Accessory power socket question.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to install an accessory power outlet socket on my FZ6. (I've done a forum search but nothing comes up).
If anyone has installed one, can you please LMK the best location (there are lots of good places on the inner fairing), which side works best (left or right) and what brand of power socket works best (i.e., waterproof, quality and durability).
Thanks!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to install an accessory power outlet socket on my FZ6. (I've done a forum search but nothing comes up).
If anyone has installed one, can you please LMK the best location (there are lots of good places on the inner fairing), which side works best (left or right) and what brand of power socket works best (i.e., waterproof, quality and durability).
Thanks!
Hi mate,
I have also looked into this, as I would like to run my sat nav of of the battery.
The bike clothing store near me has a guy who has installed a marine socket.

Neil

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the marine socket seems like the way to go, but i have to ask, why not just hardwire the power cord without the socket?

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
the marine socket seems like the way to go, but i have to ask, why not just hardwire the power cord without the socket?

Good question! :) I've already "hard wired" my Battery Tender which has the little offset male/female connector that I could use for other accessories, but having a power outlet socket (or even 2) in a handy place would give me more options and more versatility.
Oh, edited to add: I've looked at Marine Sockets which really are ideal, but man alive...why is everything in a Marine store treble the cost of everywhere else?

Last edited:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site

gamestone

Reaction score
www.gamestone.co.uk
I'm still waiting for the Bags Connection thing to arrive, they have everything in stock apart from the actual connection ring :mad:, it's been two months and no joy.

They said it will be in next week but I'm not holding my breath, I will post a review when I get it installed.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
The previous owner had put one on my bike. It is a clean install. I am pretty sure he just came right off the battery with it and then covered the wires with some loom.

DSCF3440.jpg

We also wired one up on my father's Nomad. and we just hooked it up directly do the battery. And if I am not mistaken we went with one that is "waterproof" just because it seems that everytime they go riding, it pours.

-bryan

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! Personally, I'd like to mount a power socket on one of the side inner fairing panels, where it is not so "in your face"...however, the high mount in the picture certainly makes it easily accessable, even with gloves on.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Check out Powerlet - Powersport Standard Connector for a few options on this.

That style plug is what comes as standard equipment on BMW bikes. They're half the size of a cigarette lighter and make a much better electrical connection.

Me, I plan to hardwire in my V1, heated grips and any other bits and bobs I decide to add. But I do want one accessory plug and possibly a normal cigarette lighter outlet. For things like inflators for air mattresses, cellphone chargers, etc, they'll come in handy.

aaron76

Reaction score
Visit site
This is what I ended up doing

I used a weather proof cig socket from a local parts store. This has a spring closed lid that is water proof I found it advertised as a truck box accessory outlit. I then connected the other end to the battery with lugs and a switch now not only can I run my cel phone charger, radar detector, GPS, but I just plug a custom end onto my battery tender and maintain my battery for longer than normal storage. Oh yes as another tip some velcro on top or your brake reservoir makes a good place for a radar detector. I also painted the lower part of my windscreen on the inside. This coupled with antislip pading gives me a kind of dash space for things like sunglasses. as long as you don't drive like you stole it.:Sport:

kerpal

Reaction score
Visit site
I used a weather proof cig socket from a truck parts store. This has a spring closed lid that is water proof I found it advertised as a truck box accessory outlit. I then connected the other end to the battery with lugs and a switch now not only can I run my cel phone charger, radar detector, GPS, but I just plug a custom end onto my battery tender and maintain my battery for longer than normal storage. Oh yes as another tip some velcro on top or your brake reservoir makes a good place for a radar detector. I also painted the lower part of my windscreen on the inside. This coupled with antislip pading gives me a kind of dash space for things like sunglasses. as long as you don't drive like you stole it.:Sport:

Really??? I didn't know that...

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I've found a suitable power socket....now I'm trying to decide where to mount it.
To those of you who have power sockets on their FZ6's (or other bikes for that matter), which is the most practical side and the most practical place to mount the socket?
I'm thinking right side, on the horizontal surface of the inner fairing where it's nice and flat.