The Side Benefits of a New FZ6

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After buying the FZ a couple of weeks ago I realized I need to upgrade my work area a bit. I've raced bicycles for 25 years so I've always had a good set of tools, but the FZ was a good reason to go visit Sears. I picked up a new large toolbox, sockets, ratchets, screwdrivers, etc. I also installed new lighting in the garage so I can see what the heck I'm doing.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I went and got the long t-handle hex keys with the ball end, what a great investment!

Also, how did you do the lighting? my dad stole an idea from an automotive painter and installed flouresent lights in the walls so you got light around and under not just from above. when i get a worthy shop i will do the same

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I went and got the long t-handle hex keys with the ball end, what a great investment!

Also, how did you do the lighting? my dad stole an idea from an automotive painter and installed flouresent lights in the walls so you got light around and under not just from above. when i get a worthy shop i will do the same

That's a great idea on the lights. I went to Lowe's and bought 4 cold weather shop light and installed GE's T8 32W "Sunshine" bulbs. It is a nice bright light that is supposed to be similar to the noonday sun. I've got them set up in each quarter of the garage so the light is nice and even.

I love the long handle hex keys! What a great tool!

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the bar kind, the digital were $100!

I initialy bought the bar kind and after using it a few times went out and bought the clicker type. The bar type seems OK for large torque values, but not realy for low values... thing is you really need the 3/8 and the 1/2" drive models to get the full range... Sears ussually has them on sale from time to time... I still want the 1/2" (bought the 3/8 last sale)...

What range do those digital ones cover? $100 seems OK for a good one -the clicker one I bought was around $80 less 20 or 25%.

Last edited:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
C'mon folks, let's see some PHOTOS!! Tools inspire almost more gear lust in me than the "FZ-6 Show us your Baby!" thread!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Hellgate, your threads always put me in a good mood for some reason :thumbup:

I bought a bar-type t-wrench for $25 from sears...10 to 150 pound range. I sure wanted to get a $130 digital one but ****, I'm more worried about the big torque values than the small ones. You can kinda tell when you've sufficiently torqued down a banjo bolt at 12 pounds or so but when it comes to the rear swingarm pivot or the axles it's a different story.

I'll get a good one some day...

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
and if you didn't know you must calibrate them every once in a while.

After you're done with your wrench, be sure to back the torque setting off to 0. This will take the force off of the internal spring, which helps the wrench keep its calibration.

Also, don't use the torque wrench as a cheater bar to undo a stuck bolt. Pushing the wrench past the point where it clicks will mess up the calibration.

Fred