Front Tyre Issues Part 2 (Maxxis Tyre Problem?)

von_trippenhopf

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, this is looking slightly more serious :eek:
If you've seen my previous post you'll know I had some handling issues with the Maxxis Supermaxx on the front of my 2004 Fz6N.
The rear tyre is a Dunlop sportmax and I thought the funny wear patterns on the front tyre might be because the two tyres weren't compatable, so I posted some pics and had lots of helpful replies.
I have not been able to change the tyre yet, so I have been checking the tyres regularly, the attached pics show what I found today :eek: :eek:
The bike didn't 'feel' right going round slow speed right turns, especially in the wet, and these splits are only on the right side of the tyre.
Now it is obvious that the tyre is shot and I've got to replace it, but has anybody else had this sort of problem?
These cracks/splits have appeared, or at least become more visable, within the last 100 miles, and maybe I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't been a little paranoid about the tyre and checked it after every ride.
Be careful out there people, check your bikes every trip, you never know what you might find!

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have seen many tires cracked, dry rot, etc. I have never seen any with lines that straight and perfect especially where yours are. To be honest it looks like someone went after it with a knife....... that would also explain why its only one the one side and in so many places.

This is what I usually see:
rav_spare_crack01.jpg

von_trippenhopf

Reaction score
Visit site
That does not look good! How many miles are on that tire? What's your history with it..... routine checks on inflation, etc?

The tyres were on the bike when I bought it a couple of months ago, so I can't be sure of the history other than they've got plenty of tread on them so are probably not that old. The bike had signs of recent use & current road tax when I bought it so I don't think it had been left standing with low pressure either. :confused:

I also thought they might be slash marks from a knife too but they are around the whole circumference of the tyre and some of them are slightly zig-zag, more like a split. I haven't really left the bike anywhere out of my sight either, apart from under cover in my garden so there hasn't been much opportunity for vandalism.

I keep going back to the odd wear pattern on the tread, the compound at the edges of the tyre seem to be quite soft, like a dual compound tyre, but I don't think these are supposed to be. Very odd!

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
Dude serious, replace the tire ... fast.

My guess is that they are the rubber is gone "bad".
Check the DOT numer and see how old they are.

Tires are so important for your safety!
The dumbest thing is to save cost on them.

Last edited:

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
I have one crack a bit like that on my rear tyre, but not as deep - more like a scratch from the centre out. I'll try and take a pic tomorrow.

But what you have there really don't look too healthy.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Just so I'm up to speed.... what year is the bike, and what is the odometer reading?

Is the mileage on the bike in the 'normal use' range? If it's too low, it may have sat for an extended period, and recently been returned to road use.... tires do become brittle with age. Exposure to ozone (electric motors) and sunshine will get the surface rubber to start degrading.

As you have mentioned the brands of tires are different; I'd guess the front was worn out and replaced, and the rear was left on the bike due to the depth of tread remaining.... is the rear tire the OEM installation?

von_trippenhopf

Reaction score
Visit site
Dude serious, replace the tire ... fast.
My guess is that they are the rubber is gone "bad".
Check the DOT numer and see how old they are.

Don't worry, the bike is going nowhere until the tyre is changed! :eek:

I hadn't thought of checking the DOT number, I'm not sure how to 'de-code' it.
Anyway, this is what is written on the tyre..........

DOT UYXI 1607 26047 662A

RJ2112, it's a 2004 Fz6N with 14000 miles, I think the rear tyre is newer than the front.

Thanks for your comments folks! :thumbup:

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
14K miles on a (effectively) 6 year old bike is fairly low mileage.... something between 2 and 3,000 miles a year, if it was in continuous use. (My normal useage is more like 7-8K/yr, in a climate similar to southern England) It's a pretty good bet the bike sat at some point in storage, whether that was in a garage, or a shed, or on a porch step.

I poked around on the Maxxis website (Tire School), and found the de-coding ring for the UYXI1607:

UY = code for manufacturing site
XI = code for tire size
1607 = 16th week of 2007

That tire is nearly 3 years old.... I'm somewhat surprised it's got issues. I know Maxxis is a less expensive brand of tire -- this may be a case of you're getting what the previous owner paid for.

If the tires are funky, it's probably a good idea to check on the other routine maintenance items..... the brake fluid should have been flushed once a year, and the fork oil should also be fluhed and replaced at least once or twice. The fork's action will become more vague with 'bad' oil.

If you look in the sight glass on the front brake resivoir and there is colo(u)r to the fluid... it needs to be replaced. The rear brake res is easier to view.... if it looks like a urine sample, it's past it's prime. Flush them both, for the peace of mind.

Engine coolant, I'm not as worried about.... air filter should be checked, and if you don't know when the date of the last oil change, do so now.

von_trippenhopf

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the receipts for oil & filter within the last 1000 miles.
As for the brake fluid, I noticed as I was spinning the front wheel to check the tyre that the calipers were binding slightly so I guess I'll be stripping & cleaning the brakes and changing the fluid anyway.
I changed the fork oil on my previous bike, a job I'd never bothered with before, and it made quite a difference, so I might do that whilst I'm fiddling around with the front end.
The weather is starting to get cold & damp over here so I won't miss riding for a few days while I do the work!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
The naked bike has about 30 lbs less weight on the front wheel than the faired version does.... I'm guessing the OEM fork springs will probably be more suitable in that condition. I had the OEM valving changed, went to straight rate .9 Kg springs, and heavier fork oil all in one fell swoop (along with an Ohlins rear shock).... the difference in the 'feel' of the front end was substantial.

Now, when I work the front end hard, there is much more suspension travel available. I don't touch things down any more. Under hard progressive braking, the fork is very well behaved... I can tell how hard I am on the brakes, by how much 'dive' I get. With the progressive springs in there, it just sort of collapsed as soon as I touched the lever.

Between the springs, and the fresh fluid there is a very noticable improvement in front end feel.

von_trippenhopf

Reaction score
Visit site
Front tyre : DONE :thumbup:
Calipers : DONE :thumbup:
Brake Fluid : DONE :thumbup:

Fork oil & air filter are on the 'To Do' list.

Now I just wish it would stop raining long enough for me to scrub in that new front tyre! :rolleyes: