Listen to your bike

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I took a long ride yesterday. On the way home I saw my shadow on the side of the road and saw my plate looked like it was wiggling. I thought, "Does it always do that?" I figured I'd check it out when I got home.
When I got home I was pretty beat so I went in, never checking...
I got on to ride to work this morning, and on the way out of the driveway I hear a very faint "thunk." Hmmm... "I should check all my bolts, I just installed the rear wheel a few days ago, might be good to check the torque on them again," I thought.
I rode about a mile, then took a little turn. This time a pronounced "THUNK." Crap, I should check this NOW.
I pulled over and what do I see? My plate holder (FAZR6 FE) wedged in between my tire and tire huger! Bad situation. My tire got pretty scraped up, my tire huger is busted up, I lost my signals, the FE kit is destroyed. If I had kept going, my tire would have definitely been punctured and I could have gotten seriously hurt.
I'll take some photos later and post them up.

So, listen to your machine. Mine was trying to tell me that the bolts were loose and I needed to check them. I should have done it right then and there... Now I need to replace the holder, signals, huger, and possibly a brand spankin' new tire.....:spank:

Last edited:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Does your head hurt from kicking yourself in it? I know mine would......

That really sucks man! Good luck on the parts hunt!

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Here are some pics of the damage. The FAZR6 kit is toast. I'm going to try and rig something with L brakets to the Leo Vince hangers for the plate, get some LED strips for signals, and call it a day.
The signals were gone, the plate illuminator was gone, the huger is off now, and the wires are stripped.

Plate's all funked up from rubbing the tire.
IMG_2177.jpg

The FAZR6 kit: That nasty jagged metal edge was digging into the tire.
IMG_2179.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg

Huger:
IMG_2181.jpg

IMG_2182.jpg

The gash: Not as bad as I thought after taking a few turns...
IMG_2183.jpg

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy crap !

I have heard of this happening with some of the cheap ebay fe's but not on the type you have.

You were lucky you didn't wreck mate.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I even had Loctite on the bots holding it on. I think the vibes from the exhaust just rattled them loose....

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hear ya on this one! Just read this and had that happen last week. On the last 5 miles of my ride I started to hear a deep toned rattle...When I got home the left side bolt for the fender (stock) had fallen out. Luckily, the kawi shop nearby had a bolt with the same thread. Plus they gave it to me for free.