07 dual headlamp how to.

W

wrightme43

The 07 wire harness does not jive with the info I was able to find OR I May be stupid, about the previous model dual headlamp mod. The green wire with the yellow/brown dots or line does not exist. The connector is in a different place. So I just had to do it a little different.

To begin my reasoning behind doing this mod.
When riding, especially at night, about one car in 10 decides its very very important to flash thier highbeams in my eyes to tell me I have a head lamp out. How that is supposed to help, I sure dont know. LOL

Last night somebody in a lifted jeep, with insane lights attached to the high beams kept flashing me. It was blinding and made it very hard to see the road, any debris, deer, and anything else that could kill me.
I figured it was 6 of one half a dozen of the other. Do I possibley take the risk of being mistaken for a car far away, instead of a motorcycle, or the risk that I will hit someone because they are blinding me?
That goes back to the question
Which one will live longer?
A motorcyclist who can see driving with 100s of blind cagers, or a blind motorcyclist with 100s of cagers that can see.

That part covered in my mind I decided to do the mod.

I went to the store and purchased this

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wrightme43

To start you need to remove the small plastic dash corners that visually finish the tank area. I used a number 3 phillips.

The next step is to remove the dash panel, it has 6 4mm allen head screws. 4 of them are obvious, two are hidden beneath the dash on the left and right.
Here it is as well.

W

wrightme43

Now you have to figure out which wire runs the low beam power.
Using a multimeter, it is the upper left wire in the larger connector. It is black with a green stripe. The black wire is the ground for both bulbs, the yellow wire coming in, and black with yellow stripe coming out, is the high beam power wire.

TEST THIS YOURSELF. YOUR BIKE MAY BE SOME OTHER WAY!!!!!

W

wrightme43

The next thing you need to do, is disconnect the right side headlamp plug. It has three slots with only two wires. What you do is open the package of headlamp sockets and remove on the the captive connectors by pressing on its retaining pin. And then insert it in the on bike connector. This is what you will feeding power to light the low beam in the right side as well.

Cut a piece of wire long enough to reach way past where you think it needs to be. Strip the wire on both ends, slip a chunk of heat shrink on the wire, crimp the marine grade heat shrink connector, heat it, then slip the heat shrink over the connector and shrink it as well.

W

wrightme43

The next step it to route this new wire along the wiring harness that feeds the headlamp already. It goes thru some little brackets that hold the wire harness. It comes out the other side along the main wire harness and lays in the bundle with it.

Strip the main wire harness on the fairing connector side.
In my mind this is best so that if something happens it is easy to disconnect.
Pull the black wire with a green stripe up from the other wires. Make sure you leave a good 4" or 5" away from the connector so that if something happens you can put it back the way it was.

Cut this wire and strip both ends.
The wire from your second low beam, and the wire that powers your first low beam will need to be crimped together in one end of a yellow butt connector so they both fit, and then the other end crimped to the power supply side wire. My heat shrink was to small to fit so I used the rubber wrap tape that you stretch to seal against water.

At this point plug the connector back in, and test the operation of your new low beam, check the high beam as well.
The major down side of this way of doing this is the low beam stays on with the high beam in the right bulb. That means no riding around all slow, or stopping with the high beams on.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wrightme43

Put your dash back together and this is what it will look like

W

wrightme43

At the same time I replaced the bulbs with Sylvania Silverstars. They are much whiter and brighter than the stock bulbs.
I like it.

W

wrightme43

Also I have 5 pigtailed connectors that will fit the fz6 headlamp socket.
For $5 I will include a blue waterproof butt connector, a normal yellow butt connector, heat shrink tubing, enough wire to do the job, and a headlamp connector with pigtailed wire. That includes shipping. Overseas will be a little extra to cover the extra shipping.

W

wrightme43

I like it very much. It helps alot with sight distance, and seeing animals and the fog line on the right. It also has completely stopped the flash flash flash hey your head lamp is out. It works well for me.

CMHrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen the how to for the dual lights for 2006 and older models but now can't find them. Can someone point me to them? Thanks

buchjoe

Reaction score
Visit site
what's the draw of the second headlamp? are you concerned about over taxing the system? why, if it's so simple, didn't Yamaha just wire both. My VStrom had both lit, and i liked that alot and would expect to like this mod as well. my concern is whether the alternator/battery/electrical system can handle the draw.
JOE

W

wrightme43

It adds 55 watts
No seeing as it has been done hundreds of times by other people on the 04-06 model.
You would have to ask Yamaha that one. LOL
I like it alot better too.
The Alt, Batt, Elec system can handle it just fine.

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
High Beams

After reading the threads on SBN I just started leaving my high beam on all the time. I don't ride at night, so I don't think anyone will complain. It at least seems like more Cagers threatening to pull out have seen me.

Maybe it's just my imagination???

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
I've only had two complaints about me riding with my high beam on in the day time, my wife and my old man. They say even in the middle of the day the high beam is extremely bright. I say " Good, at least I know I'm highly visible and too bad I burned out your retinas in the name of safety.":D

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
high beam

Screw it, I just ride with my high beams during the day and night....better to be seenandbeeinseen, especially in this town, so many tourist who aren't paying attention. Hadn't had any complaints yet.

GBinAZ

Reaction score
Visit site
just installed the dual light kit I got from Steve and it works great, went on easy and makes the bike look a lot better with both lights on. Highly recommend this kit and fix versus riding with the high beam on all the time. Any one out there with a 2007 FZ6 really should buy this kit from Steve and do the upgrade as it's super easy and really makes a great bike even better. Anyone can and should do this to their bike.

Last edited:

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
I did this mod this weekend on my Red 07 and I thought it might be worth pointing out that there is another wire that you can splice into. The wire that wrightme43 used is actually the hot wire for the left (lowbeam) headlight. Using this wire means that the lowbeam filament in the right headlight will never turn off. So when you turn the highbeam on both filaments will be burning in that lamp. I won't repeat all of the argument against this (they can be found here if you are interested), but this isn't really a good idea and there is a better option.

A close look at the wiring diagram on page 8-15 on the service manual shows that there are three wires running out of the headlight switch on the handlebar (1 = Hot when set to highbeam, 2 = Hot when set to lowbeam or highbeam, 3 = Hot when set to lowbeam). The first wire goes to the right headlamp, the second goes to the left headlamp and the third goes straight to ground. This third wire is perfectly suited for (and in my opinion intended for) use as power for the right headlamp lowbeam. The Easiest place to splice this wire is at the bottom of the handlebar before the wire bundle coming from the handlebar controls runs back into the frame.

Basically, I'm just saying that the orignal instructions are still valid for the 07 if you just know where to look. I've attached a few pictures to help other find the correct wire. Sorry if the quality is a little poor, I just snapped these with my cellphone as an afterthought. Wire A = only hot when lowbeams are on, Wire B = hot all the time.