The FZ6-R Project/Track Bike

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
that is a very nice lookig track bike, what kind of engie work have you done? also is that rear Ohlins specific to the FZ6?

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
that is a very nice lookig track bike, what kind of engie work have you done? also is that rear Ohlins specific to the FZ6?

I've only done a few things engine wise.

PowerCommander III USB
K&N Air Filter
K&N Oil Filter
Motul Full Synthetic Oil
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
Scorpion Stainless Steel Track Only Exhaust

As for the Ohlins rear shock, that is the "official" Ohlins FZ6 rear shock (46HRC, there is also a 46ER [might be 46ERC which is not "fully adjustable"]) which I was told is no longer in production. I bought it used from a fellow FZ6 racer from Australia off the SBN forum. R6 or R1 rear shock mods might be only way to upgrade rear shocks in the near future.

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

That is very cool. It looks like it will be alot of fun.

Do you have a street bike as well, or did you just go to track only riding?

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
That is very cool. It looks like it will be alot of fun.

Do you have a street bike as well, or did you just go to track only riding?

I use my 07 R6S as my street bike at the moment. The FZ6 is way more utilitarian but there is something really fun about riding the R6S everyday. It's kinda like having a Mazda Miata MX-5 as your everyday car (I once had one as a rental). Though it only seats 2 and my luggage would only fit in the passenger seat, it has an appeal to it that driving a more "useful" car doesn't. I liken the FZ6 (04-06) and R6S (03-04, 06-08) to the Mustang V6 and the Mustang GT (a V8). While the Mustang V6 is nice in its own way, the Mustang GT is more of a rush to drive and some of us might put up with some of its less friendly features just to have that rush everyday. I've ridden a couple miles in one day on my FZ6 and was barely tired. Riding the R6S for more than 100 miles is a chore and you look for ways to make it easier. But my day usually consists of a 3 mile ride to work, 10 more miles between our different sites, and 3 miles back home. Sometimes I ride 45 miles to gf's place but I usually stay the night afterwards.

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
hmm ..finaly did the r6 thing huh, very cool! wish i had the resources to do it. also are you sure you want the front that low? that might give you some unwanted problems. if you want more feel keep he clip-ons as close together as possible and get better tires. have you setup the suspension yet (bigest thing you could for feeling that front bite besides seat time).

Last edited:

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
hmm ..finaly did the r6 thing huh, very cool! wish i had the resources to do it. also are you sure you want the front that low? that might give you some unwanted problems. if you want more feel keep he clip-ons as close together as possible and get better tires. have you setup the suspension yet (bigest thing you could for feeling that front bite besides seat time).

Good to see you're still around ped.

DefyInertia mentioned that I might find a tendency for the bike to want to endo under hard braking but what else might I find? The fork were set that low when I did my first track day but I also still had my handle bars and which meant my wrist were about 6 inches higher.

And no, the suspension is not yet setup. Recommendations for the rear? I was gonna pull the recommend setup from the Sport Rider settings and maybe be go a tad bit stiffer up front to account for my 230lbs. I think I have a link that either you or DefyInertia posted about setting up sag and other suspension settings.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The bike might be kinda twitchy mid corner and turn-in might be more excessive than you'd like. I try to keep mine as high as possible for braking reasons while still having acceptable turn-in, weight bias, and stability characteristics.

I'd start by grabbing a friend, gearing up, and setting you sag to an acceptable level front and back. I'd then set the comp/damp all the way to one end and start making adjustments from there. You could probably find an experienced rider track side to help you out during lunch or something...

Ped, what do you mean by "keep the clipons close together"? Do you mean, keep them pulled back as far as possible?
________
Marijuana bubbler

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Motul Full Synthetic Oil

As for the Ohlins rear shock, that is the "official" Ohlins FZ6 rear shock (46HRC, there is also a 46ER [might be 46ERC which is not "fully adjustable"]) which I was told is no longer in production. I bought it used from a fellow FZ6 racer from Australia off the SBN forum. R6 or R1 rear shock mods might be only way to upgrade rear shocks in the near future.

Don;t most tracks discourage the use of synthetics due to the difficulty of cleaning in the event of a spill? I know the track i work at HATES cleaning synthetics and if a bike or car spills any on the road course it is next to impossible to get it dry and safe.

Also that is a shame that Ohlins might discontinue the fz6 shock, when i win the lottery i was going to do that upgrade, but i doubt that it will be anytime soon.

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
Good to see you're still around ped.

DefyInertia mentioned that I might find a tendency for the bike to want to endo under hard braking but what else might I find? The fork were set that low when I did my first track day but I also still had my handle bars and which meant my wrist were about 6 inches higher.

And no, the suspension is not yet setup. Recommendations for the rear? I was gonna pull the recommend setup from the Sport Rider settings and maybe be go a tad bit stiffer up front to account for my 230lbs. I think I have a link that either you or DefyInertia posted about setting up sag and other suspension settings.

well you might find it works for you, but theres alot of things you'll have to go through first. i have tons of feedback with stock everything..i say look elsewhere. when i put 6mm spacers in my forks i could tell a big difference on exit. the bike obviously wanted to run wide and so i couldnt open the thottle as fast/early....6mm made that giant difference. but had i done that 6 months prior i wouldnt have noticed im sure...seat time. ive seen top racers with their forks like that but it was on purpose.

NO, you cant go by those settings SR, especially with that shock. learn to do it yourself. might wanna get this too.
ott_shell_v2 (go to suspension and its the first option, that guy is chaz davies suspension tech btw)

if i were you id start with setting the sag, and forks at .5" raised. if you have trouble holding a exit line lower it in 3mm increments. raising the rear sag will help with this and so will stiffening the rears low speed compression (but not to the point that it packs mid stroke). the point of having forks lower is to help turn-in and exit tightness. that might be some of the reason the front is twitchy in te first place. because thats the trade off with fast steering.

when setting compression and rebound start with one up stroke and settle. you know how to bunce the front to check this right? stand on the left, hold front brake and give it a real hard bounce down then let it move on its own. shoud come up then settle a little (~2").

The bike might be kinda twitchy mid corner and turn-in might be more excessive than you'd like. I try to keep mine as high as possible for braking reasons while still having acceptable turn-in, weight bias, and stability characteristics.

I'd start by grabbing a friend, gearing up, and setting you sag to an acceptable level front and back. I'd then set the comp/damp all the way to one end and start making adjustments from there. You could probably find an experienced rider track side to help you out during lunch or something...

Ped, what do you mean by "keep the clipons close together"? Do you mean, keep them pulled back as far as possible?

clip-ons like vortex have removable handles that also can be adjusted in or out..i.e. your hands could be closer to each other or farther apart laterally. if they are really far apart its easier to to turn in due to leverage, but will have less feeling.

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
just curious to where you got the plastics from (fairing and stuff)

I got them from CobraSkinz on ebay. He sold me an 03-04 R6 Upper and Lower Front Fairing, 03-04 R6 Front Fender, and an 04-06 R1 Rear Tail for $325 shipped. Cheapest price I found and he customized my order for me for free. My original plan was to modify the all the fiberglass fairings to fit but I might be buying a pre-customized rear tail from a French company through wavex at SBN.

youngGun

Reaction score
Visit site
thats the cheapest i seen a full set of body work......he customized your order......does this mean he did the fiberglass work himself or did he send you the panels that would fit (ie 04-05 upper, and 03 lowers instead of all 05 panels).....

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
thats the cheapest i seen a full set of body work......he customized your order......does this mean he did the fiberglass work himself or did he send you the panels that would fit (ie 04-05 upper, and 03 lowers instead of all 05 panels).....

I paid for a full set of 03-05 R6 fairings. He asks you to specify whether or not you want 03-04 or an 05 (or 04 Raven, 04 Raven & 05's have inverted forks) front fender. But I specifically asked that he send me the following instead of a complete R6 set (the last part is the customized part of my order, meaning he sent me a non-standard set of fairings).

03-04 R6 Front Fender
03-04 R6 Upper & Lower Fairing
04-06 R1 Rear Tail

Last edited: