Naked with an 8-Ball light

clsfly

clsfly
Reaction score
www.gmsaxis.com
I pretty much have my winter project done with time to ride before it snows! This is a 2006 FZ6 with a 2009 Victory 8-Ball headlight and custom paint (True Red), Tech Spec tank pads.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What the story with your instrument cluster???

Nice headlight by the way...very oldschool.

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
got it parked on the handlebars until I get a better idea, used a bar clamp for a mirror to hold it in place. It doesn't vibrate and I can see it.

Just looks a bit weird too me.....i sortga like it, but it is sorta sticking up in the air a bit.....is there a reason why you can not sit it where it normally goes???

clsfly

clsfly
Reaction score
www.gmsaxis.com
I agree waiting on brackets so I can mount the light to the forks, then fab a bracket to get it off the bars. Can't move it down since the light is stationary and the forks will be hitting it, engineering on the fly!

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
That's cool! Round headlights always look the best on a motorcycle, IMHO. I don't think I've ever seen it on the FZ6, although I've always wondered what it would look like. Now I know: it looks great!

MattyA

Reaction score
Visit site
nice work , but it dont like it. the lack of round headlight was the one of the reasons i got the fz6.

Each to their own and it looks like you have done a good job making it all work.

clsfly

clsfly
Reaction score
www.gmsaxis.com
would like to find the enclosure to go on the back of the instrument cluster to hide the wires, (like the FZ6N has), I really don't want a flyscreen but may have to use one to hide the back of the cluster

clsfly

clsfly
Reaction score
www.gmsaxis.com
Just got my FZ6 back from the dealer after some minor repairs, new side cowl and instrument cluster, I broke them trying to get the bike off of me after a run in with the road demon (gravel), broke my leg in several places, will be off the leg for 3 months. Bike made out better than I did.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
That's cool! Round headlights always look the best on a motorcycle, IMHO. I don't think I've ever seen it on the FZ6, although I've always wondered what it would look like. Now I know: it looks great!

Yep, I agree round headlights look cool in general.

The only thing I`d do is relocate the speedo and drop that headlight down on the forks a few inches... but that's just me.

Here is another FZ6 with round headlight (one of my favorite naked ever, and the one which inspired me to go naked...) good old Steelbilly's FZ:

2402827494_1575c657b6_o.jpg

clsfly

clsfly
Reaction score
www.gmsaxis.com
Thanks....I'm healing just not walking yet, looks like another month before I can put weight on my leg. That is a cool pix of the FZ6 and the round light. I've got new brackets to lower the light and a attach to the forks, also got a new bracket and instrument cluster that puts it lower.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the look of the round light,but I think it's a little too big.
It will probably look different when the mounting's sorted though.
Hope the legs healing well fella.

clsfly

clsfly
Reaction score
www.gmsaxis.com
Ditched the 7" light for a 5 3/4" more managable, the ol leg is still healing haven't been able to ride yet. Just got off crutches after 6 long months. May have to sell :(

Attachments

• FZ6_LLside.JPG
    FZ6_LLside.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 33
  • FZ6_front.JPG
    FZ6_front.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 36

Extremity

Junior Mint
Reaction score
www.echoplaneonline.com
Ditched the 7" light for a 5 3/4" more managable, the ol leg is still healing haven't been able to ride yet. Just got off crutches after 6 long months. May have to sell :(

Nah, don't sell it. I was in the same boat as you - completely snapped my leg in half after a business meeting with some gravel in a tight turn.

Same deal. Couldn't walk for 3 months, crutches for so long that my arms hurt, and even when you start walking it's at least a month and a half before you are even comfortable and start not thinking about it all the time. Did you get a rod through the leg? That's what i had, a rod and 6 pins. Anyways, as soon as I was able to ride I did, and now I'm back to riding every day like nothing happened, not bad considering this only happened in October of last year.

Just be careful. Take it easy for the first 3-5 months of riding, you don't want to put yourself into a situation where you have to catch the bike with the messed up leg because it WILL give out on you. Prepare for your knee and ankle to be messed up for the rest of your life, whether they were involved in the break or not. Wear a knee brace, whether you think your knee was effected or not. The next best piece of advice I can offer is wear a pair of boots that gives your ankle a LOT of support. Bones will heal and the rod will support them, the things that're going to give you **** are your joints. Be safe, eat well, and you will heal faster. I was back up and walking a month ahead of schedule. Don't give up on the bike, because you've made it pretty clear that she didn't give up on you :thumbup:

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
looks are subjective, but i dont like 'single eye' headlights, especially if its round.

if i liked them, i probably wont even change to a fz6 in the first place. i was riding a honda cb400sf hyper vtec.

the cb400 series is very reliable, parts are easily available (throw a stone, you are likely to hit 1 super4 on the roads here, every public car park will have 1 as well), powerful enough for commuting here, but i just dont like the headlights.

no offense to anyone. :BLAA:

Extremity

Junior Mint
Reaction score
www.echoplaneonline.com
It looks great, but +1 to not liking the style. Maybe I'm too young but it looks too "old school" to me and just doesn't match the style of the bike. Your install is very clean and aside from my personal opinion looks great, though, glad you got what you were looking for!

no1GhostFL

Reaction score
Visit site
Damn brother, thats really rought to hear about your leg :(
Why did you choose to go from the 8ball to 5 3/4"? The 8 ball looks intense on there! I plan on doing the same to my 2004. Would you mind posting a list of the parts you used for the instrument mount/light mount/light?

Hopefully the conversion goes well with my little ol' fz6 :)