Kevlar Jeans

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm thinking about picking up some kevlar jeans for the spring riding season but I'm a little worried about durability. I wear blue jeans a lot, and I tend to burn through a pair every 6 months, and the appeal of kevlar jeans is that they could replace my non-kevlar pants on days that I ride my bike to work (almost everyday). This may seem odd asking about how much wear kevlar jeans can take, but from what I've seen it just looks like the kevlar is attached to the inside of the pants, not interwoven with the cotton. So does this mean that the outside material (the jean part) will wear just the same as normal jeans? If so I'd feel kind of bad buy $200 pants that I'm going wear out in 6 months or less. Has anyone on here bought a pair and what did you think? What brand/style?

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a pair for those brutally hot days that are made by icon. I've only worn then a dozen times and they still look new, but so would regular jeans for me after such a short time.

Ride Icon

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry I can't answer your original question but...

Why not just get a quality armour equipped leather/textile-hybrid overpant? You'll be better protected and will be able to just ditch them when you get to work. Oh and they will last a long time and cost between $100 and $200. $0.02

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
Good point Defy!

In my case, I started with textile armoured pants, then added the kevlar jeans, and finally my Joe Rocket Speedmaster leather pants...

In general, I find textile is great for rain and cold weather. I wear leather when I can, but there are a few occations, when I'll wear the kevlar pants to avoid having to change paints...

And jackets, if I buy one more my wife is going to kill me... Joe Rocket leather, textile armour, and mesh armour...

Buy the best gear you can afford and build up as you see sales...

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Shaggy, if I remember correctly you're even taller than I am. I just got a pair of "Slider" jeans from www.competitionaccesories.com . They come in up to 36" inseam (what I wear) and they're a bit long for me even. They were on sale for only $69, more than what normal jeans cost but a lot less than what you were quoting.
They fit great, and are well-made except the front button is sewn on rather than riveted as in Levis, it hasn't fallen off but I'm expecting it to sometime soon. They seem to be warmer than normal jeans so they're nice now in the winter, we'll see this next summer. Can't vouch for their wear quality yet as I've only ridden twice with them, otherwise I've been scooping snow!

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Why not just get a quality armour equipped leather/textile-hybrid overpant? You'll be better protected and will be able to just ditch them when you get to work. Oh and they will last a long time and cost between $100 and $200. $0.02

The bottom line is that I'm lazy. I use my bike for everything including short trips around town, and the less gear I have to wear, the less I have to take off and carry around with me when I'm not riding. In general I like to consolidate as many things as possible, so if I can get kevlar jeans that function as both jeans and riding pants, then it's a total win/win for me. I'm all about being as multifunctional as possible.

Thanks for the heads up, i'll check it out.

finboz

stealth browser
Reaction score
Visit site
i was looking at jeans too and the best ive found in the uk are hood jeans, there is an example of how they perform in a slide which you may find interesting.

hood jeans

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Amazing, that really put me over the edge. I just ordered a set of the sliders that botch pointed out. I'll be sure to do a proper review when I get them. Thanks for all the info guys.

dhole

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I have a kevlar and armalith jean (Estront technic model). It's great, the cut is modern, styled and durable, very comfortable. A stunt crew realised some realistic crash tests of this jean (you can check it out on their site )Film ESQUAD

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
very good information in this thread, i am in need of some leg protection ( I almost never wear my leather pants ) and have been looking at some over pants, would you all recommend the jeans instead? comfort? coolness in the summer?

dhole

Reaction score
Visit site
I strongly recommend it. High quality fabric. The jeans is made of coton and Armalith, So it looks like a jeans (in fact for the Estrong model it looks a bit like a Gstar jeans. The Estein is a bit more classic but very nice, but only gets armalith on the knees, rear, and sides. Estrong is 100% armalith and coton. It is very comfy and cool during hot days. There's any hard protection on the knees ("only" kevlar), so I wear under my jeans a Hot Summer Pants from Dainese. Its hardly visible and I am this way fully protected.

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought Draggin' Jeans (dragginjeans.com) about 7 months ago now. They fit me better than any jeans ever have. I wear them all the time, riding or not, and they have held up great. I think I paid about $110 for them. I also bought the removable knee pads they sell but have hardly used them. They velcro to the inside of the jeans. They are a pain to put in, hard to line up and annoying when you get off the bike and they drop down to your shins.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I purchased a pair of ICON Hooligan jeans last year and just LOVE them! I bought them from Sandhills Power Sports for $73.00 USD.

Hooligan_Denim.jpg

I did a 500km trip in them last summer of the very scenic Sunshine Coast/Vancouver Island out here in BC. I wore these pants for the whole trip as well as for most of my weekly commuting when the weather is nice. Here are my thoughts and impressions.

Features and Fit:

Double layer denim hip panel
Aramid® reinforced knees
Articulated knee panels
Unique Icon distressing
Zippered front pockets

They fit really nice and have very long leg sizes in order to keep your ankles covered whne in a seated riding position. I have short legs to begin with (30" inseam) so these are ridiculously long if I'm not wearing boots. Was thinking about getting them hemmed.

I find my Joe Rocket pants too hot in the summer so I don't wear them, but then give up on their protection. I bought these ICON's to help bridge this gap. Better than regular jeans with slightly more protection and double material in places, but not as warm or as padded as my JR pants. I think they are a good "in between" pant and better suited for summer riding.

They are very comfy and I love the "look" of them. I feel more comfotable and slightly better protected than just wearing regular jeans. The streatchy and somwhat vented inner thigh area is very nice! They never 'bunch up' and to get a nice breeze, just open your legs away from your tank for a few seconds!

They are comfortable to wear both riding and walking around in. An added bonus.

The only issue I had with them was the stiching around the button hole came undone after the first time I buttoned them. An hour later with a needle and thread and I had re-stiched the button hole myself.

Other than that, they seem to be a very comfortable pair of riding pants that look good on and off the bike and offer more protection than just regular jeans.

Last edited: