOH, I will be interested in knowing a little more about heated grip installs. It may come in handy for my wife's bike. How hard/easy is it and how much load does it create?

I installed the hot hands grips on my wifes SV650 and they get hotter than a mother F-er when they are on high so i typically flip on and off by the switch while i am riding her bike and can keep them at a comfortable temperature. Her bike has never had any load issues and it runs both headlights on high and low beams. At idle it does make the lights a tiny bit dimmer but as soon as you get over 1200 RPMs it is normal again.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Good thing I read this thread twice before postings...
From all the links it looked like you were looking at running Bark Busters on your bike. That one link was showing a bunch of Pro-Taper, MSR and Acerabis stuff, I was thinking, um ok...lol.

However, my father has something similiar mounted on his Nomad, however they are clear and the mount via the mirror stud, if I am not mistaken. I can't quite remember where he got them from.
IMG_0158.jpg

These may not work, but just throwing another idea in the virtual hat here...

-bryan