What's Up With All These Naked Bikes?

smartdumb

Reaction score
Visit site
I love 'em! I just finished converting my 2008 to the coveted "N" version. Just wanted to say thanks to this forum for providing a wealth of knowledge on how to get this done.

naked_01.jpg

naked_02.jpg

naked_03.jpg

naked_04.jpg

The most time consuming part of the conversion, besides waiting for parts, was rewiring the harness to get the low/high beam working on a single headlight (the BD43 threads helped a lot) and tapping a couple holes in the upper tree for the headlight stay. I was able to get the headlight, side covers, and mirrors used from ebay.co.uk. The headlight stay was purchased from Moorooka Yamaha in Australia. Miscellaneous screws and bolts were purchased in the US at boats.net (including the cluster cover) and bikebandit.com. I ended up going with CRG lane split mirrors (from Podium Superbike) and added a rizoma bar, grips, and bar ends (from PJ's Parts <--super service). Rattle can black paint completed the '08-look for the headlight and radiator sides.

These parts guides were invaluable:

2004 FZ6-N
2008 FZ6-N

The only thing left to do is figure out how to wire the small running light. If anyone can point me in the right direction on which wires to tap into it'd be greatly appreciated!

I'm super stoked on how the bike now looks and feels. It's an absolute pleasure to ride.

Last edited:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not a fan of bar end mirrors but overall it looks stunning. I like the bars and grips. Good job!

Interesting that your link showed a parts book for a N for South Africa, as it wasn't sold here. I have had my Fazer 5 and a half years and in all that time I have seen one naked.

darkrider

Reaction score
Visit site
The only thing left to do is figure out how to wire the small running light. If anyone can point me in the right direction on which wires to tap into it'd be greatly appreciated!

Bike looks really sweet!

Sorry for hi-jacking this post...Anyone know if BD43's headlight conversion, previously converted, will work without doing any more converting?

brufz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought my first 2008 FZ6 two months ago. I love this look! Is it possible to explain how you did this? This could be my winter project. Thanks. Jeff

hot4teach

Reaction score
Visit site

I'm super stoked on how the bike now looks and feels. It's an absolute pleasure to ride.

Looks great! What bars are those?

I believe the blue wire with red stripe is the running light.

smartdumb

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

I just bought my first 2008 FZ6 two months ago. I love this look! Is it possible to explain how you did this? This could be my winter project. Thanks. Jeff

After seeing pics in the streetfighter forum, especially wavex and victorb's conversions, I knew I wanted to go naked. I drooled when I saw the white FZ6N they offered overseas. This post on SBN pointed me in the right direction. Finding the parts was difficult. There are places that sell the conversion kit in the US but it is really expensive. When I found out it would cost $900-1000 to purchase a kit I pretty much gave up on the idea. Luckily, I stumbled across a used 04-06 FZ6N headlight assembly on ebay in London. The headlight, side pieces, and signals were identical to the 08, but the headlight stay was different due to the change in cluster design. I ended up purchasing a new stay from Moorooka in Australia (3 week delivery time).

I forgot to purchase the lower bracket that connects the stay to the lower triple and rather than waiting for a 5 week delivery period I ended up making a bracket out of aluminum which also worked well as a mount for the horn assembly. The stay requires you to tap 2 holes into your upper triple. There are already indentations where the holes should be.

Wiring involved trimming the excess length (5-6 inches) of the stock harness and merging the green wire from the low beam plug to the high beam plug.

As stated earlier I decided to go w/ bar end mirrors, but an alternative would be to purchase universal mirrors and bar mirror mounts. Rizoma makes some super sexy mirrors, but they come at a price. There is also a spot on the master cylinder where you can tap to accept a mirror, but you'll still need something for the clutch side, unless, you're one of the lucky ones able to score a FZ6N clutch lever.

Hope this helps. I'll try to post up some pics.

Last edited: