Galfer Brake Line Install

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The brakes on the 07 FZ6 are wonderful! I've never owned a bike before with 4 pot calipers. All of my other bike have been single pot, 20 years ago 2 pot were trick and 4 pot was only for factory bikes.

The stock brakes have a good feel but as with any rubber lined brake they are a bit mushy and don't have a good inital bite. The simple solution is stainless steel brake lines.

I bought the Galfer's as they had two features I liked; 1) they are rubber coated so they don't scratch paint, 2) they convert the brake from a single line with a crossover, to dual, even length lines. The dual line set up allows both calipers to grab at the same time instead of waiting for the left to grab then the right. Granted this happens in a micro-second but it adds to mush.

The install took about 90 minutes. I won't bore you with the details of my wife pumping the brake for 90 minutes. Just buy a Mity Vac and be happy!

The photos show the dual line off the master cylinder and the high quality fittings.

The brakes have much, much better initial bite, they are very firm, no mush at all and you can one finger it you want to.

The rear line is on the way hopefully the rear brake will be ready to go for the weekend.

Pete

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The brakes on the 07 FZ6 are wonderful! I've never owned a bike before with 4 pot calipers. All of my other bike have been single pot, 20 years ago 2 pot were trick and 4 pot was only for factory bikes.

The stock brakes have a good feel but as with any rubber lined brake they are a bit mushy and don't have a good inital bite. The simple solution is stainless steel brake lines.

I bought the Galfer's as they had two features I liked; 1) they are rubber coated so they don't scratch paint, 2) they convert the brake from a single line with a crossover, to dual, even length lines. The dual line set up allows both calipers to grab at the same time instead of waiting for the left to grab then the right. Granted this happens in a micro-second but it adds to mush.

The install took about 90 minutes. I won't bore you with the details of my wife pumping the brake for 90 minutes. Just buy a Mity Vac and be happy!

The photos show the dual line off the master cylinder and the high quality fittings.

The brakes have much, much better initial bite, they are very firm, no mush at all and you can one finger it you want to.

The rear line is on the way hopefully the rear brake will be ready to go for the weekend.

Pete
They look very good indeed.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great stuff.:thumbup:

I believe thats how the racers have their brake lines rather than a single line from the master down one side then across. They do as you have with two from the master to each side.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
lookin good, Top!

do they actually amount to shorter 60-0 distance or just better "feel"

I put russel stainless braided on my car and that was the case better "feel" not better stops.

how much did they cost you? They may be worth it just for the "bling factor"

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
lookin good, Top!

do they actually amount to shorter 60-0 distance or just better "feel"

I put russel stainless braided on my car and that was the case better "feel" not better stops.

how much did they cost you? They may be worth it just for the "bling factor"

Thanks Doc! They improve feel which I would guess would help with a shorter stop, maybe??? Better feel = more control???

When I first tried them out I was surprised at how quick they bit! It took me off guard.

The front kit was about $102.00, the rear kit is about $45.00.

All of my motorcycles and about half of my cars have had Russel lines, they really make a big difference on the feel of the brakes. :thumbup:

With the Galfer kits you can choose from about a dozen different colors, clear, black, blue, red, even pink - if you are so inclined...

Pete

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Those look really good.

I run SS lines w/ EBC HH pads...the results have been great. What I really want is a radial mount brake LEVER like on the post 2004 R6...but they are expensive (time to check eBay).

Whatever you do, don't over-torque those banjo bolts!

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Those look really good.

I run SS lines w/ EBC HH pads...the results have been great. What I really want is a radial mount brake LEVER like on the post 2004 R6...but they are expensive (time to check eBay).

Whatever you do, don't over-torque those banjo bolts!

defy, as a racer how did you set yours up? single w/split or two separate lines like hellgate?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Doc! They improve feel which I would guess would help with a shorter stop, maybe??? Better feel = more control???

When I first tried them out I was surprised at how quick they bit! It took me off guard.

Better feel allows you to maxamize braking power without going over the edge. Braking on bikes is a more delicate undertaking than it is on cars...that's for sure.

I'd be willing to bet much of the difference you felt was attributable to the fresh fluid and freshly bled lines.

defy, as a racer how did you set yours up? single w/split or two separate lines like hellgate?

I'm not a racer, far from it. I'm just a track day whore.

I've never seen an aftermarket SS line kit for any bike that came "single w/split" but that does not mean they don't exist. So mine are run with separate lines which is fine by me.

With regard to the rear, an SS line would look a lot nicer for sure but I'll run my OEM line until it really needs replacement....no lack of braking power out back.

Last edited:

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you happen to have the part numbers you used. I want to order a set and don't want to screw it up.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you happen to have the part numbers you used. I want to order a set and don't want to screw it up.

Sure. Galfer has two p/ns for the FZ6, 04 to 06 and 07/08.

04 to 06 Frt - FK003D431
Rr - FK003D431R

07 to 08 Frt - FK003D585
Rr - FK003D585R

Good luck!

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Your point is right about the dual lines. My stock brake pads have variable wear. One half is more worn than the other.

Last edited:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent thread and quality find ... I actually think my stock brakes are pretty solid but any extra stopping power has to be good :)

:thumbup: nice one.

Kakashi

Reaction score
The Mecca of of insane drivers, Orlando,FL
Visit site
The calipers heat up fast especially the front under heavy braking causing the brake fluid to heat up. The stock lines expand from the heat and being under pressure, I belive this is called brake fade. The briaded stainless lines don't allow the innner liner to expand therefore transferring all the pressure when you grab the lever to the calipers. HH is and grade of brake pads

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent thread and quality find ... I actually think my stock brakes are pretty solid but any extra stopping power has to be good :)

:thumbup: nice one.

JONAC with yet ANOTHER killer avatar! :rockon: