Rusted Chain

WulfpackFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I need some help,

My '07 FZ6 that I just got last summer already has a rusted chain. I live on a military base so I have no garage. While I was gone on deployment for a couple months someone stole my bike cover and left my bike out in the elements. Is there anyway to salvage the chain or do I need a new one? Thanks for your help. I've been reading the forum for a couple days now and you all seem like real helpful people.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Get yourself down the auto shop and buy a large can of WD40. Shake it for 5 minutes then coat your chain liberally.

The rust should disappear

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
DO NOT RIDE IT until you address the chain, best thing you can do is give it a good spray down with a penetrating lubricant to clean the chain (Hondalube works well for me) Spin the tire around with a good soaking of the lubricant on it to work it in.

(Of course you could take the chain off and soak it too.)

After you do that use a cleaner and a brush to clean the chain. Lube it very generously and then again after 1 ride to get it as clean and lubed as possible. This is the best i can come up with and will only work to an extent. if you can post pics of how far gone the chain is.

WulfpackFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's pretty far gone, but I'm a newbie. First motorcycle and all. I'll post pics up as soon as possible tomorrow afternoon. It's already too dark out right now. It's far too cold for me to ride right now so rest assured that the bike won't be used while this chain is rusted. Thanks for all the help.

M

Magseal

when you do get it cleaned, look at the links closely, and if there is any pitting. if you can see the pits by naked eye, consider scrapping it....pitting corrosion can go deeper than it appears. the end result can be a link that developes a crack over time.

my chain got rusted once...got home at midnight after riding in the rain, negelected to take care of it that night, and the rust started. it wasn't bad, just a wire brushing and better care and it's still on the bike.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Taking the chain off the bike requires removing the swingarm, does it not?

when you do get it cleaned, look at the links closely, and if there is any pitting. if you can see the pits by naked eye, consider scrapping it....pitting corrosion can go deeper than it appears. the end result can be a link that developes a crack over time.

+1

If it's purely surface rust I would scrub it down with a stiff brush and kerosene (per the manual) and then wipe it off really well and lube it. Make sure you clean up and inspect your sprockets as well.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Taking the chain off the bike requires removing the swingarm, does it not?
If it's purely surface rust I would scrub it down with a stiff brush and kerosene (per the manual) and then wipe it off really well and lube it. Make sure you clean up and inspect your sprockets as well.

+1 This is exactly how I would deal with the surface rust, it's not anything to really fret about. However, the first 300-500 miles after you deal with this will be an important indicator.

Measure your chain freeplay after you clean and re-lube but BEFORE you ride it again. If you find that the chain gets very loose AND it starts to throw red rust from between the rollers it will be a sign of pin/bushing damage, and you will need to replace it.

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
If the chain was to break, you risk injury to yourself or others and damage to the engine covers etc... why not just buy a new chain to be safe...?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
that chain definately looks bad but not horrid, i might replace it and keep this one (after cleaning it while off the bike) lubed and in a safe spot for emergency use, all it will take to put back on is a new master link.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
man that sux wulfpack! you figure that other military members would have more respect for your stuff. But a theif is a thief, good thing they didn't get the bike. Do you have any friends whose wives will be home during you deployments? see if you can store your stuff there. thats what i always did.........................but then she moved my car and dented it! after you clean the chain post up a pic and let's see how she turned out.