Some Conversion Help.

kargo

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, I have started converting my bike but ran into some small over looked details that I want to clarify before I go ahead and order more parts.

I'm going to go with a "drag" type barthis here and was wondering if I need bar ends? I would still be using my stock grips as I find them nice. Would any of the "universal" type bar ends work? I'm just not sure about how or if the bar is threaded... or if a bar end is even required.

Second, I see some bikes with mirrors that seem to be attached by the levers. Do I need a type of fitting that would make this work? I don’t want the bar end type.

Any help to make my conversion smoother would be much appreciated. :thumbup:. It was going good but I hit a slight speed bump that I just want to clear up.

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
Definitly gonna want bar ends to keep the vibrations to a minimum, before purchasing bars make sure they are threaded beforehand, i initially bought bar end mirrors and didnt like them so i opted for these ones and the mounts. http://www.flyncycle.com/Universal_Motorcycle_Mirror_p/mru-012.htm
http://www.flyncycle.com/Mirror_Mount_Adaptor_p/mra-f1-xb-blk-p.htm
While your looking for answers on the conversion check out my thread on what i did
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-streetfighter/8039-naked-fz6.html

Last edited:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Alot of people don't realise how important your bar ends are, particularly that they be the heavy enough. I'm not that mechanically minded, but I did have a great (and experienced) mechanic explain to me why and how they are important when I had to get one replaced on my last bike.
I wish I remembered anything more than the fact that they ARE important, but I just remember his arguement being very good, making alot of sense, and agreeing.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
You definitely want bar ends. If you can't find the details on their website, email them and ask how those bars are threaded.

As for the levers, you can drill out the mirror mount on the brake lever, but if you want to mount to the clutch side lever you will have to buy a replacement lever with a built in mount. I originally did this with a cheap ($10) lever but have since replaced it with the clutch lever of of a Kawi Versys (Ron Ayers, $65). I'm much happier with the versys lever, so much smoother and it's actually better quality than our stock levers. I talk about drilling the mount and my cheap levers in this thread if you are interested.

One last piece of advice: Take your time on the wiring, solder whenever you can, only crimp when you have to (and solder these too if you can). You'll appreciate this when you don't have to do a tear down 6 months later to figure out why your headlight keeps going out every time you turn the forks to the left.