High Speed balancing?

enjoytheride

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently fitted the Michelin Pilot Road 2CT tires as replacements (front and rear) for my stock BT-020 tires. The Michelin are realy good confidence inpiring tires. The front has a slighlty more aggressive profile I think.

My problem is that I'm getting some front-end shaking/vibration from about 170kph. It evens out by 185kph or so...

My dealer who did the tyre install and balancing has told me that I need high speed balancing.

To make a long story short, has anyone run into this problem and why didn't it happen with the BT-020s ??

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like they are lazy. Make them re balance the tire or swap the tire. You bought a premium tire and it should not shake.

I bought the pilot power 2ct's and my front didn't even need any weights at all. Absolutely smooth at any speed.

enjoytheride

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the tires re-balanced already and its the same problem. That's when they suggested high-speed balancing.

Problem with replacing tire etc is time. I'm in Trinidad so any order/ shipment takes a while to get done, if ever.

I'll keep at them.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
The problem may not be the tires. Are you sure the wheels were installed correctly?
That was the first thing I thought of as well. Also, did they damage anything when they put the tire on? Like the wheel itself, a rotor, spacer, bearing?

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like they are lazy. Make them re balance the tire or swap the tire. You bought a premium tire and it should not shake.

I bought the pilot power 2ct's and my front didn't even need any weights at all. Absolutely smooth at any speed.

I had a buddy that used to mount and balance my tires with the No Mar system (which I just purchased) and he installed 4 sets of tires on my last bike and they needed little or no weights at all on them. Maybe I was just lucky on my tire purchases or something. That or the tire manufactures produce a much better product than from times past.

I'm thinking of purchasing the Dyna beads so the tires will stay balanced all the time. Because the balance does change as the tire wears. I know two M109 riders that use them and don't have one bad thing to say about that product.

Dyna Beads and Accessories

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking of purchasing the Dyna beads so the tires will stay balanced all the time. Because the balance does change as the tire wears. I know two M109 riders that use them and don't have one bad thing to say about that product.

Dyna Beads and Accessories

I'm using "Dyna Beads" on both my bikes and I can vouch for their effectiveness. Highly recommended...

FZ6-ZN

enjoytheride

Reaction score
Visit site
The problem may not be the tires. Are you sure the wheels were installed correctly?

Well as far as my untrained eye can tell, nothing was damaged. Trainied yamaha techs shouldnt be making mistakes that damage the bike but who knows?

Any ways, thanks to all who've replied. You confirmed my first guess that this problem is abnormal at least for the great FZ6.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Well as far as my untrained eye can tell, nothing was damaged. Trainied yamaha techs shouldnt be making mistakes that damage the bike but who knows?

Any ways, thanks to all who've replied. You confirmed my first guess that this problem is abnormal at least for the great FZ6.
If you can prop the front end up and spin the wheel, you may see something that doesn't look quite right. By doing so, you can look at the rotors, the outside edge of the tire, outside edge of the rim, and around the hub where the axle goes through. Maybe something will stand out. I recently bought a used rim (front)which I knew had issues. It would chatter only on left hand turns. Once I spun it and looked carefully, I could see a small wobble. The rim was actually slightly twisted. This was the result of the previous owner having a low side crash. But, I could see where a ham-fisted technician who tightens the wheel down to tight when changing the tire, could do something similar. Agreed, a trained tech shouldn't make that mistake, but.....
Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

enjoytheride

Reaction score
Visit site
If you can prop the front end up and spin the wheel, you may see something that doesn't look quite right. By doing so, you can look at the rotors, the outside edge of the tire, outside edge of the rim, and around the hub where the axle goes through. Maybe something will stand out. I recently bought a used rim (front)which I knew had issues. It would chatter only on left hand turns. Once I spun it and looked carefully, I could see a small wobble. The rim was actually slightly twisted. This was the result of the previous owner having a low side crash. But, I could see where a ham-fisted technician who tightens the wheel down to tight when changing the tire, could do something similar. Agreed, a trained tech shouldn't make that mistake, but.....
Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

I didn't see anything obviously wrong when I insepcted or even when another friend of mine had a look. I dropped the bike off at the dealer yesterday. I'll see what explanation he comes up with if the problem is actually solved in the end.