Another FZ6N is born!

fzinger

Urban Cowboy
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys and gals,

Just wanted to post a couple pics of my baby. Complete FZ1N headlight install as well as Race Tech .95 springs, 15W oil, etc. Finally finished her up about a week ago and couldn't be happier!

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

As you can see in the following pics, I used some 1/4" aluminum stock to fab the bottom bracket as well as a top bracket that mounts where the throttle cable guide bolted up under the top triple clamp. Took some time to find the right length and types of spacers, but the extra rigidity of the headlight assembly is worth it.

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

I'm pretty proud of her. I know there's some really sweet custom bikes out there with a lot more work in them than mine, but I prefer a more stock looking install with the FZ1 parts of course. I got them from Burlington Yamaha.

Big thanks to posts from all of you on 600riders.com for great pics and help mounting this up. :thumbup:

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very clean looking work! Looks sharp.:thumbup: Is the paint factory? Looks like it has orange metal flake in the pictures.

fzinger

Urban Cowboy
Reaction score
Visit site
No, the paint is the factory Candy Red. I guess the light is making it look a little orange. Still trying to figure out my new digital camera. :rolleyes:

hot4teach

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great. I'm doing the same thing with the bracket on the top. Would you mind taking a pic directly from the left side? I'm curious how your clutch cable is routed and if it pushes out on the light when you turn all the way to the left.

fzinger

Urban Cowboy
Reaction score
Visit site
Shiny shiny. Looks good - like it came out of the factory like that!

What seat do you have? It doesn't look the 2007, or 2008 seat? Kinda like a combination! :)2006, 2007, 2008 S2.

It's the factory Yamaha factory "comfort" gel seat. Comes standard on the '09 model IIRC. I really like the way it looks and feels compared to stock.

fzinger

Urban Cowboy
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great. I'm doing the same thing with the bracket on the top. Would you mind taking a pic directly from the left side? I'm curious how your clutch cable is routed and if it pushes out on the light when you turn all the way to the left.

Sure thing! It'll probably be this weekend before I can do so. Got a newborn at home and he keeps me pretty busy.

The upper bracket is worth the time to fabricate. I tried zip-ties and was unhappy with the results. Didn't hold the top as tightly as I would like.

I had the same problem with the clutch cable routing. Trial and error as to how to snake it thru the headlight stay will give the best results. It doesn't push the headlight assy out anymore with the upper bracket installed.

One thing to watch for: I reused a factory M6 bolt for attaching the bracket to the upper triple clamp. I was off by about 1/4", and resulted in pulling shards of aluminum out of the hole when I tightened the bolt up. I was able to save it with the correct length bolt and loctite. Make sure you're using ALL of the available thread length!

Next time I have to remove the headlight assy for bulb replacement, I'm going to measure both brackets and post diagrams for anyone wanting to duplicate them.

hot4teach

Reaction score
Visit site
Sure thing! It'll probably be this weekend before I can do so. Got a newborn at home and he keeps me pretty busy.

The upper bracket is worth the time to fabricate. I tried zip-ties and was unhappy with the results. Didn't hold the top as tightly as I would like.

I had the same problem with the clutch cable routing. Trial and error as to how to snake it thru the headlight stay will give the best results. It doesn't push the headlight assy out anymore with the upper bracket installed.

One thing to watch for: I reused a factory M6 bolt for attaching the bracket to the upper triple clamp. I was off by about 1/4", and resulted in pulling shards of aluminum out of the hole when I tightened the bolt up. I was able to save it with the correct length bolt and loctite. Make sure you're using ALL of the available thread length!

Next time I have to remove the headlight assy for bulb replacement, I'm going to measure both brackets and post diagrams for anyone wanting to duplicate them.

Cool thanks for the advice. I would love to see a close up of the clutch cable routing.