Akrapovic Exhaust Install

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had my FZ6 a whole two days and decided it really needed an exhaust. To me the stock plastic exhaust shroud was too ugly and there was little character to the exhaust note, the performance of the bike is fine. I wasn't looking for more hp. I started looking into different brands and most are pretty loud. I love the sound of the Devil Carbon but I don't think I could live with it. The dudes my local Cycle Gear shop recommended the Akrapovic SP. It has mufflers that meet EOM sound requirements, even comes with a TUV aftermarket certificate stating so. It is also designed to work with stock fuel mixture settings, no over scavaging. The cool thing is that with a few spins of the wrench the DB Killers can be pulled out (a nice throaty note is the result) and the back pressure cone can be removed to increase flow if ever needed. So bottomline it's a quiet, tunable exhaust. The system is Ti and SS. The machining and welding is first rate, and the fit was perfect, no tweaking, bending, mangling required.

The install was easy, I used H8 PVMT's body work removal steps, big help, took about 90 minutes start to finish.

Attached are removal images and the muffler. BTW...the stock muffler weights 12.1 lbs! I didn't weight the Akro but it is much less, 4 to 5 less maybe?

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The kit included a stainless steel "I" bracket to hang the fender assembly from and bolt the carbon fiber muffler straps into. Everything aligned perfectly. Also included is an hourglass shaped Ti "cone". This inserts between the CAT pipe and the beginning of the muffler pipe. There is a flange that holds it in place. The hourglass is used to create the correct amount of back preassure to off the the increased flow of the mufflers.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the system installed and the body work back together. :D

Pete

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As promised here's a vid of the system with db killers and without.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM0HFwWiemo"]YouTube - Akrapovic Exhaust FZ6 Fazer[/ame]

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
she sure sounds purrty. I'm still on the fence with either TwoBros or Akropovic. Which one sounds more throatier??(is that right?). I like more low end vroomm if you know what i mean.

chiller

Reaction score
Visit site
hey nice ! does anyone know if akra's work with givi top rack without modding a bracket? i know from research devils don't and someone mentioned somewhere leos do...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
she sure sounds purrty. I'm still on the fence with either TwoBros or Akropovic. Which one sounds more throatier??(is that right?). I like more low end vroomm if you know what i mean.

Dunno brother. Without the db killer the Arko sounds very deep. I haven't heard the 2Bro in person to tell you the difference. I can tell you that people who do own 2Bros have told me it is too loud at times for them.

schumacher62

Reaction score
Visit site
hey nice ! does anyone know if akra's work with givi top rack without modding a bracket? i know from research devils don't and someone mentioned somewhere leos do...

very nice sound, and great looking exhaust! i too would like to know if anyone knows about the givi mounting hardware and after market exhausts. i want both, and would get the exhaust which works most easily with a potential givi rack...anyone know?

i too like the 2bros exhaust in the shape of yours, che c-2 model. its awfully pretty. i am not wild about the end cut of the black carbon m-2 2bros, but i know many guys are and i appreciate that.

any word on the givi and aftermarket exhaust let me know! great job on your blue 07...

H

HavBlue

Pete, you are awesome man. After watching the first video I saw a second on the bottom of the screen just to the right that had the Akro exhaust and subframe exposed. They say a picture is worth 1,000 words and trust me, that thing told a whole book. I now know a 12"X1 3/4" glasspack will work. I can't wait for warmer weather cause I'm gonna light this 4 banger right up.....

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pete, you are awesome man. After watching the first video I saw a second on the bottom of the screen just to the right that had the Akro exhaust and subframe exposed. They say a picture is worth 1,000 words and trust me, that thing told a whole book. I now know a 12"X1 3/4" glasspack will work. I can't wait for warmer weather cause I'm gonna light this 4 banger right up.....

I can hardly wait to hear that one! : )

H

HavBlue

Pete, just out of curiosity how much do you figure that original muffler assembly weighs?