Front Tyre Issues...

von_trippenhopf

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, the story so far:
I bought a 2004 Fz6-N about a month ago and I noticed some 'interesting' front tyre wear when I bought it. Thinking it might have been from the previous owner riding a bit hard I didn't take much notice, and it didn't seem to affect the handling in the dry.
However, I took it out in the damp conditions today and it just didn't seem to feel right, and on a sharp low speed corner it seemed to want to go straight on :eek: .
The front tyre is a Maxxis Supermaxx Radial, not a make I have used before, and the rear is a Dunlop Sportmax D220 ST.
I have attached a couple of pics of the tyre, I had just washed the bike which is why they look a bit shiny, but you can see the scuffing on the outer edge. This is equal on both sides of the tyre and certainly not from me trying to get the footrests to grind!!
I have checked the tyre pressures and they are OK. Any ideas??

The slight copper glimmer in the photos is from me wiping the tyre down with a rag that had a trace of Copper grease on it. :eek: Ooops.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That area is actually not worn down. It looks different because the surface has weathered, since it has not contacted the pavement.

Those are your front "chicken strips".

von_trippenhopf

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought that too, when I first saw them, but the surface is definately scrubbed, not newly molded rubber.
When I first got the bike the edges looked like a well used soft compound race tyre that had started to roll up and scuff at the edges. The rolls of rubber have now gone but the scuffed area remains. Odd.

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
Is it one of those tyres that has different softness of compounds on the sides? On my Dunlop Qualifier RR's you can clearly see the three different layers that make up the rubber compound - hard in the centre for treadlife, then a softer one toward the edge, and a really soft one around the outside.

von_trippenhopf

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done a search for Maxxis tyres and they don't seem to be dual compound, although that would explain the odd wear pattern. Incidentally, although they are quite cheap Maxxis, seem to be highly rated by many users.

W

wrightme43

Of course these are only my opinons that are being offered.

I reccomend against two tires of different profiles and manufacture being used on a bike. I also strongly reccomend against "value" brand tires. There is no value in a damaged body or bike.
Tires always cost less than the deductable on the bike. Medical payments kick in usually after the first 1000$ or 1500$ spent by you.

The only contact your bike has with the ground are two very small rubber patches. Quality and performance are key in this area.

I hope I have stated this diplomaticly.

Now back to being me.

LOL LOL

Get rid of the maxxis tire and get you a nice set of Avon, Michellin, Bridgestone, Perrilli, Dunlop, or Metzler tires. Your butt depends on it going where you tell it. This whole it tried to go straight when I wanted it to turn thing may be the only warning you get before you get up close and personal with Mr. Bus, or Mrs. Pavement.

Steve

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
Maxxis aren't the greatest sport-road tires.

And like "wrightme43" said, mixing 2 brands on a bike is never a good idea.
You can really mess up the handeling.

Get some well know brand tires and get a good safe handeling :thumbup:.

Speedygonzales

Reaction score
Visit site
btw ... those are chicken strips.
No standard FZ6 can lean so far the front has no chicken strips.
I they have rearsets and the bike was ridden on track maybe.
But they don't look like worn track tires at all.

von_trippenhopf

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your input guys :thumbup:, I'm not a fan of mix & match tyres either but I hadn't done anything about it as I hadn't had any problems in the dry.
As the rear tyre is fairly new (still had some moulding flash on it when I bought the bike) & I am working on a budget I will probably get a front to match.
Anybody got any reports, good or bad, on Dunlop Sportmax??

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
I think there are different styles. I have Dunlop Sportmax Qualifier RR on my FZ6, and have been pleased with them so far. Very grippy in the dry, not too shabby in the wet. Quick to warm up. They've got a 3-ply grip with more adhesion out towards the edges. I've only had them on for about 2000 miles but treadlife seems OK for a high performance tyre. Not sure how they perform in colder conditions - not very well I expect.

I don't know if I'd get them again. They came with the bike. I might try the Michelin Pilot Road 2 next, which get good reviews.

Yammi Dodger

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your input guys :thumbup:, I'm not a fan of mix & match tyres either but I hadn't done anything about it as I hadn't had any problems in the dry.
As the rear tyre is fairly new (still had some moulding flash on it when I bought the bike) & I am working on a budget I will probably get a front to match.
Anybody got any reports, good or bad, on Dunlop Sportmax??

Only my opinion also, but I would never mix and match tyres. Cant say much about the Dunlop as I have not tried them as of yet. The best Tyre I have used on my fazer are the Bridgestone Battlax BT-021.

Having set performance standards worldwide with the renowned sport touring BT-020 (NT), Bridgestone has now gone one better. Its successor, the new Battlax BT-021, is a true luxury sport tyre, with confident front-end feel, high stability both on motorways and winding roads, strong grip on wet and dry, and plenty of shock absorption for comfortable long journeys. It beats BT-020 performance on all major criteria, including higher mileage in all riding modes.

Taken from ......Bridgestone United Kingdom