What type of screen for taller rider?

DanG

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm interested to hear peoples' opinions and experiences on this. I'm 6'1" and get a lot of air buffeting my head on my 2004 FZ6. My Shoei helmet has an air-intake on the top that seems to be in totally the wrong place and creates a lot of wind noise - when I tilt my head back, the noise diminishes. So I'm looking to purchasing a new screen.

The question is: what's best for deflecting air to above your helmet - longer, flip-up or double-bubble screens?

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
Same here. I was hoping someone would have at least clipons that can be added on the existing screen to make it taller/wider. But havent found any. I have an '05.
The design of the windshield is so integral with the fairing on '04-'06 that I havent seen too many aftermarket products. Thats why I was searching for someone at least selling clip-ons.
If you find any, please let me know.

phxtravis

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'3" and I just ordered the Puig dark smoke racing version, if interested I will provide feedback once I recieve it.

JohnTex

Reaction score
Visit site
I *hopefully* have a Puig double bubble race on the way for my '07. I'm 6'1 and will post differences on that one once I ride with it.

I say *hopefully* because they have sent me an 04-06 version, twice!

bike10

Reaction score
Visit site
Tall Screen

Do you really need it?????????
The reason why i ask, is that i wanted a taller screen to reduce the amount of wind on me, thus reducing wind noise(i have hearing loss from wind noise)(didn't wear ear plugs for the first 19 years). my Taller screen will be quieter, right?. WRONG! it is now the low end(like a woofer) wind noise instead of the high pitched wind noise i get. spent big bucs on a shoei specificaly for wind noise reduction and my ducati monster(no wind screen) is quieter to ride on than my 6" taller Gustaffeson screen on my fz6. i even added a Laminar Lip. Nope! still bad! both ways you'll have noise, being out in the wind is quieter.

so depending on what your reason, you may not want one. unless you get a clear 12" taller one and sit behind it.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Another 6'3" rider here...I hated the Tall Yamaha screen that came w/ my bike (too much buffeting at speed...it kiled my neck after about an hour)...I loved my Puig double bubble. Your results may vary!

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
OK, you all are going to hate me for this, but it needs to be said.

The best solution for buffeting on an 06 and earlier is to trade in on an 07 or later.
I got to test ride an 06 before I bought the 07 and had significantly more buffeting on the 06. On the 07 my head's still at the interface between still air and moving air, but it's a smooth interface thanks to the scoop below the windscreen.

You may be able to cut out a similar vent on your stock windscreen to lessen the buffeting. The results may be similar. If you're going to replace the windscreen anyway, it's worth a shot.

Fred

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Have any of you taller riders tried the Laminar windscreen lip on any of your windscreens?

Laminar Products for Yamaha FZ-6

They are an interesting design and looks not too bad. Just curious how well they perform. I'm 'vertically challanged' so I don't need one and my PUIG does the job for me.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have any of you taller riders tried the Laminar windscreen lip on any of your windscreens?

Laminar Products for Yamaha FZ-6

They are an interesting design and looks not too bad. Just curious how well they perform. I'm 'vertically challanged' so I don't need one and my PUIG does the job for me.

A good friend of mine (about 6' 3") had a Laminarlip for about 3 years on his FJ1100 he didn't particularly like the look but found that it worked well for him.

I'm presently looking into either a MRA variable windscreen for the FZ6 Bike Design Benelux - Online Shop for Motorcycle Components and Accessories

Or a seperate add on spoiler Bike Design Benelux - Online Shop for Motorcycle Components and Accessories which I'm thinking of adding to my touring windscreen, but I would like to see a picture on a FZ6, or at least see the product before I order.

jspoon

Reaction score
Visit site
I did a search and could not find any opinions on the yamaha aftermarket taller windscreen, anyone tried one?
jspoon