First Rocket Ride

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just finished the break in period on my engine this morning on my ride to work. There is a 1/2 mile straight in front of where I work (very rural). I couldn't resist red-lining each gear all the way up to 120 mph. Having kept the bike at lower RPM since buying it, I was really surprised at how hard the bike pulls.

Let's hope that got it out of my system!!!

W

wrightme43

I understand. I think everybody has little squid in them. I tood mine up to 135 indicated on the very empty interstate. I know it was wrong, but damn it was fun.

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Rpm

Do you guys stay in lower gears to keep the RPM higher at lower speeds?

Like someone else on the forum pointed out - you really only need the first 2 gears if you plan to observe the speed limit.

What do you consider a good extended period riding RPM?

Thanks.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
Visit site
In normal riding I just go to 6th fast. I keep it in a lower gear in traffic so I can accelerate out of trouble if I need to. In traffic, I keep it at 5-6k at the lowest

W

wrightme43

+1 on OVFJR.

I keep it in 3-4 thru any towns or slower areas, 5-6 are just for rolling along or interstate to me. Second thru deals gap and on the twisty backroads around here.

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
I try to keep about 4000 to 6000 RPM ,up shift at 6000 and down shift at about 3800, just to keep enough torque on hand so I can get out of the way if need be. As for prolonged riding, any time I'm above 55 MPH it's in 6th gear and somebody said at 65 MPH their bike was running about 6500 RPM and that sounds about the same as my bike. With a 12000 useable RPM and 14000 redline 6 or 7 grand isn't hurting anything. These little motors love RPM's so don't be afraid to give it some.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This may be a daft question but I have always had it drummed into me to use the whole gear box. Some times I may be in 6th an just crusing at 30mph. My question really is whats the best balance between economical riding and usable rpm. The FZ6 will sit at 30 to 40 and not feel bogged down. I guess I could do some sort of random trial but if anyone has the answer even better.

W

wrightme43

Its back to what feels good to you.
I have another back up reason for lower gears in town and twisties. It is very easy to get sucked into going way to fast if the bike is quiet.
In 2-3 in town its loud, and easy to notice a change in speed/rpm.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone will have a different opinion when it comes to what gear feels good at what RPM. I dont look at my RPMs that much. I just make sure im not speeding too much and i make sure the throttle feels smooth and not jumpy. Plus, i figured i bought the FZ6 for comfort and useability. If i wanted something that would haul a** i would have bought an R1.