Buying a back protector. What to keep in mind?

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking about trying on some back protectors and maybe buying one from this years motorcycle fair. What are the main qualities to consider about materials, fitting and sizing?

If you have experience in using a back protector or have tried different models, please share your information.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
A hard shelled BP isn't always the best. Check out some reviews that have been done by motorycle magazines like SportRider. Different BP's have different safety ratings much the same as helmets do...certian ones meet different standards.

I recommend the T-pro which has been raved about by many and carries some of the highest standards out there. I use it in conjuction with a chest protector and have loved it so far.

Armor
________
Live sex webshows

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
not a whole lot of help from here other than if you have never worn a BP then you may or may not like it.

I borrowed one for a track day that i did last summer and rode with it a few times on the street first and having it on made me feel a lot safer and gave me a lot more confidence. I am looking to get one this spring as well so i will keep an eye in this thread too.

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
We have back protection built into our summer armor (Joe Rocket and Icon) and our winter jackets (Motosport). All with elbow, shoulder, back, and one (Icon) even with protection in the front. I guess I am a bit ignorant, but I thought all the modern jackets for motorcycle riding had full protection.:confused: I guess I haven't looked at enough of them or been observant enough. I am impressed with Icon's products, even if they are a bit expensive.:thumbup:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
We have back protection built into our summer armor (Joe Rocket and Icon) and our winter jackets (Motosport). All with elbow, shoulder, back, and one (Icon) even with protection in the front. I guess I am a bit ignorant, but I thought all the modern jackets for motorcycle riding had full protection.:confused: I guess I haven't looked at enough of them or been observant enough. I am impressed with Icon's products, even if they are a bit expensive.:thumbup:

Yes, most all jackets and suits will come with a small crappy piece of foam they call a BP. Better than nothing, yes. But a quality purpose built BP will perform better when you need it most.

Chest protectors FTW as well.
________
Extreme q manual

Last edited:

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, most all jackets and suits will come with a small crappy piece of foam they call a BP. Better than nothing, yes. But a quality purpose built BP will perform better when you need it most.

I will have to look a little bit closer at what is available. Maybe I need beefier armor!

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site

The individual protectors will offer better protection and afford a similar range of motion. The ones in the jackets and such do offer some protection but in a decent tumble have a bad tendency to move around more and stop protecting the area they are supposed to. The individual pieces are locked into place better and so work better. But in the end it all comes down to personal preference and riding style.:thumbup:

Philoz

Reaction score
Visit site
I've always thought the seperate Dainese back protectors (worn like a back pack) were the pick of the bunch. Though personally I'd only use it for the track - $200 well spent.

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks finboz, I'll have to print that out and read it through with a thought.

bikerider

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the Icon field armor back protector. It was only $70 off of ebay. It fits great and a whole lot better than the back pad in my joe rocket jacket. I have only tried this one on and seems good to me. Im sure there is better, but for the price I think its a good deal